StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of increasing the horse power by removing a rbber hose near the air filter? I haven't looked under my tank yet so I was told this is an easy way to gain horsepower. Can this be confirmed? Thanks:confused:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
It'll make more noise. That's about it. You can spend lots of money for very little horsepower. Suspension mods give more bang for the buck.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I don't know the answer, but from everything I've read about the Wee engine and tuning, it's pretty well optimized as it stands. Even fairly serious tweaking (aftermarket exhaust, TRE etc.) only seems to yield a minimal power gain (maybe 5% at the very most). I'd be very surprised if anything you can easily do to a stock engine (like removing a hose) would make any noticable difference (at least not in a positive direction!).

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
hp can be boosted by air

anytime you can change the air ratio you are adding horsepower. That is why there is aftermarket airfilters and power comanders. i heard that removing the two philip head screws and the airfilter snorkel it does become slightly louder but there is a significant difference. I would think that the basics of a better exhaust and airfilter is always the first place to start

·
Registered
860 Posts
Pulling the snorkel on the dl650 and 1k only makes the intake noise louder. You wont see a performance increase from something like that on these bikes.

·
38,104 Posts
It's not an intake hose but a tuned velocity stack. Taking it out interferes with flow patterns yet doesn't help much with restriction. The way to get more power is to pack more air into the combustion chamber and add the proper amount of fuel to meet the needs of the air. A freer flowing intake and exhaust will help but not much unless the stock system is restrictive. It isn't. Playing with intake tuning and aftermarket exhausts, cam profiles and timing may add a little but at the typical expense of tractability. Significant power needs larger combustion chambers (more displacement) forced air injection like turbo or super chargers or added oxidizers like nitrous oxide. The Wee is a poor initial platform for adding power. The best way to improve the power to weight ratio is to remove weight.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
I say Shenanigans

The rubber is a muffler to pass crap of the the Evil Promotion Agency noise regulations

Mine is in the tool box and yes she honks like God intended. Sometime soon If I can find a flea bay airbox cover I will experiment by putting many large holes in it so air box is not a "tuned" vessel. The tuning part is why there is always a hole in the torque curve.

I would ask if anyone has tried the foam socks and NO airbox at all

·
38,104 Posts
I would ask if anyone has tried the foam socks and NO airbox at all
I would ask them what carburetors they used to replace the FI system. You can't run FI without the sensors in the airbox. Where is this hole?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
...The Wee is a poor initial platform for adding power...
Exactly right. As someone with a lot of experience racing SV's I can tell you that power gains (at least if you want any kind of reliability) are hard to come by and cost major money.* Nothing is as easy as disconnecting a hose.

If you want more power a full exhaust, PC and second gen SV cams will probably get you to the low 70s. Everything after that is going to cost a lot and come with a reliability hit.

*For example, I spent over $5000 building a motor that made 82hp. Yes, I could have done it cheaper, but it was built for endurance racing and needed to last. It did it's job, but eventually broke a crank at the end of the second season. All built SV's break cranks. :)

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I got about an 8% hp boost for nothing. According to interweb wisdom, ten pound weight loss equals one horsepower gained, and I've lost fifty pound over the past several years. In fact, it's saved me money on bp and gout meds. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
...Mine is in the tool box and yes she honks like God intended. Sometime soon If I can find a flea bay airbox cover I will experiment by putting many large holes in it so air box is not a "tuned" vessel. The tuning part is why there is always a hole in the torque curve...
Simply not true. Airboxes (at least if properly designed) smooth out the power curve and reduce the size of the "holes".
The normal result of a switch to pod filters is a bike that "feels" faster because while the peak power is about the same there's much less midrange. So when the bike climbs out of that region it seems like a big hit of power.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Rotten Apples

You see.....this is why they have forums. It is terrific to have you Greywolf! Too many people like to change apples to oranges but don't realize all they did was create a rotten apple.

·
38,104 Posts
Guys like Rich Desmond and PTRider are the really knowledgeable ones along with JohnofChar at VSRI. I learn what I can from folks like them and the big thing is I have more time to spend on the forum.

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
I got about an 8% hp boost for nothing. According to interweb wisdom, ten pound weight loss equals one horsepower gained, and I've lost fifty pound over the past several years. In fact, it's saved me money on bp and gout meds. :thumbup:
Which means you have more money for gas, and you'll live longer to take more trips. It's a win/win/win!! :hurray: :)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So what about the claims of increased hp by going to a K&N or other higher end air filters? Is this false advertising?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Higher octane fuel

So this brings me to another question. Will either V Strom model benefit from 89 or higher octane fuel?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts