StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way of making the OEM mufflers loader with out to much modifications. Whats behind those allen keys screws on that black cover around the tail pipe. Does this area allow you any access to the inside of the muffler.

Scooter

P

·
0 Posts
Last year I was monitoring the Yahoo V-Strom forum for a while. A number of guys there were simply drilling a hole through the baffle plates in their DL1000 mufflers, and they were happy with the results. I don't remember the size, but if you do a search of that forum you'll probably come up with some information.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
What I and my other Vstrom riding buddy have done is drill not thru the center of the opening, rather 4-9 holes drilled around the muffler that makes the most satisfactory change in sound. Drilling thru the center seems to do mostly nothing. When we were done it sounded alot like the "Remus" sound. No too loud. It has a nice rumble upto 50 mph and about non existent at freeway speeds. We both like to run up the Revs and ride in mostly the 4500 - 7000 rpm area.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
e

I read that article in DL Q&A about the hole saw. Don't like the idea of the metal chips left in the muffler. Sounds like the only way to correctly do it is to cut them in half, remove the baffles and weld them back together. Sounds like a winter project.

SemperVee are you drilling the holes where people were using a hole saw deep inside the muffler. Can you get the chips out of the muffler when you do this. I guess you need a long drill and what size were you using. The drill is going to wander when doing this.

Scooter

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
No problem... I have done this before with other bikes.. your exhaust is
E X H A U S T... - *Not intake* Minor amount of metal dust anyway.
I drilled just around the ring that protrudes out - Very easy to do.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
s

SemperVee

Let me understand ring that protrudes out. At the rear of the exhaust there is the tail pipe. Is this what you are refering to. The bike has a black cover over the exhaust with socket head cap screws. Then there is a chrome ring and inside that is the tail pipe. Are you drilling ( what size holes works the best) one set of holes around the end of the tail pipe. Or multiple holes along a short lenght of tail pipe. Sorry I'am a Machinist and need more details.

Scooter

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Scooter,

I have made 4 holes of 1/4 in. each @ 12, 3, 6, and 9 O'clock on the hardened wall that surrounds the tail pipe just inside the muffler.
If I can find my Digital camera I will take photos. Conversely my Vstrom Riding buddy Barry has made 6 holes of 5/16's that he is very happy with.
I have a much taller windshield than he, so I have a propensity to hear more than he does with a much shorter shield. None the less.. we are both happy with the simple modification.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
m

So your then drilling on an angle just inside the tail pipe, probably about 3/4" in. You want to drill inside the muffler right.

You could probably try both methods to make the mufflers slightly loader.
I'm presuming they will not be as load as an after market muffler.

Scooter

G

·
0 Posts
Making the exhaust modification was still not clear to me despite all the messages. Today at the dealer I noticed why. The 1000 exhaust differs quite a lot from the 650. Does somebody know how to modify the 650 pipe?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
d

Good question about the DL650.

What I have always considered about the VS's is their versatility. I find a loud exhaust is not good out in the bush or even forested areas near Hwys. An animal is more likely to get startled and cross your path with a loud exhaust.

Although after getting mowed by a human species on my 1000, I think a loud exhaust is a good idea.

Scooter

G

·
0 Posts
Like to ride fast without a lot of noise, but just a little bit more than original would be fine. When waiting for a traffic light beside a Tuono don't have to watch the rev needle is mine still running or not :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
A louder exhaust for a performance gain, I can somewhat understand. A louder exhaust just for the sake of a louder exhaust I can't. This is leading to a Harley mentality. Loud exhaust lead to off road areas being closed, and more laws and restrictions for all motorcycles by the non-riding, but voting general public.

P

·
0 Posts
I took a circle drill , about a half in in diameter, and drilled a circle in the baffle . Its got noticed improvement, NOT alot, but you can tell thats it running now.. *DL-650 model*,,i'm still considering putting away some cash for a 2Bros can though. if you try to do this, your gonna need an extender for the drill to make it about a foot long, the baffle is way deep into the muffler.

G

·
0 Posts
There must be a great difference in construction between the 650 and the 1000 muffler I suppose! I did the modification as described on the forum "somewhat louder" that is the holesaw trick. And yes indeed I took the almost maximum size from 23 mm. The result? The exhaust is now fresh painted and smells like new! There is some story between. After making the hole there was not more sound but much more noise :cry: . Not a nice deep sound but a very annoying hard noise like a barking dog specially when opening the throttle. Not accelerating anymore it was bearable but nothing better The noise was the same as if there was a big hole in the exhaust, like a car with a broken pipe So after a short test ride it was clear for me, Undo :!:
Inside the can are 2 compartments When making a hole deep inside the gas flows not via the second part but straight from the kat into the pipe that ends into the chrome cover BTW the chrome cover seems to be just a cover without a function but the looks
Because undo with metal isn't that easy as Word it took some effort. The can has been opened at a weld and the hole inside is repaired and the can rewelded. Now the muffler is nicely painted and looks (and sounds) as if nothing has happened :D

S

·
0 Posts
Drilling baffle in OEM exhaust

I took a common pry type bar that tapers down to a point and sharpened the point. The bar is about 20" long. You can get them at places like Sears. The hardest part is looking with a mag light in the muffler and getting the point in the center of the baffle plate. It is then easy to punch through the baffle using a hammer on the bar and you don't even have to hit it very hard with the sharp point.

Put your bike in gear and turn the handlebars all the way to the left before hammering. Better safe than sorry.

This makes about a 3/8" hole in the center of the plate.

This part is for Scooter the machinist. Then I took a long 7/16" drill bit and made it longer by making a bushing to connect a 14" long piece of 3/8 drill rod to the 7/16" drill bit. I used a 2" long piece of 5/8" drill rod to make the bushing. I drilled a 7/16" hole in one end of the bushing and a 3/8" hole in the other end. Then I welded the 3/8" drill rod, bushing and 7/16" drill bit together to make a 7/16" drill bit about 18" long and it will fit a common 3/8" drill. I then enlarged the hole in the baffle plate to 7/16".

Then using the same process described above I used a 1" drill bit and made it 18" long using the bushing and 3/8" drill rod setup. Welded all that together and enlarged the 7/16" hole in the baffle plate to 1".

1" is the largest drill bit that will fit down the muffler. My bike is louder at idle and around town at lower rpm's. On the highway it is just as quiet as it was and has a nice deep booming sound like a Ducati on deacceleration.

I can stick my tape measure all the way down the muffler and into the header pipe so evidently there is only one baffle plate in the 1000's muffler. I have put about 600 miles on my bike since this mod and it runs fine and I like that it is quiet on the highway but has a nice sound at idle and low rpms. Plus looking at the ends of the muffler it looks completely stock and unmolested. I like the looks of the stock exhaust.

I downloaded a wav. file of the two brothers cans but it sounds pretty loud for a sport-touring bike with long travel suspension. At full throttle acceleration it has a nice louder powerful sound in combination with the intake noise. And it is just as quiet on the highway as a stock bike.

Like I said the hardest part was punching that first hole in the aproximate center of the baffle plate. Easy to do if you are a machinist or have a machinist buddy. I spent 0 dollars on this mod as I had access to the materials.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts