StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did anyone try the red light kit that they sell that suppose to detect that u r there and change to green?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
You'll get better satisfaction by calling whichever road department that has jurisdiction over the unresponsive lights and request that they be adjusted.

The sensors are in slits In the pavement that inductively detect metal. Try stopping directly over the slit if you can find it. I've even pulled way up and waved the car behind to pull up close to activate. Sone states allow the driver to drive through the red, if safe, after a certain time period. Other states prohibit this.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Link? Depends on the type. Most common is the buried metal loop, but lots of places are going to optical sensors.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Some sensors detect steel a lot better than aluminum due to the magnetic properties of both metals. I pull up over the slice in the pavement where the sensor is, and drop the center stand down on the sensor until the light changes. As soon as I move my foot the stand springs back up. You could do the same with the side stand, but you'd have to be in neutral, and remember to retract the stand before putting it in gear.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Yes neutral and kickstand on the slit

Note : Most of these are simple counting circuits so do it 3 times about a second apart. I rock down then up etc.

If there is a slit almost on to the other pavement that is a right turn on red that cancels out the others so don't do it there.

RANT: It would be comparatively easy now for a smart light that sees approaching cars and acts intelligently. My local small city goes to blinking during snow storms etc. Everyone can cross town in 1/2 the time and no problems.

·
Registered
32 Posts
RANT: It would be comparatively easy now for a smart light that sees approaching cars and acts intelligently. My local small city goes to blinking during snow storms etc. Everyone can cross town in 1/2 the time and no problems.
here in VA we have a lot of the pole mounted motion sensors so the loop issues of old are gone in my area. It does seem though that the motion sensors always stop a group going 50 mph to let one lonely car out.

R

·
0 Posts
The sensor loops can be adjusted to very small masses. Last summer I was asked to cross the loop on my bicycle. ( Because I happened to be stopped at that light at the time ) They fiddled with the settings until my aluminum bike changed the light every time.
I had to park the bike on the outer rim or the loop.
I think the local road maintenance people usually contract out the job to Acme Traffic Systems. ( or AAA Road Maint. or A-One Road or Bubba's Lights...you get the idea)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Line your helmet with the tin foil those are not really motion sensors
not motion sensors, but cameras with pattern recognition. Here in southern Maryland, almost all tunr lanes have cameras pointed right at the turn lane, they use pattern recognition to see when a vehicle is in the turn lane and signal a red to oncoming traffic. Same basic concept, but maintenance is a lot easier.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I prefer the light to not detect me. Flagrantly riding through a red light (after waiting the required period of time) satisfies the outlaw biker in me...:devil_35:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have one of the green light triggers on my bike. Works well for me.There is one light on my way to work that does not have an optical sensor. Had to run it everytime before I installed it. It is just a heavy duty magnet.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Works for me every time....
Kickstand down has never worked for me.

Just got caught behind one last weekend. Nothing better than sitting there through 2 entire sequences of lights for everyone else, yet I'm still there with a red left arrow. I finally checked for LEO's and then blew through the light. Life's too short.

I don't even know what town it was in, never mind have the patience to call them to tell them to fix their damned light.

If we ever get red-light cameras up this way, I'm screwed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have one of the green light triggers on my bike. Works well for me.There is one light on my way to work that does not have an optical sensor. Had to run it everytime before I installed it. It is just a heavy duty magnet.
so do u reccomend to buy this magnet for the red lights

·
Registered
134 Posts
I bought a huge 100lb pull magnet, put it on a string and lowered it directly on top of the cut on the road. Didn't work... tried multiple times at different lights.
I'll have to try the kickstand down method.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Just to reiterate if you see 3 grids the one almost on the cross traffic , the last one

CANCELS

the inputs from the others as its intention is to let right on red pass without tripping the lights

1 - 20 of 25 Posts