StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all! This is my first V-strom and my first post on here, so go easy on me!

I purchased a 2006 V-strom about a month ago and decided before I go spending the dough on a set of aftermarket side-cases, that I would try to repair the ones I have first. The gentleman I purchased it from had let it fall over at one point. Luckily he had engine guards, etc. so the only thing that got any damage was the side case on the right side. Both plastic covers (inserts) had considerable scratches on them. Now, I know that the strom is not supposed to be all shiny and clean, but it did take away from the overall niceness of the rest of the bike and I didn't quite care for the matching red covers anyway.

So here is what I did to repair them.

Project Time: 2 Hours Total

Things I used:

1. Rustoleum Primer (2 in 1) Filler and Sandable
2. Rustoleum Undercoating
3. Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating
4. 3M Auto 180/320/600 Grit Sandpaper (wet or dry)

The first thing I did was to take the side case inserts off by removing the 4 screws and two hex head screws on each side.

Once I got the pieces off, I started with the sections that had the most damage. I started with the 180 Grit sandpaper and wet sanded in one direction and after a few minutes I would wash the piece off and feel it to see if it was smooth. Deeper scratches will require more sanding. Once I sanded everything down to what I thought was mostly smooth, it was time to take the 320/600 Grit sandpaper and wet sand all the pieces to make for a more rough surface for the primer to adhere to.

Once the pieces were sanded and thoroughly cleaned, it was time to primer them. Be sure to use masking tape to tape up and holes, etc. on the back of the cover so that you don't get paint/primer in the threads for the screws.

The primer that I used is slightly thicker than traditional spray on primer which helps to fill in any holes or indents left by the scratches. (Don't worry if there are a few dings, etc. as the truck bed paint will fill in most areas) Once dried (about 30 minutes) I wet sanded the primer with the 600 Grit sandpaper to insure that the surfaces were as smooth as they could be. The more time you take to prep everything, the better off your project will look in the end.

Once smooth, it was time to apply the truck bed coating. I started by just doing a light spray over the pieces (if you put too much on at once it could run and you would have to start all over). Once dry, I went back and put a full first coat on. I was sure to cover every inch of the pieces. I let it dry for about 30 minutes and I went back to add another coat. (I suggest at least 2 coats) I then let the pieces dry overnight.

I don't know if you can tell from the pictures but the scratches are completely gone and I couldn't even tell which side was the one that had been damaged.

I screwed the pieces back on the bags and took a step back. As you can see in the pics, the truck bed coating actually looks just like the OEM plastic that they use on the side cases. They look like they came that way from the factory.

Here is a before and after shot.

Best part is if they ever get damaged, it will be super easy to fix them.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nice work

Those came out really nice. I know most folks don't like the factory cases but I think they look better than the aluminum boxes. For folks like me that never go off-road, the thought of bolting on giant silver breadboxes ruins the look of the bike.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those came out really nice. I know most folks don't like the factory cases but I think they look better than the aluminum boxes. For folks like me that never go off-road, the thought of bolting on giant silver breadboxes ruins the look of the bike.
I have often wondered that myself. I know they can take a beating, but they add a lot of weight, and size to the bike. Two things I dont want when I'm "Off Road".

·
Registered
174 Posts
So you used primer- then under coating- then lastly the truck bed liner? Sorry if dumb question.. Cases look great- how they holding up?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
After reviewing (unless I missed it) It looks like he left out the rubberized undercoating. :confused:

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,564 Posts
The truck bed coating is the EXACT same thing I used to refinish the bags from my '03 DL 1000 that I put on the new 2012 650! The grain/color is all but an exact match for the factory plastics on the new bike. Good stuff.

Your bags look much better in the "black"....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts