StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a Rox riser and need to relocate my brake line and electrical wires behind the handlebars.

1. -- How do I get the electrical lines out of those springy things?

2. -- When I move the brake line I will have to disconnect it from the reservoir. Can I just bolt it back on and refill the res with brake fluid or will I have to bleed the brakes?

I did a few Searches on the web site, but couldn't find anything on this.

TIA

·
Registered
654 Posts
What springy things are you referring to? If you mean the wire attachments to the top triple clamp, there are small bolts holding them to the clamp - just un-do them and reattach later or use a couple of loosely secured zip ties to group the wires together to something else. Be sure nothing binds when you turn the bars lock to lock.

You will have to bleed the brake system if you even crack the bolt loose on the attachment to the reservoir.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These springy things are about 6 " to 8" below that and it appears that I would have to disassemble the whole mess below the triple clamp to get it off because it's not bolted on like the upper ones are.

This is on an '04 DL650.

Thanks for the reply. :)

·
Registered
654 Posts
OK I just checked the bike and I see what you are talking about. No big deal either. When you have the bars off already anyways, loosen the top triple clamp fork pinch bolts, take off the headstay nut, then unscrew the jamnut below it and slide the whole triple clamp right off. Then you can mess with those springy things, they should slide right off the key cylinder mounts. I am assuming you want to remove them or something. If you don't want to remove them you could trace the wire down the bike and find where there is a junction, unplug it, slide it through the springy thing and you're good to go. Is this what you are referring to?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TheTwins said:
OK I just checked the bike and I see what you are talking about. No big deal either. When you have the bars off already anyways, loosen the top triple clamp fork pinch bolts, take off the headstay nut, then unscrew the jamnut below it and slide the whole triple clamp right off. Then you can mess with those springy things, they should slide right off the key cylinder mounts. I am assuming you want to remove them or something. If you don't want to remove them you could trace the wire down the bike and find where there is a junction, unplug it, slide it through the springy thing and you're good to go. Is this what you are referring to?
Yes, that's the part I am talking about.

Without looking at it again, I think the wires go under the frame and towards the back of the bike, so there may not be a junction to unplug that's convenient, but I'll certainly keep that idea in mind when I run up against a similar situation in the future.

There wasn't enough slack in the wires to unwrap them from the springy thing, so I finally cut off another of the many factory wire ties which gave me enough slack to unwrap them ( after a friend pointed out to me that there was yet another wire tie).

I appreciate your help. I'm going to copy your detailed description of removing the triple clamp, etc. in case I need it some day, and I'm sure I probably will.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Sweet. Glad I could help you out at least a little. Good luck with the rest of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts