StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to mount a pair of 10 watt LED aux. lights which I want on all the time the bike is running - no on/off switch needed. I could buy a $30 harness with relay but I'd rather just put together my own since I already have the wire and don't need a switch. I've done an ebay search and come up with 5000 hits but from what I can see, they're mostly flasher relays. Does anyone have a link to a relay for this application similar to what comes in an aux. light harness? I think it would need one wire (or post) to connect to a switched wire on the bike, one positive to the battery, one negative to the battery, and one output to the lights. I might even be able to pick one up at a local auto parts store if I knew what to ask for. Thanks for any info!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
You want an SPST automotive relay, commonly used as a horn relay. It will have terminals marked 85, 86, 87 and 30. An SPDT relay will work fine too. It will have an 87A terminal you just leave unused. See Understanding Relays (PDF Link)

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
Curious

Is there a circuit already present that would handle an additional two amps (tail light?)? Not a lot of current. A simple wire tap would certainly be more reliable than extra wiring and a relay.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The heated grip connector on most models and the auxiliary/power connector on later models can handle two amps.

·
Registered
15,542 Posts
I got mine at the corner Autozone Store.
Use some big fat 12Ga wire to feed from the battery and back to the neg on the battery for best current flow.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I bought a set of LED lights from Amazon and got what I thought was a "single set" of relay and connector for $8, but what I got was a box of six relays and connectors and they even have a fuse. If you haven't bought it yet let me know and I will send you one just for the cost of shipping.

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
While you are at it, add a fuse block too, then you are ready to add more things in future. All bikes should have this IMO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts