StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know the price of 91 octane, (which we're suppost to use). Anyone using 87 octane, I'm riding to
south Texas from north Minnesota, lots of miles, lots of money

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I'm now a former 'Strommer/rider, and correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't 87 octane the rec. fuel for these bikes? I'm pretty sure that's what I pumped. What's the owner's manual say?

I paid $5.10/gal this morning for 91 octane E10 for my Fiat in Minneapolis. 87 goes around $4.70/gal.

Steve.

·
Registered
2020 Orange and White 1050xt
68 Posts
I'm now a former 'Strommer/rider, and correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't 87 octane the rec. fuel for these bikes? I'm pretty sure that's what I pumped. What's the owner's manual say?

I paid $5.10/gal this morning for 91 octane E10 for my Fiat in Minneapolis. 87 goes around $4.70/gal.

Steve.
My 2020 1050xt says Premium fuel only on the tank...

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
It's a couple of bucks more a tankful for premium.

Not much of a penalty for 30+ more horsepower.

Reactions: STCorndog

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
9,763 Posts
You should try some mileage tests from the same fuel station using the different fuels. My experience has been that lower octane fuels return lower mileage and are therefore a false economy.
If you wish your gallons to go further then slow down as 70mph+ has a huge effect on fuel economy.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I run sometimes 89 and sometimes 87 and I don't pay attention what the mileage is. Seems no performance difference since most of the time the engine is just clicking along with little load, other than racing up a steep and curvey maintain road. But then soon comes the other side and you coast down again. The higher octane is to prevent pinging. I never heard that engine ping unless you try to aggressively accelerate at 30mph in 5th gear or something like that.

EDIT: Mine is a 2014 1000 with now over 60k

·
Registered
458 Posts
I've run 87, generally 89 and sometimes 91. Only reason you run higher octane, is to prevent pinging. I think it was a bit stupid on Mr Suzuki's part to state their adventure bike needs 91. As there are quite a few parts of the world where getting this isn't attainable. Even in Canada. There's secluded areas where you're lucky to get 89, but really 87 is all that's available. So, my hopes is, the bike has the ability to retard to handle lower octane. But I have my doubts that's been programmed in. Anyways, I've never heard it ping once, but, I've only put 4-5k since getting pump fixed, where it was dumping way too much fuel. And had been running 89 fully.

I really doubt you lose 30hp getting it retarded. You're already missing that much hp, in the first 2 gears anyways, digitally. Maybe loose 1-5hp?

There's a Russian guy on here that sets up race bikes or has his own shop. That guy probably has the best info. Starts with p... Paseo or something. Hopefully he chimes in. 👍

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
650 drinks regular. The liter bike has more expensive taste.

That's one of the main reasons I didn't buy the liter bike.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
9,763 Posts
I believe my manual says 91 octane in the USA and 87 octane in Canada... not sure why that would be.
Apparently the US likes to have its own rating system and your 87 is European 90 - I think.

Fuel in the US is really bad compared to Europe and the rest of the world” – is a very untrue statement. Fuel in the United States is as good as anywhere else in the world. What changes is how Americans describe their fuels in terms of quality – octane number. They use a different system so their numbers do not translate well into the octane numbers that the rest of the world uses.
In Europe, gas stations describe different types of gasoline based on their RON rating. It is typical to have 100, 99, 98, 97 or 95 RON with prices varying accordingly. In the States the descriptions look a lot like RON, but they are not.
In the United States gas stations describe the types of gasoline based on the Pump Octane Number (PON). That number is the average between RON and MON. This causes many problems.

If a fuel is 98 RON then it will be 93 PON -> 93 PUMP
If a fuel is 95 RON and 87 MON then it will be 91 PON -> 91 PUMP" American vs European fuels – Octane rating – eTuners

Jeez - my head hurts. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah here is the manual section....

FUEL, ENGINE OIL AND
COOLANT
RECOMMENDATION
FUEL

Use unleaded gasoline with an
octane rating of 91 or higher
(Research method). Unleaded gaso-
line can extend spark plug life and
exhaust components life.

(For Canada)
Your
motorcycle requires regular
unleaded gasoline with a minimum
pump octane rating of 87 ((R+M)/2
method). In some areas, the only
fuels that are available are oxygen-
ated fuels. Oxygenated fuels which
meet the minimum octane require-
ment and the requirements described
below may be used in your motorcy-
cle without jeopardizing the New Vehi-
cle Limited Warranty or the Emission
Control System Warranty.

·
Registered
458 Posts

FUEL, ENGINE OIL AND
COOLANT
RECOMMENDATION
FUEL

Use unleaded gasoline with an
octane rating of 91 or higher
(Research method). Unleaded gaso-
line can extend spark plug life and
exhaust components life.

(For Canada)
Your
method). In some areas, the only
fuels that are available are oxygen-
ated fuels. Oxygenated fuels which
meet the minimum octane require-
ment and the requirements described
below may be used in your motorcy-
cle without jeopardizing the New Vehi-
cle Limited Warranty or the Emission
Control System Warranty.
Guess I'm running 87 from here on.

Was running 89 in states, no issues.

Thanks for heads up, ya saved me some serious cash at these rates.✌

·
Registered
592 Posts
It wasn't a Vstrom, but we've had 1 bike that required 91 octane fuel, and we didn't know it. By the third tank of 87 octane the bike was running very rough, and was seriously down on power. Started reading and found out about the 91 octane requirement, drained the tank and refueled with the right stuff. The bike was running well again almost immediately. I know precious little about fuels and engines, but my experience says stick with the recommendations.

·
Registered
864 Posts
My experience has octane ratings identical in the US and Canada. regular is 87, premium is 91. In some areas 93 and 85 are available. I always use 87 in the dl650, Canada or US. In Canada the dl1050 requires 91 octane. In Ontario today, 91 Octane is 30 cents per litre more than 87 Octane. Thats $6.00 CAD per tank more! If I had a 1050, I would go with the manufacturers recommendation. My Acura TSX requires 91 Octane and thats all it has seen with the exception of a couple remote areas.

·
Administrator
14,899 Posts

(For Canada)
Your
method)....
Are you reading the manual for the DL1050 or some other model like a DL650 or first gen DL1000? This discussion is in the 2020+ DL1050 forum. It's not the same as the DL650.

My Canadian 2020 DL1050 definitely requires 90+ octane according to the manual and the sticker on the bike. It seems to run fine on 89. I don't think I have run 87 in it but on my 2015 DL1000 when no other gas was available. The 2015 DL1000 was more likely more susceptible to knocking because of the lower torque peak, and ran ok on 87 but I was careful to avoid high throttle openings at lower revs.

..Tom

1 - 20 of 49 Posts