StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody out there have any experience with refurbished GPS units?

It seems like a way to get a really good bargain on a decent GPS. I was interested in a 2820, 2730 or maybe a Quest 2. Any information or advice would be very helpful.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,039 Posts
Bought a Quest R from Ebest on Ebay for $140. about 8 months ago, works perfect so far. I use the Zumo 550 for the bike though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The wife got me a Garmin Quest refurb about 3 years ago and it survived for 2.5 years on a KLR (lots of vibrations) that I put through hell. It's still going strong today.

Consumer Reports actually recommends buying refurbs when you can. They say that after they fail the first time and are refurbed, they have to pass more stringent guidelines to be re-released than a brand spanking new one has too.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
The issue is that a lot of refurb units are older models. The manufacturers are heavily promoting some new ones. If the refurb has the latest mapset, they're OK deals. If not, probably not, as they're expensive.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Anybody out there have any experience with refurbished GPS units?

It seems like a way to get a really good bargain on a decent GPS. I was interested in a 2820, 2730 or maybe a Quest 2. Any information or advice would be very helpful.
I have the regular Quest refurb unit and it is great......compact but still easy to read and mainly it is motorcycle friendly.

Drawbacks............limited memory which is 115 mb I believe. If you travel let's say cross country take a laptop with the software and load states as you run out of what you have programmed in currently.

Not touch screen but that was not a concern of mine. Gets great reception however.

My first one I bought fried on me but came with a 1 year factory warranty and Garmin's customer service was second to none. Talked to a rep in Olathe KS..............gave me a RMA number and sent back and within one week had a new unit with all new software version they loaded for me!

Little secret I have learned from Garmin......................when you send one back that has a issue, I think they always send back out a new unit so you won't be without your GPS long! That is wonderful and when you get it back register the new serial number to start the new 1 yr. warranty over!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts