StromTrooper banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

Registered
We all know the price of 91 octane, (which we're suppost to use). Anyone using 87 octane, I'm riding to
south Texas from north Minnesota, lots of miles, lots of money
The Owner's Manual is a little ambiguous about octane, but consider that you will be running several hours a day over consecutive warm summer days on a loaded down bike. I would encourage you to run 91 octane or better at least for the trip if not always. An 11mpg Dodge SRT Super Stock is one thing but you've got 75% fewer cylinders to feed. And they're smaller.
I don't know what your financial situation is, but it may not be as expensive as you imagine. For computation purposes let's look at a trip from Roseau Minnesota to Port Isabel, Texas, about as North-South as It gets:

Ecoregion World Map Line Atlas

I understand if if your trip budget is stretched tighter than a gnat's butt over a rainbow, $34 could mean 4 or 5 meals, but also your trip is probably shorter than this, and depending on the weight and condition of your bike, you may average better than 45mpg. Not so bad.

Registered
We all know the price of 91 octane, (which we're suppost to use). Anyone using 87 octane, I'm riding to
south Texas from north Minnesota, lots of miles, lots of money
Google what octane is first. My understanding is that octane has to do mostly with pre-detonation and not on power or performance. I run 87 octane in my 2014 650 V Strom with no problem and that is what the book calls for. I have run 89 octane before and see no difference in power, performance, or MPG. I have also seen a video that says you are wasting your money on higher octane than is required. If you do need to run higher octane and can't find any, get a bottle of octane booster at the parts store, cary it with yo, and learn how to mix it per gallon of gas.

Registered
Google this: "Does higher octane make more horsepower". Higher octane does not increase hordepower.
Spec was not saying the increased octane made 30 more horsepower. He was highlighting the difference between two different bikes - DL650 (I think) which uses regular and the DL1000 which is supposed to use premium - in response to someone else's comment along the same lines.

Registered
Spec was not saying the increased octane made 30 more horsepower. He was highlighting the difference between two different bikes - DL650 (I think) which uses regular and the DL1000 which is supposed to use premium - in response to someone else's comment along the same lines.
Right.

Someone buys the 1000 and complains that it requires premium.

You've paid roughly 1/3 more (vs. the 650) and get many upgrades. A few dollars more per tankful doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Administrator
Right.

Someone buys the 1000 and complains that it requires premium.

You've paid roughly 1/3 more (vs. the 650) and get many upgrades. A few dollars more per tankful doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
I don't sweat over the price of fuel but it is interesting to see the potential savings if I used 89 all the time instead of Super.

So far I have used 5,261.09 liters of gas and spent $8241.60 Can $ on gas on my 2020 DL1050. That's about half what the bike cost me. If I used 89 instead of 91 octane with a difference of about $.20 per liter then I would have saved around $1,000 Can$ (Not all my gas has been 91 or higher. There has been some times I have used 89 and a couple of times that only 87 was available so this is a rough estimate.)

..Tom

Registered
I'm doing a 4 week trip up to BC in Sept, in areas remote enough to expect there won't always be 91 fuel available. I'll probably grab some bottled octane boost, but I was tempted to give these a try instead - Dyno-tab Octane Booster https://a.co/d/aveN1wp
Anyone ever tried them? I'm reluctant to put something like this in the tank if they won't list the ingredients, but they'd be so much easier to pack than std bottles of octane booster.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts