StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having 3 different keys, one for each piece of luggage, was a pain, heavy, bulky and awkward to use.

It is possible to buy a matching set of 3 new tumblers, with 6 identical keys, and switch them out. That option was $30 plus shipping, and what happens to my old tumblers/keys. Seems a waste. Plus i will never need 6 keys.

I read on one of the forums that it was possible to rekey the tumblers yourself, so thats what i did.

I pulled out one tumbler and figured out how it worked with its existing key first. Then pulled the pins out and rearranged them until i had it working with the key from the other box. For the first one i worked on i had all the pins i needed except one, so had to pull the tumbler out of the second box and steal a pin from it, but that got 2 of my boxes working with the same key.

The third one though, now no longer fit the new key, but also wouldn’t fit any key i owned. I took that one to a locksmith.

He had to use some Toyota pins, and cut the ends off a few of them to make it work, but it works perfectly. Cost me $10. Saved 20+bucks. :)

Be careful not to turn the tumler over when you have the pins out. The little springs will fall out and they are hard to find after. DAMHIK.

One key to rule them all, one key to bind them…

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks BugMagnet,
Ill have to try that myself. I only need to match my topcase lock to both my side boxes.
All else fails, ill just use locksmith also.
David

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Now, knowing this. Is there any other brand of top box that accepts the Givi tumblers (cheap good box would be nice). I am looking to buy another top box so I have a box on each of my bikes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i did mine last week.

i pulled 2 pins out of one and 3 from the other and simply put them back together. they work just as well with 4 or 5 pins as they do with all 7... i tried to rearange the ones i removed but no go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts