StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone check the R/R on their Vee2 to see if there is a model name/number on it? It's probably on the back. It's design looks like a Shendengen but I'd like to make sure and see if there is a model number too.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Bump

Giving this a bump for GW. For a couple reasons. I'm curious about this same thing. The second reason is that someone really ought to check this out for him as he has provided a lot of sound advice to a lot of people on here, so I think someone should do this and help out. You know just a bit of payback for all the guys he has helped out.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Had a look around my Vee2 engine and it is nowhere to be seen, unlike on the Wee.
It must be hidden away up under the fuel tank. I checked an online parts finder for the 2014 DL1000A but the regulator/rectifier isn't listed yet.
Will have to wait until I need to pull the tank off.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Front left side tank cover. Big honker. Right there.

Not like you can see it in this pic but it's right under the frame below the airbox.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Could someone check the R/R on their Vee2 to see if there is a model name/number on it? It's probably on the back. It's design looks like a Shendengen but I'd like to make sure and see if there is a model number too.
Hi GW,
I found it by chance located on the left side, below the headlight.
The numbers on it are SH847AA - 4.2 195F.

Cheers,
Stu

[/URL][/IMG]

·
38,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for checking. It's a Shindengen SH847. It's not even in the Shindengen list of products yet. They have two series R/Rs listed in as upcoming but they are SHxx1 and SHxx2. This is an entirely new animal mounted up front in the air stream.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It looks like the mounting arrangement results in the cooling fins being aligned vertically. Wouldn't a horizontal alignment give better airflow and heat loss?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
It looks like the mounting arrangement results in the cooling fins being aligned vertically. Wouldn't a horizontal alignment give better airflow and heat loss?
Tradeoff, vertical works when the bike isn't moving, i.e. stuck in traffic.

When it's moving, there's a lot of airflow and cooling is probably O.K. anyway.

With luck, they've finally hired some real engineers and made a switchmode series regulator, power dissipation would be really low anyway.

Pete

·
Registered
393 Posts
The fins are about 10 or 15 degrees off the vertical. There would be lots of ambient air circulating where it is located and there are slots in the "beak" that may also direct air onto it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Could someone with this model give me some additional info please?

For the output connector (the black one on the R/R itself) - are there two wires, or three?

Anyone have a schematic for this model yet?

·
Registered
10 Posts
p.s.

If 2 wires - can you verify (looking into the terminals of the R/R) if the one on the left is positive, and the one on the right is negative, with center empty?

ie same as this

If 3 - same as above, but what is the center wire connected to?

·
38,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As you seemed to have already found out, it's a two wire DC output, the typical Suzuki B/R+ and B/W- but only one of each instead of the typical two. Also there doesn't seem to be a heated grip connector but there is a connector labeled power source but it is off a 3A fuse, like the aux connecter on the Glee. But there appears to be an unused fuse and an unused relay available.

·
Registered
10 Posts
One of the guys on the Triumph site was trying out this R/R now that it is commercially available and was having some issues, so I wanted to double-check everything was as I had surmised.
At this point I believe his problem is simply a bad meter - will update accordingly however with affirmative conclusion.

·
Registered
865 Posts
With a series regulator, will a voltmeter connected to the battery show the voltage cycling, sometimes at notional battery voltage, sometimes greater when the charging system is replenishing any losses from the battery?

·
38,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No. It doesn't matter whether the excess voltage is prevented by opening the circuit using a series regulator or shunting it to ground through the stator windings. The voltmeter will show the voltage where the regulator cuts it off at the maximum setting or lower if regulation is not needed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts