StromTrooper banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Administrator
14,899 Posts
Apparently the US likes to have its own rating system and your 87 is European 90 - I think.

Fuel in the US is really bad compared to Europe and the rest of the world” – is a very untrue statement. Fuel in the United States is as good as anywhere else in the world.
The gas is the same. The additives are not.

The additive package required by law in North America is not as advanced as what is available in Europe. It's based on standards from a decade or two ago (not sure of the time frame.) If you want the better package of additives designed for the latest emission controls you need to purchase "Top Tier" gas.

..Tom

·
Administrator
14,899 Posts
My experience has octane ratings identical in the US and Canada. regular is 87, premium is 91. In some areas 93 and 85 are available. I always use 87 in the dl650, Canada or US. In Canada the dl1050 requires 91 octane. In Ontario today, 91 Octane is 30 cents per litre more than 87 Octane. Thats $6.00 CAD per tank more! If I had a 1050, I would go with the manufacturers recommendation. My Acura TSX requires 91 Octane and thats all it has seen with the exception of a couple remote areas.
Yes same octane rating in Canada and USA.

You generally find 85 octane in higher altitude areas like Denver where lower air pressure reduces cylinder filling and lessens the chance of knocking.

..Tom

·
Administrator
14,899 Posts
It wasn't a Vstrom, but we've had 1 bike that required 91 octane fuel, and we didn't know it. By the third tank of 87 octane the bike was running very rough, and was seriously down on power. Started reading and found out about the 91 octane requirement, drained the tank and refueled with the right stuff. The bike was running well again almost immediately. I know precious little about fuels and engines, but my experience says stick with the recommendations.
Most likely the engine had a build up of Carbon which increased the chance of detonation (pinging).

Some higher octane gas has a stronger additive package which can help clean up the carbon build up. I have had clients with rougher running older Porsches switch from non name brand gas to Shell 91 and in a few tanks driveability was dramatically improved. (Shell is a top tier gas in Canada.)

..Tom

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
...I really doubt you lose 30hp getting it retarded. You're already missing that much hp, in the first 2 gears anyways, digitally. Maybe loose 1-5hp?..
You misunderstand my post..

If you bought the 1000 you paid roughly 1/3 more vs. a 650. For that money you get about 30 more horsepower, better suspension, brakes etc.

Kind of silly to complain about a bit more money spent for premium gas.

• Love
Reactions: TinMan88

·
Administrator
14,899 Posts
Guess I'm running 87 from here on.

Was running 89 in states, no issues.

Thanks for heads up, ya saved me some serious cash at these rates.✌
Only if you have a pre-2014 DL1000 or a DL650. (Do current DL650's require 91 octane?) You are taking information from someone that seems to have a DL650 and likely isn't aware this discussion in in the DL1050 forum.

..Tom

·
Registered
458 Posts
You misunderstand my post..

If you bought the 1000 you paid roughly 1/3 more vs. a 650. For that money you get about 30 more horsepower, better suspension, brakes etc.

Kind of silly to complain about a bit more money spent for premium gas.
Adds up bud, especially when costs of everything is going through roof.

·
Administrator
14,899 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Probably should have bought a 650 if gas cost is that much of a concern.
Already got one. But you're still missing the point that the 1050 should have been regular to begin with. I think the 91 octane recommendation probably still has some leeway. Engineers normally build in some compensation. With what the bike is made for, should have compensation for sure.

But look at Honda African twin, same style engine, lighter, more power and runs reg.

If you're asking whether I have regrets buying? Ya, quite a few. Had I done the research, instead of relying on "upgraded nostalgia" expecting the 1050 to be a much improved version of my 650. I would not have bought the 1050.

I honestly thought it took reg. Didn't even occur to me to check.

And fuel is pricey these days. What was once 20ish to fuel is 40ish. If I can get away with no damage and motor runs good. My deal.

·
Registered
VStrom DL 1000XA 2019
177 Posts
Use to run Reg until the bike started to be difficult to start (would not start as easily as usual) when it slept outside on trips. I know only run Shell Highest Octane - no more issues

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Already got one. But you're still missing the point that the 1050 should have been regular to begin with. Was stupid to require higher octane and ya, I don't think anyone thinks it was a good idea.
It's a high compression motor. Euro 5 emissions requires a cleaner burn. Bigger cylinders, more aggressive ignition curves, etc

I'm guessing that all the big ADV bikes require premium gas.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
My 2017 DL650AL7, port injection, requires any old 87 as does our 2020 Grand Cherokee with the 3.6L Pentastar V6 MPFI but SWMBO's Kia Optima with the GDI 2.4 requires Top Tier 87.
Top Tier gas is usually more expensive due to the additive package(s).

·
Registered
864 Posts
Its amazing how many bikes and cars require or recommend premium 91 octane these days. At least mazda with their 2L turbo makes it clear the engine can run on 87 octane, only at the expense of hp and the engine is designed for 87-91 octane. With bikes we are not sure if using lower octane just drops hp or can cause some damage in the long term.

·
Administrator
14,899 Posts
Its amazing how many bikes and cars require or recommend premium 91 octane these days. At least mazda with their 2L turbo makes it clear the engine can run on 87 octane, only at the expense of hp and the engine is designed for 87-91 octane. With bikes we are not sure if using lower octane just drops hp or can cause some damage in the long term.
My 2019 golf has a 1.4 liter turbo motor. It is designed to run fine on regular. IIRC the manual also says it will give more power with higher grades and this is likely be cause of the knock sensor allowing timing advance and maybe the turbo wastegate increasing boost etc.

..Tom

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
GDI turbo engines can easily be tuned to run on 87. Squeezing h.p. out of small turbo engines seems to be de rigueur these days. And, in the h.p. wars, extra h.p. is easily obtained using higher compression and 91 octane.

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
As mentioned previously, most cars have a knock sensor and can adjust the fueling and timing to use lower octane fuels.

Most bikes do not have this equipment. Using low octane won’t kill a bike, if used sparingly or when not available. My Tenere is designed for premium and I run that whenever I can.

With wind noise and ear plugs, I’m not sure I could tell if my bike was pinging or not.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
My 2019 golf has a 1.4 liter turbo motor. It is designed to run fine on regular. IIRC the manual also says it will give more power with higher grades and this is likely be cause of the knock sensor allowing timing advance and maybe the turbo wastegate increasing boost etc.

..Tom
True that. The knock nanny saves the tender bits.

Already got one. But you're still missing the point that the 1050 should have been regular to begin with. I think the 91 octane recommendation probably still has some leeway. Engineers normally build in some compensation. With what the bike is made for, should have compensation for sure.

But look at Honda African twin, same style engine, lighter, more power and runs reg.

If you're asking whether I have regrets buying? Ya, quite a few. Had I done the research, instead of relying on "upgraded nostalgia" expecting the 1050 to be a much improved version of my 650. I would not have bought the 1050.

I honestly thought it took reg. Didn't even occur to me to check.

And fuel is pricey these days. What was once 20ish to fuel is 40ish. If I can get away with no damage and motor runs good. My deal.

Sales of performance numbers float on bigger HP numbers. We all like that the 1050 gained 6HP, yes? Okay. Suzuki did this by changing the cam profiles (according to their sales lit), incorporating less overlap. This in turn increases capture and drives up cylinder pressure. 2. thinning the vapor mixture (EPA) brings the combustion event closer to detonation.
Conclusion: No free lunch. You should run premium in this present configuration.

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
@bighammer
See post # 24.

An engine can be tuned to give more horsepower with high octane fuel. You do it with more compression ratio and a different ignition timing curve.

You can see this in performance cars designed to run on any octane rating.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Are you reading the manual for the DL1050 or some other model like a DL650 or first gen DL1000? This discussion is in the 2020+ DL1050 forum. It's not the same as the DL650.

My Canadian 2020 DL1050 definitely requires 90+ octane according to the manual and the sticker on the bike. It seems to run fine on 89. I don't think I have run 87 in it but on my 2015 DL1000 when no other gas was available. The 2015 DL1000 was more likely more susceptible to knocking because of the lower torque peak, and ran ok on 87 but I was careful to avoid high throttle openings at lower revs.

..Tom
omg, no, sorry. Don’t know why this hit my feed. This is a 650 manual. I didn’t even notice the header. Sorry. Still getting familiar here.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts