StromTrooper banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all. I joined the forum a couple of years ago because I thought I would soon be purchasing a V-Strom but ended up going with a 1st gen FZ1.

Fast forward to now.

I have a friend who is letting his 2004 DL1000 go, and it only has 3300 miles on it. It's been in storage for the past year and a half in a heated basement, Stabil in the tank. I'm going to check it out this morning, but if it's in the kind of shape I think it's in I'll be bringing it home. Bone stock, but that will change after I sell my '88 NX650.

Anyway, :cheers2:.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
If you are handy I would just empty the gas into another can and get shiny new gas. You can bleed the ancient gas into the car when it can mix like 1 gal. in 10

I bought a left over and and had to do it and change the plugs to get her going

She's been fine since

Unless constantly on a battery tender battery is toast and even if she starts the weak battery will haunt you.

If tires are stock and you are on the faster side of riders just buy the new tires.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I brought it home yesterday. I'm going to run some Seafoam through it even though it was stored with Stabil in the gas.

I cleaned the chain and rear sprocket and today I'll be taking the front sprocket cover off and cleaning behind that. I also had an old Givi top box plate lying around that bolted right up to the rear rack.

Front tire looks iffy so I'm going to order a new one, but the rear tire is almost new.

Battery was replaced about a month ago and the bike starts and runs fine.

It was laid down at low speed about a month after it was purchased and there is a scrape on the right side of the fairing by the headlight, the right mirror is scraped, and the right handguard is cracked.

When funds allow I will be ordering side racks, a centerstand, engine guards, and dealing with the spongy fork springs. I think this is going to be a long term keeper, just like my FZ1.

Attachments

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,115 Posts
If you actually use your NX650 for some moderate off-road, the Vee is not likely to replace it...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you actually use your NX650 for some moderate off-road, the Vee is not likely to replace it...
I'm going to use the V for commuting and weekend rides with my wife, as well as dirt road exploring (hundreds of miles of those in my area). NX plastics being as rare as they are I don't relish tossing it down a trail so I use my ATV's to scratch that itch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts