StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you trust a refurbished Garmin Nuvi 500 or 550? I'm looking at a couple of options on Amazon and similar, wondering whether it's worth saving the extra $70-$80, or whether it makes more sense to buy new with a warranty.

Any thoughts? How many folks who have one have had warranty issues or fixes required?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Refurbished doesn't come with a warranty? It should. I usually stay away from refurbished.... Especially if the savings is that minimal.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Would you trust a refurbished Garmin Nuvi 500 or 550? I'm looking at a couple of options on Amazon and similar, wondering whether it's worth saving the extra $70-$80, or whether it makes more sense to buy new with a warranty.

Any thoughts? How many folks who have one have had warranty issues or fixes required?
What price and what seller, specifically?

I have seen so many people *think* they are getting a deal, when in fact, new models can be found for close to the same price.

As far as the basic question about refurb.....depends.....some refurb stuff comes from the manufacture, and carries full warranty, like Apple stuff. In this case, no prob.

Generally refurb stuff has a 90-day warranty at least.....if it works fine within that period, you're likely no worse off than if you bought a new one IMO.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's Garmin refurbished, 1 year warranty from Garmin (supposedly) and if you use Amex you get the warranty doubled anyhow... given the lower general prices, $274 reduced to $184 is a fairly substantial reduction in my book...

Not looking at anything off of ebay, just a little sketched out, and they generally charge the same prices as amazon sellers on new ones of these, it seems.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I can buy a NEW Nuvi 550 from GPS Central in Canada for $220. That said, I have had 2 refurbished Garmins over the years with no problems. But look around because $274 seems too high given that prices are usually higher in Canada and a quick look online knocked $54 off your new cost.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only place i'm finding that's close to that price is a slightly mysterious online retailer I've never heard of... GPS Central is going to be about $15 to ship, so the $180 with basically no tax seems like the best deal by a fair piece... just mainly curious how many people have had issues that required repair.

It seems the warranty from Garmin is the same as they give on a new unit, and with AMEX it would be a two year window for repair.

I've never had any of my devices break down (Blackberry, Android, and Tomtom over time), at least not the GPS component of them... curious whether this has the same user experience.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I had a good experience with a refurbished GPS in the past and wouldn't hesitate to do it again if the vendor is legit and a warranty is included.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My Nuvi 550 died last October. Something came apart in the USB connector. You could hear it rattling around inside. It was under warranty & Garmin replaced it with a refurbished unit. So far the replacement has worked fine.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I am on my 3rd Garmin Zumo 550. The new one lasted 15 months. The screen froze and I was told by Garmin that this was a fairly common problem, but I was out of Warranty and did I want to pay for a refurb.

Got Refurb. 9 months later, it started getting sluggish at finding satellites and then the screen froze again. Called Garmin, got answer that this was fairly unusual as most refurbs had that problem repaired, but I was out of Warranty and did I want to pay for another Refurb.

Got Refurb, (Like an idiot). This has lasted about 10 months but won't turn on anymore. Called Garmin. Told this is unusual but it is out of warranty do I want a refurb. Talked to Supervisor who said because of the number of problems I had that it must be the motorcycle and I needed to get the electrical system checked. Called again, got a technician who had me run a whole bunch of experiments and came back with "it is either the docking station or the garmin unit itself ... I don't know which". Got a new supervisor who said that she would only charge me $100 if the unit was bad but if it was the docking station then I would need to pay the full price.

Satisfaction is pretty limited at this point. I would suggest get new unless you get a "like new" warranty. Put on AMEX to double the regular warranty. I would not buy a Garmin "in-house" refurbished unit. They have been difficult to deal with and the supervisors are not helpful. In fact if I didn't like mapping out trips in advance with all my waypoints etc., I would just use my smartphone.

Seriously considering a tom tom at this point. YMMV

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
It's Garmin refurbished, 1 year warranty from Garmin (supposedly) and if you use Amex you get the warranty doubled anyhow... given the lower general prices, $274 reduced to $184 is a fairly substantial reduction in my book...
I know, not US, but amazingly, Canada is almost always wayyy more on electronics:

Garmin nuvi 550 Waterproof Multi-Mode Portable GPS at GPS Central

The way I see it, less than a $40 savings for refurb....I'd spend the extra $$$ myself.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I picked up a refurbished Garmin 2720 from TigerGPS.com for $109 when they were still selling for $500+ new. Four years and it's still works fine.

I'd do it again through Tiger. The GPS came with a Garmin refurb certificate, and all the software and hardware. You wouldn't know it had ever been "used". I suspect it was a returned purchase, rather than a returned unit. The only thing I had to do was call Garmin to have them undo the previous owner's registration.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I picked up a Nuvi 500 refurbished over 2 years ago for ~$160 when they were selling for ~$270. It's now on the third bike and I use it in all weather and have never had a problem (shouldn't have said that). It's been great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts