StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the US riders use a different system of octane ratings for their fuels, so I posted this here.

Anyway, I wanted to find out what fuel you guys use in your Vees. I use 91 Octane, unless it contains ethanol in which case I use the next lowest Octane available (usually 95). Does this sound about right? Is it worthwhile avoiding ethanol?

Searching the forum reveals that most people are using 89 octane but, as mentioned above, this does not sound applicable to Ozzie riders.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have used 91 and 95 in the Vee but never 98 so far. It kinda feels like the bike is a bit better (smoother, nice acceleration, more peppy etc) on the 95 but I have no conclusive proof of that just my gut feeling or that 95 is better for fuel economy as I refuel my Vee (and Wee) from jerry's so I get to pass it thru an additional strainer before it gets to the bike. (also lets me get a fair biut of fuel while it's cheep)

I do avoid the 'E' fuels like the plague tho. Have no personal experience on the bikes but a little on cars that have suffered problems using 'E' fuels so think it's better to be safe than sorry.
FWIK the 'E' fuels make the engine use more fuel but are only just a bit cheeper so it might work out that it costs more per km to ride the 'E' fuels than normal fuels

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Strictly 98 Premium.

If I'm on a trip and need fuel in a small town that doesn't have 98 then I will fill with 95 octane.

I get 425km+ from a tank around town and have roughly 4l-5l left in the tank.

Just over 500km from a tank is the best I have achieved on a trip.

Performance from the Wee is excellent and it runs smoothly right through the rev range.

Over the years I have run tests on my vehicles and the work vehicles I have driven and found even though Premium costs more per litre I end up paying less per kilometre in actual dollars spent than what I use with lower octane fuels.

E10 is an absolute "no way" in anything I own, the only time I would use it is to avoid pushing the bike or car. :fineprint:

I know my comments will draw ridicule here but the results I have found are from my personal experience [although motoring organisations have done controlled tests and come up with the same result, even Top Gear ran tests with the same conclusion from memory].

For what it's worth I will use an acronym, YMMV.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Taadaaa..
STRICTLY!!!!! VEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thread!!!!!!!!!!!! As the title says.
Ok, sorry Pete.

I should have said
"Performance from my bikes is excellent and they run smoothly right through the rev range."

As this topic is fuel related more than bike type related [by my perception of the OP's query on fuel differences] I simply posted my experiences with the fuels in question in a range [and large number] of bikes/vehicles I've owned and or driven/ridden.

Apologies for intruding on a Vee thread.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
+1

Why oh why can't people be bothered searching forums before they post?
There are several reasons that I can think of, right off the top of my head:

a) The OP is new to internet forums and is not aware of the protocol involved in their useage and the expectation that the search facility be used prior to starting a new thread.
b) The OP is not sufficiently computer literate to operate the search facility.
c) The OP did use the search facility but was unable (for whatever reason) to locate a thread which was sufficiently on-topic or relevant (which is the case for this thread).
d) The OP did use the search facility but relevant threads had become bogged down in pointless discussions and grown overly long and tedious (like this one is in danger of becoming).
e) the OP is seeking slightly different information, or more timely information, from other related threads and did not want their query to be tacked onto an older, less relevant thread.
f) The OP wanted to provide pleasure to all the people out there who love nothing more than to click on threads they have no interest in so that they can complain about the lack of use of the search facility (there seem to be plenty of them out there).

I'm sure there would be a few more reasons.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why would I search for "Wee Fuel Consumption" ? I own a Vee.

Come to think of it, why would I search for "Fuel Consumption" at all? All I want to know is what Australian octanes are safe to use in a Vee.

Anyway, in case someone else ever needs to know, the consensus seems to be along the lines of:

Use any octane that is commonly available at Australian servos, and it might pay to avoid ethanol.

Thats all I needed. Geez.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I like your avatar Strange Dog,he looks like some of the public servants in Canberra that are running our country :yesnod:ps what octane fuel are you running in the vee,have you compared 91,95,98 re performance and consumption yourself ? that would be a good exercise over a period,slightly off topic I have a motor car,when towing my small boat on the freeway on 91 octane I just make Marulan,If I fill up on 95 I do Marulan easy.I have never done a point to point on the strom [wee] re different octane fuels,possibly because the manual says 91 and that is what I use,What does the user manual suggest for the vee ?.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's my dog, "Meg". She's a cross between a Dachshund and a Staffy, or as I refer to her, a "Stretch Staffy". Whenever people see her they say "strange dog !"

I filled up the tank when I bought the bike with 95 Octane, because after trying three different servos I couldn't find one that had 91 without ethanol. That experience prompted my original question. With all the fuelling issues I had read about with the Vee I had mental images of my throttle body boots (whatever they are called) getting blown off, or causing pinging or god knows what else (on my first day of ownership!). I don't know much about fuel...

I will experiment. I hate to say it but I have yet to use a full tank of fuel (been too busy working on my house). I normally use the "Fuelly" website and have started an account for my Vee. When I get any useful stats I will report back.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
That's my dog, "Meg". She's a cross between a Dachshund and a Staffy, or as I refer to her, a "Stretch Staffy". Whenever people see her they say "strange dog !"

I filled up the tank when I bought the bike with 95 Octane, because after trying three different servos I couldn't find one that had 91 without ethanol. That experience prompted my original question. With all the fuelling issues I had read about with the Vee I had mental images of my throttle body boots (whatever they are called) getting blown off, or causing pinging or god knows what else (on my first day of ownership!). I don't know much about fuel...

I will experiment. I hate to say it but I have yet to use a full tank of fuel (been too busy working on my house). I normally use the "Fuelly" website and have started an account for my Vee. When I get any useful stats I will report back.
Look I understand what you mean mate,and it is getting more confusing and frustrating especially at high volume [bloody busy] servos,in fact you have to pull up about 10-15 metres back and read what pumps are in what line,if you just slide into a empty space the pumps you have pulled up at are 98 or 10% etho and F%$# me you go to the end of the cue,then line up "I need the pump with the yellow handle not green or bloody red one "and hence I can understand your post.So my reply is simply as was your assumption,no ethanol OK.As to the other variables please do a search :biggrinjester:cheers.Nearly forgot and possibly the punch line is I have done a lot of k's with a mate who rides a Vee and he sources 95,he has a power commander under the seat--the plot thickens .you have a new bike and haven't used a tank yet.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I use regular unleaded, and sometimes premium if the price is right.
I used ethanol once, bike ran like crap.

320k out of a tank consistantly.

Only problem is sometimes it pings under extreme load on the lower stuff , but I am finding it does it less now ,so the fuel may be improving or I am slowing down.:jawdrop::jawdrop:

and thanks for asking the Q ..

Cheers
Mike

1 - 20 of 24 Posts