StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With adding HB Junior 40/30L sidecases I figured it was a good opportunity to add some more visibility. I think the headlights are very good on the bike so I tend to ride more at night. This past weekend coming home through a wicked rain storm I wished I had a little more visibility in the rear. I always wear a safety vest at night, but a little more help is always good. Some 3M reflective vinyl on the cases should help. Another Strommer had done this on his 40L cases and I thought they fit the look well.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Nice !! I just got my Givis installed and I think I am going to do the same thing. I have some of that 3M DOT approved crap that will work well. Red / white striped. Did you use some alcohol and a squeegee or just wing it?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clean the surface good with isopropyl alchohol. Unfortunately on the Junior bags the surface has a bumpy texture so I had to really press without the use of a squeegee. Also I took the bags inside to apply at more room temperature and let them sit for the adhesive to cure. If you are applying to a curved area apply wide masking tape to the area first and draw the shape you want. Remove the tape. Cut out the shape and trace it on the reflective vinyl. Then cut with an x-acto or razor blade. The glass in the reflective vinyl will dull the blades quick. Added some reflective tape to my helmet also so had to cut some funky shapes to fit the curve.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Ghostdog said:
Unfortunately on the Junior bags the surface has a bumpy texture so I had to really press without the use of a squeegee.
That looks really good. I ran into the same problem when applying some SOLAS tape to my Junior top case and ended up with this.....

http://users.erols.com/frogpad/Hyper-Lites.mpg

It's not a replacement for the reflective tape which I do like, but it does help with the visibility from the rear.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Strom lights up pretty well, even from the side wihich is IMHO as important as the rear.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! I bet that is like a beacon when the headlights catch it from behind.

I've been looking also at the Hyper Lites. I wish there could be an LED replacement for the tail light.

Also there is 3M black reflective tape. Still lights up well but not as noticeable during the day. I have some and might put it on the topcase. Check with the local sign shop or here is an online vendor. There may be others.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The stuff I used is black and doesn't show until lit up.
I got sheets of it and cut it to size. I have a few small pieces on the skidplate and some on the crash bars so it is all over the bike but not obtrusive.

Like my parents always said, it's better to be seen and not heard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts