StromTrooper banner

redline engine light?

2293 Views 14 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  greywolf
So I was passing two cars on a fairly steep uphill highway section... with my girlfriend on the back. probably hit 75 or so before shifting from fourth into 5th... then... hello. my red engine light comes on. now i wasn't exactly checking the tach... i finished the ride. stopped at home. turned it off then on... and poof. red light gone.

so i'm assuming i redlined it and got a warning light. does it do that?
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,702 Posts
Nope. The red light if the clock is visible is an oil pressure warning light. Other faults will turn on the red light and display an FI at the clock's normal position.

· Registered
12,486 Posts
I had my oil light come on last winter, freaked me out, riding 50 miles home with the light on, mine came on due to a short in the electrics from ridng in winter salty slushy conditions I assume, had dealer check it out, couldn't find anything wrong, the light never came on again nor could we replicate the problem

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
weird.

i drove home the next day and didn't see it once. its the light right above the green light that comes on when you shift to 6th. left side. second from the bottom.

my oil level is sitting 2mm below the high line. i really dont think its oil pressure. i dunno. it was a long uphill. there was no noticeable change when it was on the day before. and no noticeable change the next day.

38,702 Posts
yeah it did the redlight with the alternating F1 thing on the odometer.
See FAQ: Dealer Mode & FI Error Codes on how to read the codes. Since it is intermittent, it may be a good idea to jumper the dealer mode connector and ride it until a code other than -C00 appears. An intermittent code is flushed when the ignition switch is turned off. The FI code will pinpoint the problem device.

· Registered
6,840 Posts
Is your girl friend's name

Roxanne

Geezer reference whipper snappers

Some times in engines oil might get trapped in the head usually margininal partially blocked head drain.

I might just use some motor flush and do oil/filter change. Additionally your oil might be a point lower in viscosity then you should for high heat work

38,702 Posts
It's not an oil light here but an FI light.

38,702 Posts
Sometimes when I accelerate very quickly and shift in the higher rev range I see the blue high beam light come on for a split second - no idea why that would happen.
I don't know what that has to do with this thread. Either the clutch lever or your hand is hitting the flash to pass switch. If it's the lever, loosen and rotate the mount slightly to clear.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
don't put on the reeedddd light! roooooxxxaannnnneee!

sadly there is no dealer nearby, nor has the problem replicated itself. if i read that correctly, the flashing FI data is gone when the bike is turned off.

· Registered
535 Posts
I don't know what that has to do with this thread. Either the clutch lever or your hand is hitting the flash to pass switch. If it's the lever, loosen and rotate the mount slightly to clear.
My mistake, I thought from the title of the thread the original post was about the red warning light coming on when possibly hitting redline. I just wanted to relate a similar experience with my bike. Instead of the red center warning light comining on my blue high bleam light comes on for a split second when power shifting close to redline. Definately no contact being made with flash to pass switch, there is plenty of clearance with clutch leaver.

38,702 Posts
Then it's probably your hand. The only time the blue light has come on is if the Hi/Lo switch or the flash to pass switch is touched. It's commonly reported and it's been a hand or the clutch lever every single time. Do it at night and you'll see your high beam flash.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.