StromTrooper banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is it required that ANY of the services be performed at the dealership? I have a 2014 and after a couple experiences at the dealer, I'm beginning to think I can do a much better job of maintenance.

I read somewhere that if I don't do the initial 600 mile service at the dealer, I void the warranty. Anybody know for sure about that?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
Is it required that ANY of the services be performed at the dealership?
Not in the USA due to the Magnuson-Moss warranty act. Keep receipts for materials like oil and filters and keep a log of work you do with dates and mileage when the work was done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I always thought i would ride my strom to 100k and then look for a good 05gs,but i think now i will look for another strom or maybe even a wee(If that damn anorexia would kick in).
I wouldn't worry too much about weighing a Wee down. I weigh north of 1/8th of a ton and mine handles it just fine.;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is it required that ANY of the services be performed at the dealership? I have a 2014 and after a couple experiences at the dealer, I'm beginning to think I can do a much better job of maintenance.

I read somewhere that if I don't do the initial 600 mile service at the dealer, I void the warranty. Anybody know for sure about that?
They only way Suzuki can force you to have the dealer do the first service is for Suzuki to pay for it, which they don't.

The so called mechanics at the dealerships normally break or damage two things for every one they are paid to fix.That has been my experience anyway. Every bike I have ever gotten back from any dealer after they fixed some warranty issue, had to be fixed by me when I got the bikes back. I've had dealerships in the past that will provide to me the warranty parts and I'll install them myself. And if they wont do that then I'll pull off any fairings before I give them the bike. Or if it's something small, I'll just buy the part myself and do the job on my own dime. Sometimes it's just isn't worth the time and trouble getting warranty work done.

I just bought a new 2019 V-strom 650XT Touring from a dealer in the Phoenix area, and who ever put the bike together after taking it out of the crate did a terrible job. The front wheel ABS sensor wasn't even bolted to the bike, just stuck in the hole on the fork and was missing a bracket. The hand guards where installed wrong, as was the plastic belly guard and the windshield, and one saddlebag lock fell apart. When I bought the bike I was handed a bag full of extra screws, bolts, spacers and washers which turned out to be a good thing since I didn't have to order a bunch of replacement parts. They also gave to me all the instructions the assembler used to install the items that come on the touring model, and yes the instructions are in English so the guy probably couldn't read or even understand the clear diagrams provided. Ya, sure..... I would trust these guys to adjust the valves on the bike or even do an oil change.

Whenever I buy a new bike the dealerships always asks if I want to buy a service contract. I always laugh and explained that I don't trust their guys to do anything on my bikes and I always do my own services on all my bikes.

I'm sure there are good mechanics out there, but unfortunately I have yet to find one.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts