StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang! I'm a new ecstatic owner of an '09 orange "cheese"-strom and also new to this forum. In saying that, I apologize if this topic has been covered but I'm just curious about the lifetime of a 'strom and it's overall reliability. I know a lot of that depends on the owner and how well she's maintained among other factors. But all things considered, what's the most anyone has gotten as far as miles is concerned?

Thanks!

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Thus far, my impression is we don't really know. Short of an accident, few Stroms have given up the ghost due to (ab)use, and some have topped 100k. Reports of the natural demise of Stroms (wee or vee) would be a good thread in its own right.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Welcome aboard. It's great to see another Stromer in the area and an orange no less. Can't really add much to the topic but I plan on many years and miles as I use mine to commute downtown for work and for play. I'd love to ride a 100k on it. Hope to see you around.
Ride safe.
Kevin

·
Registered
757 Posts
I don't think you need worry. One of the reasons I went with the Wee was its excellent reputation for reliability and longevity. Every review I read, and every person I spoke to who is knowledgeable about M/C's re-iterated what the last one said: A bit ugly, but a damned solid bike. One of my coworkers has a 2004 Wee. To date he has a little over 100,000 kilometers (roughly 62,000 miles) with no issues. A couple of chain swaps, new tires now and then and the regular maintenance schedule is all that has been done to it. And he rides hard. As he said, he plans to ride it into the ground, except that he has no idea when that is going to be yet.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback, fellas! Yea one of the main reasons I chose the 'Strom was for its reputation as being very reliable (as far as my own research over the last several months showed) but I wanted to get some actual rider info to back that up.

Oxblood: it's great to hear of someone having no issues past 62,000mi :cool:

Lordsmoke: I agree with ya on the interest of seeing a thread on "natural deaths" of the Strom.

Indyrider: Good to see a fellow rider in the area as well! I guess we'll know when/if we see each other :eek:

·
Registered
132 Posts
87,000 miles on my '04 Strom when I bought it Tuesday. Runs fantastic. Extensive service history, regular maintenance and the only problem the owner had receipts for was a countershaft sprocket seal. I'm hoping to break 100,000 next year on a trip to Alaska!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
87,000 miles on my '04 Strom when I bought it Tuesday. Runs fantastic. Extensive service history, regular maintenance and the only problem the owner had receipts for was a countershaft sprocket seal. I'm hoping to break 100,000 next year on a trip to Alaska!
That's awesome, gir! Wish I was tagging along:cool:. Keep me posted when you do break that 100,00 mile mark. You'd be the first I'd heard of personally to have a Strom with over that;).

·
Registered
91 Posts
"Cheese-strom?" Wow, that's even worse than "Bumble-Wee." :smilielol5:

One of my riding buddies bought his Wee-Strom in August of '07 and put over 20,000 miles on it by the time he put it away for the winter last fall. No problems with it whatsoever.

And I put over 12,000 miles on my Wee between April and December last year, also with no problems.

These are reliable bikes.

--mark

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"Cheese-strom?" Wow, that's even worse than "Bumble-Wee." :smilielol5:

One of my riding buddies bought his Wee-Strom in August of '07 and put over 20,000 miles on it by the time he put it away for the winter last fall. No problems with it whatsoever.

And I put over 12,000 miles on my Wee between April and December last year, also with no problems.

These are reliable bikes.

--mark
:iagree:

Haha.....thanks for the info though;)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Not only are they reliable, but their operation cost per mile is tough to beat as well. My opinion is that the only really "sucker punch" is that the newer ones require the dealer to sync the throttle bodies.

I have never adjusted valves, or changed tires, but I'm considering doing it myself with the strom, which will make it even more economical.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts