StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick, if mebbe weird, question - is there a limit to how much reflective surface you can have on a bike? I'm looking at putting reflective tape on at least the forks and swingarms of my Wee, but don't really know how much I should, or can, put on. Any ideas? I already ride with an Icon Milspec reflective vest, but still want to know that EVERYONE can see me. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
There's no limit but I think you can do it and still make it look stylish. Most important thing to do is accent your helmet. It sticks out way above your bike, and since it moves at night it draws attention. I've ridden behind my helmet at night and its great!

I'd also highly recommend a set of orange LED lights on the side. They make it easier to judge distance, see you on the side, draw almost no power, only cost about $15 and take maybe an hour to install. I think they should be stock :) I've never had a car pull in front of me, nor been moved on. I'm very cautious but every bit helps.

Eric

·
Registered
981 Posts
Just a quick, if mebbe weird, question - is there a limit to how much reflective surface you can have on a bike?
If you really want to load up your Strom with reflective tape, go here and get some black-to-white reflective tape. http://www.reflectivelyyours.com/ You don't notice it in the daytime and it works well at night.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Is this some kind of warp speed thing ? :mrgreen:
Heh the strom is so fast that I'm left looking after it as it disappears around a bend :) I was letting my father have a test ride as he's not sure if he wants a 650 strom, or a DRZ500 super motard. It was pretty neat to see how the bike looks from everyone else's perspective.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the ideas - I went ahead and ordered some of the 3M black-to-white tape. I owe the wife $10 for it, but I'm getting four 3x18 sheets - figure I can share with the guys at work. I'll definitely have to look into the side-LED's. Looks like a really good idea! Have a good one, guys!

Why I'm not on the bike right now...

·
Registered
765 Posts
I placed an order at Reflectivelyyours for the black. It will go with the black and silver bike.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
I agree with Zed's comments about the helmet. I've got reflective stripes on the back of mine, and I've seen the difference they make at night. Those little reflective lights bobbing around where no lights should be tend to grab someone's attention very quickly.

Sorry about the foot. Maybe you could use a piece of broom handle to shift with ;)

Personally I'd love to take the tiny one in the garage for a run around the block!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Maybe the pocket bike was the culprit to the injured foot. Looks dangerous and intimidating.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Shh, don't tell anyone. I work at a municipality that makes its own signs.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm...methinks a friendship could be beneficial! The little crotch-rocket is my friend's son's. Hadn't even seen it before I broke my foot. My bike sits in his garage - I go over and gaze at it longingly every now and then. What kinds of tape do you have access to? Hypothetically, of course!;)

·
Clever Title
515 Posts
I picked up white-to-white tape at Autozone, and they had a few other colors there as well. Truck stops and boat shops often have retroreflective tape as well. If you're on a Navy base, maybe you can stumble across some of the water survival gear, the retro tape we used for marking buoys and PFDs and such in the Coast Guard was some powerfully reflective stuff.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I like the reflective tapes. Here are a couple places I've got tape from, but also I've bought some on E-bay. I've put it on bikes, horse trailers, my motorcycles, etc. I even use left over bits and pieces in the right colors, and fit them into the graphics on mine or my kids helmets or bikes.

http://www.flighthelmet.com/
http://www.identi-tape.com/hi-intensity.htm

I've bought from both of these places with good luck.

Here are a couple of photos of side and back of my V-strom and helmet, in daylight, and with flash.

Daytime (like my new black frame covers? that's a 2004 silver frame)

Now with flash... (black to white tape on fork / engine guard. Ebay black to white wheel tape, orange on helmet)

Here is the back...

And with flash(no lights are turned on, see taillight is completely dark. With tailight and flashing Hyperlight, it's quite the sight!)

Hope this gives you some good ideas. I'm always adding things. From what I see here, I think I need some more color on the sides.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I picked up white-to-white tape at Autozone, and they had a few other colors there as well. Truck stops and boat shops often have retroreflective tape as well. If you're on a Navy base, maybe you can stumble across some of the water survival gear, the retro tape we used for marking buoys and PFDs and such in the Coast Guard was some powerfully reflective stuff.

Is what you used called SOLAS tape? I bought some of this. It's really good but there are many sources for it (Google "SOLAS reflective tape") so I don't know if the quality is all the same. Also it's got a honeycomb pattern that's not really stylish, if that's your goal. Think road signs.

·
Clever Title
515 Posts
Yep, that's SOLAS tape. We called it retro tape, though. Great stuff.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thanks for the ideas - I went ahead and ordered some of the 3M black-to-white tape. I owe the wife $10 for it, but I'm getting four 3x18 sheets - figure I can share with the guys at work. I'll definitely have to look into the side-LED's. Looks like a really good idea! Have a good one, guys!
Corpsman First Class,

Thank you for your service to our country.

Stan.

·
Registered
73 Posts
everything is black reflective sheeting/racing grid, minus the bottom of the fork, which is DOT tape.
I also have white/red along the edge of the luggage rack, and red square on my
carbon 3rd brake light (no pics yet....)
I want the rim strips though!!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts