StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that when I ride for more than an hour I start to get numbness and tingling in my hands. I've tried loosening my grip and shaking my hands every few minutes. That helps for a little while but it didn't stop the pain and numbness. I was wondering if any of you guys have experienced this and what if anything have you done to improve the situation.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Sit on the bike, reach out your arms, have your hands just sit there nice and relaxed.

If that's a way off where the bars are, particularly if the wrist angle is different and has you near "full lock" get new bars or use risers (or both) to get the load off your wrists and get the wrist angle right.

Also check that your jacket isn't too tight - if it is it can mess with your circulation and cause wrist problems.

Pete

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I catch myself gtting a little numb, comes from the death grip, Left hand I can just spread my fingers and relax, right hand I have a cramp buster on the throttle. Cost about $12, I just rest my palm on the plastic piece and the throttle stays open as if I'm holding it.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
You may want to check your glove fit too.

I have three pairs that I wear over the course of the year (I ride all year round), one pair in particular seems to cause numbness, they are cut to a different pattern and don't fit quite as comfortably as my others do. (Im to cheap to replace them until they are worn out)

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
BB's or lead shot in handlebars
Also bar snake said to work well

Johar foam grips

Some kind of throttle lock

relax the death grip

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sit on the bike, reach out your arms, have your hands just sit there nice and relaxed.

If that's a way off where the bars are, particularly if the wrist angle is different and has you near "full lock" get new bars or use risers (or both) to get the load off your wrists and get the wrist angle right.

Also check that your jacket isn't too tight - if it is it can mess with your circulation and cause wrist problems.

Pete
I'm working on getting a pair of bar risers. There is a former vstrom owner here in town with a set of rox risers for sale. Any recommendations on bars? Something higher and more swept back?

Checked the jacket...wait I don't wear a jacket..sweatshirt/tshirt not binding.

Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
+1
If your finger tips are touching the end of the glove finger when your hands are in the grip position the glove fingers are too short for you and they will cause numbness.
Checked the gloves..they have plenty of room.

·
Registered
629 Posts
My Wee fits me pretty well, but my brother was having the same isssue as you and he's a tad bit shorter than I am. He put the risers on his Wee and problem solved.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BB's or lead shot in handlebars
Also bar snake said to work well

Johar foam grips

Some kind of throttle lock

relax the death grip
Where would you get the lead shot?

Are the johar foam grips similar to grip puppies?

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Thanks to the EPA yes lead shot is not easy or cheap anymore.

If you knoe someone who reloads shotgun shells I am sure your can hit them up. The BB's came from Walmart for $6 there is 3 times too much.

Johar grips are grips NOT add ons try Dennis Kirk or Grabon grips. They will replace existing grips

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I reached out and put my hands where they wanted to be and figured out the stock handle bar pull back angle wasn't going to do it for me.

I ended up buying a Rental bar and cut an inch off of each end to pull my hands closer to where they want to be.

The issue I had then is that with my Parabellum windshield my hand guards would hit it when I was in tight turn as in a parking lot maneuver. So I used a bar riser to get a little bit more clearance but still had the issue.

After much debate with my inner child I decided to keep the Renthal (no vibration and my hand numbness pretty much went away) and go back to my CalSci windshield for the winter months.

I've been using this setup for about a year and am very happy.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a similar problem. But I have experienced it for years and on all the bikes I've ridden. Even rental bikes, from Harley's to BMW's. I have concluded that it must be a nerve issue in my hand. As long as I keep changing my hand's position, I can overcome it in time on each ride. Not sure why. My Aoki throttle lock helps.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Remember to use proper ergonomics. Many people, myself included, reach straight to the handlebars and when you operate the throttle, your wrist bends. A racing instructor, at a BMW rally gave a talk on ergonomics and pointed out that the proper position is to have the elbows bent and your hand coming into the bars from the side. This way, when you twist the throttle, you are not bending your wrist, but twisting it. I think the bent wrist is cutting off some blood flow as well as potentially pinching nerves.

If you do a web search for the "Master Yoda's riding position", you will find what I'm referring to with a better description. One link is at Master Yoda's Riding Position - BMWSportTouring Forums.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The other thing that can effect numbness in your hands is the position you are holding your head and neck. Try rolling you head about some to see if that gives you any relief.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Remember to use proper ergonomics. Many people, myself included, reach straight to the handlebars and when you operate the throttle, your wrist bends. A racing instructor, at a BMW rally gave a talk on ergonomics and pointed out that the proper position is to have the elbows bent and your hand coming into the bars from the side. This way, when you twist the throttle, you are not bending your wrist, but twisting it. I think the bent wrist is cutting off some blood flow as well as potentially pinching nerves.

If you do a web search for the "Master Yoda's riding position", you will find what I'm referring to with a better description. One link is at Master Yoda's Riding Position - BMWSportTouring Forums.
+1 on ergos. For me the cure was proper ergos. I suspect this is the case with many riders who experience numbness. It's about keeping a natural wrist position. When you start to feel the tingling, glance at your wrists. I'll bet they are bent inward in an awkward angle. For me it was because I came from riding dirt bikes and was used to a different bar sweep and riding style. My elbows were bent up and out away from my body. Many dirt riders naturally ride this way. That style doesn't translate well over to the V-Strom and other street bikes. The solution for me was to bring my elbows inward closer to my body which put my forearms in better alignment with my wrists. I started focusing on changing my ergos to keep that alignment proper. Soon it became habit and now I never have numbness. YMMV

From your list of bikes, it looks like you've had a few dirt bikes or dirt oriented dual sports with dirt bike style bars. Sure, you can change out bars and do other things to modify the angles and make the V-strom feel more like those. But you may have simply carried over dirt bike body position that can easily be modified to adapt to the stock V-Strom setup. Try fitting yourself to the bike first (cheaper), then if that doesn't help look at ways to change the setup of the bike to fit you better.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
...For me it was because I came from riding dirt bikes and was used to a different bar sweep and riding style. My elbows were bent up and out away from my body. Many dirt riders naturally ride this way. That style doesn't translate well over to the V-Strom and other street bikes. The solution for me was to bring my elbows inward closer to my body which put my forearms in better alignment with my wrists. I started focusing on changing my ergos to keep that alignment proper. Soon it became habit and now I never have numbness. YMMV
^^^ THIS.

Absolutely the very same experience I had and bringing the elbows in was a simple and extremely effective cure. Just had to work to remind myself to keep doing it at first.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
domromer
It would be interesting and likely helpful to you to sit on several stroms with different aftermarket bars. There might be one that is just right for you, as well as some that are just wrong. Are there any strom rider get togethers in your region? How about organizing one yourself, maybe a maintenance day or a hamburger ride or anything.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts