Strom Trooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took a little trip up Highway 101 to Redwood National and State Parks. It was foggy near home, but the fog started to clear near Trinidad, and was mostly gone by Big Lagoon.

The first stop was a few miles up Bald Hills Rd. in Orick at the Redwood Creek Overlook. This is a stop not many people go to; they'd rather stop at Lady Bird Johnson Grove a few miles down the hill. The overlook gives a nice few of the Redwood Creek watershed and I could see the fog hanging off the coast.

Next, I headed back to Highway 101 after dodging logging trucks and a group of people setting up a large camp between the overlook and Lady Bird Johnson Grove. I passed by a herd of elk laying in the grass near the turnoff to Gold Bluffs Beach and Fern Canyon. I got off Highway 101 and took the Newton B. Drury Scenic Parkway that goes through Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park. The parkway is mostly straight, but the road is surrounded by giant Coast Redwoods. I find it to be very relaxing to take in the sight of the trees and breath in the fresh air, as opposed to staying on the main highway.

I hopped back on Highway 101 once the parkway met back up with it, and headed toward the town of Klamath. I got off at Klamath Beach Rd. and followed the road to the Coastal Drive loop.The loop takes you to Coastal Drive, which is part of the old higway.

I passed by the remnants of the old Highway 101 bridge to Klamath. The bridge was washed away in 1964 by flood waters. All that's left is the west abutment with its concrete bears. The new Highway 101 bridge has bronze bears at both ends as an homage to the former bridge.

Coastal Drive starts out paved, but turns to gravel once you reach the coast. Turn left and you end up going into a California Department of Corrections Fire Camp, go right and you follow the Coastal Drive loop that hugs the bluffs and gives great views of the Pacific Ocean.

The gravel portion meets back up with the pavement at turnout overlooking the mouth of the Klamath River. At this spot there is also a small cemetery where the guests have a good view for all of eternity.

Highlights from the Ride

·
2015 DL650
109 Posts
Thanks for sharing your ride report. I have been wanting to take a weekend ride up through the Redwoods. I will definitely leverage your info.

Ride safe!

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
Nice pics and write up. I guess the October is good for less coastal fog. It's a shame to ride the area with the morning fog. Ya can't see chit!
So much to see and enjoy too.
Wife and I did the coast years ago and went inland at the Russian river to get away from the fog. I bet we missed a gob of beautiful stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts