StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know whether the Wee takes more fuel when it's on the sidestand or on the centerstand? I had it on the centerstand, and while it might have just been the usual thing of the fifth bar on the fuel gauge disappearing almost immediately, it was an issue I've not had before.

Also, with the way that cap opens, how do you handle it if you have one those accordion sleeved vapor recovery nozzles? It was fine on the one I used yesterday that had the flange thing, but I'm puzzled about how you fill-up with the heavier springy collars on the nozzle.

·
$orry $ucka
476 Posts
I believe you should refuel while on the side stand. Fill to the bottom of neck. Sometimes I'll put in a bit more when doing long highway runs. Never had a problem with any pump's filler nozzle or collar.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I always fill while sitting on the bike. Hold the accordion vapor recovery thingy with your hand to activate the nozzle.

·
Registered
858 Posts
to be honest, i never thought about it before, but i generally fill with it on the center stand. I think it goes back to having small vented tanks on a lot of my previous scoots and not wanting a crotch full of flamable liquids on really hot days ;)

·
Registered
15,395 Posts
I usually fill with the bike on the side stand and fill to the top. The protective rubber bits on the nozzle, like a foreskin, pull it back and jam it in. A friend gave me a piece of aluminum plate with a big cut out to help keep the rubber collars held back.
At least the DL has a healthy opening. The Stelvios are a PITA to fuel up. The opening is barely big enough for a standard nozzle, and a bugger with the EPA rubber collars.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I've only had a problem at one gas station with rubber evaporation collar. Simply would not work on the wee. Pulled it back by hand, click and $.02, hold it down to seal it and click $.02, over and over. Payed my $.23 (on MC) and had to go to another station.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Since I only have a sidestand, that's how I fill up (though a centerstand is on the way).

As to dealing with the collar on the pump, I really like my McCuff (McCuff® "No Splash, No Spill, Motorcycle Fill" Everyone Wants One! No Clicking Nozzles! More Miles from Tank! Top-Off Gas Tank EZ, Unique Motorcycle Biker Gift Birthdays, Christmas! Gas up your motorcycle with ease! Avoid Gas Spillage.). Quick, easy, consistently fills to the bottom of the neck. Be sure to get the sport and touring bike model that has a flat edge on one side.

·
Registered
392 Posts
fueling

Sitting on the bike while fueling sounds like a great idea, until the auto shut off on the nozzle fails when you're not really paying attention and you get a crotch full of fuel. Trust me, you really don't want this to happen to you, specially when it's hot outside.

You only make that mistake once.

Bill H.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Anyone know whether the Wee takes more fuel when it's on the sidestand or on the centerstand? I had it on the centerstand, and while it might have just been the usual thing of the fifth bar on the fuel gauge disappearing almost immediately, it was an issue I've not had before.

Also, with the way that cap opens, how do you handle it if you have one those accordion sleeved vapor recovery nozzles? It was fine on the one I used yesterday that had the flange thing, but I'm puzzled about how you fill-up with the heavier springy collars on the nozzle.
So you filled up on the centre stand when you don't normally, you used a nozzle type that you don't normally use and the 5th bar on the gauge disappeared much quicker than normal.
That says to me that you didn't completely fill the tank. I suspect you got some sort of vapour lock that caused the pump to stop flowing well before it normally would have.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It is amazing how filling tank with gas becomes a full on discussion.

How hard is it to fill it? I just pour it in until I can see the gas about a inch before it hits the hole and stop. I don't mess with the auto shut off because I always figured it wouldn't work like it would on a car.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
In CA we have vapor recovery things which have essentially 2 triggers (the rubber accordion gasket has to be held back against it's spring as you pull the trigger) and the flow is full on or off. It requires both hands, a bit of strength and your attention. Some pumps vary and can require less effort. Even my Tundra requires me to lean my body weight on the nozzle as I squeeze the trigger if I want to maintain the fuel flow at some of the newer stations. Probably coming to a station near you soon.

·
Registered
598 Posts
In CA we have vapor recovery things which have essentially 2 triggers (the rubber accordion gasket has to be held back against it's spring as you pull the trigger) and the flow is full on or off. It requires both hands, a bit of strength and your attention. Some pumps vary and can require less effort. Even my Tundra requires me to lean my body weight on the nozzle as I squeeze the trigger if I want to maintain the fuel flow at some of the newer stations. Probably coming to a station near you soon.
Yes, the bureaucrats have given us those here in WA as well. I have no doubt that they benefit from substantial campaign contributions from the holder of the patent for the miserable PITA. Screw them. Anyway, I just bought one of these:
E-Z Fill Nozzle Key :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear
to lessen the hassle. I also found a neat way to keep it handy using the throttle cable guide mount and a detachable key ring, see photo. I will attempt my next fill-up without dismounting.

Attachments

·
Registered
22,309 Posts
ahhh, yes, the pumps that require that you peel the foreskins back, I hate em

you can get more in the tank when its on its sidestand

the tank is designed to have an air bubble when full, when your perfectly level is when the bubble is the biggest, on the sidestand. not only does the bubble shift to the side and get smaller, the filler next is tipped to one side, more fuel can be added before the air bubble gets trapped

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
We have dual flow where the vapors are sucked by the nozzle through holes as the nozzle is annular 2 pipe.

We all suffer because of the LA basin. The entire nation has BS rules that have NO practical value because the mountains block LA on shore breezes.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Have to second that McCuff. It's great on my cruiser and pretty good on my V-strom. Get the sport bike one for the v-strom.

One handed refills while checking out everyone at the gas station.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts