StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am sticking this in the general section because I am a thinking that perhaps this could save at least one person. ...even though this is common knowledge and everyone knows this.

I was driving to work today and I approached a red light. These lights control a 80KM/H highway and a suburb road that runs across it. The light remains green for the people on the highway and only turns red when people like me want to cross. No one ever goes the speed limit so it's pretty much a 100 all through there.

I was sitting there waiting for my green when finally, I get the go ahead. I was pretty late at realizing the green however, I give a super quick look both ways and proceeded through the intersection via the green. As I let out the clutch, I noticed the guy across the intersection still sitting there while flashing his lights. I must say, I really didn't think anything of it and my attention remained on him.

Just then, while I was crossing the middle of the 2 lane north bound highway, a dodge neon flies right through the red. He noticed me crossing so, he/she swerved to miss me and ended up nicking the curb with his left part of his car, then swerved to the right lane to only nick that side. He straightened his car out, and proceeded down the road as if nothing but a miraculous recovery on his part, had happened.

This all took about 10 seconds and there I was, still in the intersection from grinding to a halt with a million thoughts running through my head. I then pulled over to make sure I didn't crap my pants.

I guess what I am getting at is that even though I go through this intersection twice a day, and even though I look both ways all the time when I am at an intersection, I still should be more vigilant than I was then. There is no doubt in my mind that if I took off through the green as usual, I probably would have died!

I just hope people reading this think about it and perhaps avoid anything like this. Again, this is everyday knowledge, but sometimes it doesn't hurt to re alliterate with a fresh example!

Safe travels this season everyone and watch out for people going through red lights!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Red Light Safety

Thanks for the safety reminder. That type of driving behavior is all too common here too. One habit I've gotten in, is when I'm at a light, in the front of the line, if there is a vehicle in the lane on my left blocking my view, I make sure he goes out into the intersection before I do.

On another note, I used to live not too far from you, across the border in Ferndale. I still have relatives in the area and visit there frequently. Do you still have an annual airshow in Abbotsford?

Gary

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
Good example........thanks for posting. I had a similar experience in our mini-van: guy flashing his lights at me and distracted my concentration of the road. His was in a small PU coming towards me (200 ft away, I guess) flashing his headlights. About that time I hit something in the right front end of our van. Turns out the guy had dropped an extension ladder out of his truck, had made a U-turn to come back to retrieve it, and saw me coming towards it. The end of the ladder was sticking out in the roadway maybe a few feet with the remainder of it covered by weeds. When he flashed his lights, I of course was watching him, didn't see the ladder butt-end sticking out, and clobbered it big-time. Needless to say it became a "curved" extension ladder........ruined.

I'm always watching my surroundings while on the bike trying to avoid the azzhat who runs the stopsign or redlight, but distractions, even ones with the best intentions, can still cause accidents...........

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I do two things at every red light or stop sign.

1) I am not off alert until the car behind me has stopped. I never close the gap in front of me trapping myself against a car bumper. I always leave room to ride my bike into a ditch or other nasty place to avoid the screeeeech bam feeling on my backside.

And 2) I never go into an intersection assuming some gooomba in a neon is not about to make a veestrom hood ornamant out of me. Whether the light is green and has been or has just turned green.

AND for those who scream....BUT I HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY....you will eventually learn you will never come out the winner in a bike versus car fight.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Here in Mexico, the green light flashes a few times before it turns to yellow. I like it. Gives you notice that the yellow is coming. Especially helpful when the speed limit is high approaching the intersection.
Don't know why this hasn't caught on in other parts. Seems like it works, here.
Saludos,
Pako

·
Registered
201 Posts
I really like your word choice...

vigilant

It's the word I like to use in the classroom especially, to try to put things in perspective when teaching the MSF classes. We are on bikes, we need to be more vigilant. And although some of the info seems common place, we need to think about it again, because we're more vulnerable.

thanks for posting that.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Give a little thank you to the Angel on your shoulder

Blah Blah Blah don't want to hear it

Glad you made it through

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
StromAlaska: Yep... Abbotsford has their annual air show sometime in August, I think. I haven't been here for long so I have only been to one. Been to the one in Toronto a bunch of times though. The one in Abby is better!

Harmonicamoon: At half of the intersections here, we have warning lights about .5km from the intersection to tell you that an amber is coming up but this system never prevents people from going through. Not too sure what other provinces have it but B.C. seems to be the only province to do it. I'd think that the duration of a yellow would be all that one needs to bring the car to a stop before going though a red. This time it was deliberate.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Here in Mexico, the green light flashes a few times before it turns to yellow. I like it. Gives you notice that the yellow is coming. Especially helpful when the speed limit is high approaching the intersection.
Saludos,
Pako
I believe something like that would be supremely helpful EVERYWHERE!

Even better would be that during the Red light, it would blink a few times before turning green. That way you'd know the light was about to turn green and your opponent in the next lane would be ready for the race to the next light!

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I guess what I am getting at is that because though I go through this intersection twice a day, and because I look both ways all the time when I am at an intersection, I still should be more vigilant than I was then. There is no doubt in my mind that if I took off through the green as usual, I probably would have died!
I changed some of youir "even though"s for "because"s. Thinking in terms of because rather than even though might just save someon'e life.
regular routes are the worst; nothing usually happens, and we get complacent.

I guess you looked both ways, saw the neon and assumed he'd stop (as most cars usually do). Had it been an unfamiliar area, you might have assessed his speed first.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Classic Lower mainland driver....glad you are OK...what intersection was this?

for those of you not from around here, we have alot of "New" citizens from a country where about 15,000 people a month die on their roads and for whom red lights ( and most other regulatory signs) are merely a suggestion, and honking your horn as you blow through them is considered good form....

I get about 3 of these events a week..... some closer than others..... this AM it was a car passing 3 other cars on a double yellow... straight at me in my lane....

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
[...]At half of the intersections here, we have warning lights about .5km from the intersection to tell you that an amber is coming up but this system never prevents people from going through. [...]
The research I have on this shows that people accelerate when they see that thing start flashing.
Those lights are one of the dumbest things ever as far as road safety goes...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SittingDuck: Your research does not surprise me one bit. As soon as anyone sees the last call for a green light, anybody within sight of these flashers race through the intersection to catch it at excessive speeds. In theory, they seem as if they help, but it's debatable. ... heck, I have seen people stopping at greens because they see the flashers. There is a set on 176th that have the flashers about a foot (exaggeration) from the intersection - it has people sitting at green lights for a second or two (no exaggeration).

gryphon51: The intersection was at Clayburn Rd. and HWY11. I live in Clayburn there and take Downs Rd. into Surrey every day.

·
Registered
99 Posts
warning signal for the warning signal for the warning signal...

Saludos,
Pako
Since we already have the amber light to warn us that the red light is coming, and now there is a flashing light to warn us that the amber light is coming, next we need a blue light to warn us that the flashing light is coming......:mrgreen:

G

·
The research I have on this shows that people accelerate when they see that thing start flashing.
OK...let's be fair. Not ALL people accelerate when they see the flashing lights.
I certainly don't unless there is a dire need to keep moving (gravel truck crowding my backside).

And... If the truth were known, the guy in the Neon was likely just holding it together just going straight. He probably was filling his pants and wished he had a few extra bucks to fix the steering and maybe get some brakes... maybe even send a Christmas present to his kids who are living fat and sassy with his EX and her boyfriend.

Great reminder for everybody who rides.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Since we already have the amber light to warn us that the red light is coming, and now there is a flashing light to warn us that the amber light is coming, next we need a blue light to warn us that the flashing light is coming......:mrgreen:
StromAlaska, I think you are complicating the idea. Use your brain...you are approaching a green signal light, you don't know when it is going to change to yellow, if it turns to yellow, you can lock up your brakes, or continue depending on various factors, traffic behind you, road conditions and distance to the signal light. If you knew it was going to change to yellow, you would have more time to access the situation. Think about it!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts