StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all... I really hope I am posting in the correct section as Im using tapatalk...

Been a long time, so Im busy fixing up my strom... I purchased a remote start alarm system, and installed everything so far, but Im stuck trying to connect the remote start feature... It has a blue and a orange wire that operates this feature.. the blue I have connected and it does turn the starter motor when I press the button.. but I think I wired the orange wire to the wrong place as it doesnt start and the clocks and pannel doesnt light up.. I wired it to the orange and white wire below the tank next to the one coil (seen this on a youtube video of a similar install) but it doesnt work. And the manual only shows it should be wired to toe "positive out" from the ignition... Well Im not sure which wire that is so that the bike would start..

If anyone could give me some advise would really appreciate it.

See attached the pic of the instructions I got with the alarm.

Thanks in advance guys.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,422 Posts
I am still sitting here bumfizzled over wanting to install remote start on a V Strom!

But that is just me.

Not sure what bike you are working on, but the older DL 1000 has a built in anti theft circuit built into the switch. I don't see how you could wire around that? So, there may be circuits on the bike you are working on that will have to be defeated. Not powering up the gauges means it is probably not powering up the ECU and fuel pump.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the k7 DL650. dont think there are any security circuits... But yet, the fuel pump, cluster and ignition has to get power before it would start Im sure

·
Administrator
13,731 Posts
Unless you have some severe cold-start driveabilty issues I can't see any reason you would want to remote start a bike. Start it and ride away, although gently for the first few minutes. Less wear and tear, better for mileage and better for the environment.

..Tom

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just want it wired as there is a button for it on the remote and I would not mind the feature at all...

·
5,422 Posts
Each to their own. I have remote start on the Jeep and I like it there. But there is a reason Auto manufacturers don't offer remote start on manual transmission vehicles. Same reason I am thinking it isn't a foolproof option on a bike.

What happens when you leave it in gear, or someone walks by and taps the shift lever?

I am all for doing stuff on your own in your own way and wish you luck. I think you would at least need the shop manual with electrical diagrams to get this to work. That pic you show above looks like a generic diagram. You would have to start by energizing the "engine on" circuit and the "starter relay" circuit at the same time. I see nothing in the generic diagram about that. Since you would have to have the clutch lever pulled in for the starter circuit to operate when bike is in gear, that might make my worries above less of a real issue.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
True... No doubt that the vstrom is much more complicated than the generic diagram due to the clutch, stand switch and what not... Thats why I ask the questions.., i would really love to connect all the features

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been here since 2005.......this is a first, and makes ZERO sense.
Well you know what they say... There's always a first....

Why is it such a crime? The alarm system I bought has 5 buttons, of which one is the remote start feature. So I wanna wire in all the features... What is so wrong with that?

Also, there are many times in one's life that you come across something in your life that you don't have any interest in whatsoever, just keep on scrolling then... Thats what I do..

·
Registered
353 Posts
It is definitely not a crime. The interest in this thread will be phenomenal . I am a wiring dumbass , so I can offer no help , but I certainly hope you succeed. On a similar note I never saw a need for a heated motorcycle seat because that is always the warmest part of my body , but lots of people like them. So , I say GO FOR IT , and keep us posted.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is definitely not a crime. The interest in this thread will be phenomenal . I am a wiring dumbass , so I can offer no help , but I certainly hope you succeed. On a similar note I never saw a need for a heated motorcycle seat because that is always the warmest part of my body , but lots of people like them. So , I say GO FOR IT , and keep us posted.
True... And thanks bud

·
Administrator
17,367 Posts
Well you know what they say... There's always a first....

Why is it such a crime? The alarm system I bought has 5 buttons, of which one is the remote start feature. So I wanna wire in all the features... What is so wrong with that?

Also, there are many times in one's life that you come across something in your life that you don't have any interest in whatsoever, just keep on scrolling then... Thats what I do..

Didn't say I am not interested in whether you get this to work or not, just that it doesn't make sense for a motorcyle nor has anyone ever done it to my knowledge. I run this forum, so I don't tend to scroll on......and I love to participate like everyone else. :smile2: Good luck with your project, it only has to make sense to you. :wink2:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Didn't say I am not interested in whether you get this to work or not, just that it doesn't make sense for a motorcyle nor has anyone ever done it to my knowledge. I run this forum, so I don't tend to scroll on......and I love to participate like everyone else. :smile2: Good luck with your project, it only has to make sense to you. :wink2:
Ah I see now... Ok then, didn't know you run the forum, understandable.. yea I wana get it working. Thanks

·
Registered
353 Posts
My Jeep has factory remote start and I really like it so I wanted it in my truck . It's a 2010 Dodge Ram truck that has key start (not pushbutton like the Jeep) . A local company was able to install remote start BUT .....but when I get in the truck and it's running I still have to put the key in and switch it to "run" before I can drive it. Just thinking about your bike I would think something similar will be necessary .

·
5,422 Posts
Heated seats? I even run mine in warmer temps. Found out it seems to make the blood circulate down there better and is more comfortable on long rides. I have a LOT of blood there, as I am all ass as I hear it......

As for remote start on the bike, I hope you figure it out. I respect those that take the road less traveled and see the journey through. I am still bumfizzled that a company offers this and actually has instructions for motorcycle wiring. Which means, one would hope, they had it working on something!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
As Slow Eddie has already pointed out, from a safety point of view, the remote start should be wired in such a manner to only function if and when the bike out of gear (in neutral). With this in mind, some how the neutral light wiring would have to be wired into the remote start circuit. Not sure how, but just a thought..

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
"And the manual only shows it should be wired to toe "positive out" from the ignition... Well Im not sure which wire that is so that the bike would start."

Henne, remove the wires from the coil and using a 12V test lamp or voltmeter, ground the testlamp or common meter lead and probe the disconnected coil wires to find out which one has 12V with the ignition key in the "ON" position. Splice the orange wire to that wire.
Many remote start systems power the ignition bypassing the ignition switch which will activate the instrument cluster, and allow remote start.
Ive done more than my fair share of time in Hell installing remote start systems in Mazdas.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts