Strom Trooper banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
If you are a DIY type inexpensive nylon cutting boards are great blank canvas for a adapter plates. Nice thing is they are workable with tools most home owners have.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I checked out BMW before I bought the Strom. They still have my email and I got a nice note with their fall service "specials" in case I don't want to change my own oil or tires. Maybe I'm just way too cheap to be on/in anything BMW. :mod2_eek:

I'd say my No-Mar tire changer has more than paid for itself. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
972 Posts
Interesting that you brought this up...

I cancelled the MTM case. Not because of the quality. I own a couple. The size of the Seahorse SE-540 was more suited as a top case. Still considering the SE-520 for a pannier when the time comes.

Thanks for your input.

Kimble
You seem like a pretty open minded person. Check out this line of luggage.
https://iflyluggage.com/
Various sizes and colors. Functionally designed as luggage. Affordable.
Can be used as a top box or side cases.

You can remove the wheels (or not). And depending which way you orientate it, as a top box, the handle can become an adjustable backrest or a rack to dry those clothes you washed out in the motel sink.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
+ 1 on the Rostra cruise control. At least for my '07. Very affordable, easy installation with a bunch of write ups from other owners. No tingling hand.

K54

I've looked at this. I'm at a loss as to which model would be appropriate.

Thanks ,

Kimble

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
You seem like a pretty open minded person. Check out this line of luggage.
https://iflyluggage.com/
Various sizes and colors. Functionally designed as luggage. Affordable.
Can be used as a top box or side cases.

You can remove the wheels (or not). And depending which way you orientate it, as a top box, the handle can become an adjustable backrest or a rack to dry those clothes you washed out in the motel sink.

My concern would be water/dust proof-ness and would they really hold up to being bolted to a frame. I'd think in short order from the vibration and flexing the hardshell plastic would start cracking and soon fail.

·
Registered
972 Posts
My concern would be water/dust proof-ness and would they really hold up to being bolted to a frame. I'd think in short order from the vibration and flexing the hardshell plastic would start cracking and soon fail.
Both good points.
I have seen and touched them in a store about a year ago. I can't recall thinking about the dust proof and they may not be submersible. They seemed acceptably rain proof but that should be examined or inquired about with the manufacturer. I do think that they are suitably rugged. They are ribbed and my experience is that luggage is pretty tenacious. Naturally, any through bolt should be "backed" with a circle of that cutting board or similar.

My overall view is that if we are talking about an economical alternative to the fancy motorcycle luggage products, why not consider _ luggage. :wink2:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Decided to try the Seahorse SE-540 as a top case using a "plastic" cutting board mounting plate for my first attempt. The reasoning is that if I drill come holes in the base of the case, and it doesn't work out, the case is still usable for storage for a different application.

I've spent about $75. Not completely wasted if it fails. If it works...Great. Ill know by the end of next week. Starting on the mount today after a quick trip to Walmart and/or Bed Bath and Beyond.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again...

Kimble

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
You can also patch up mis-drilled holes with 2 part epoxy or JB weld. Put a piece of tape as a dam on one side of the hole then drizzle in a couple drops of well mixed epoxy to fill the hole. Once dry peel the tape off and the hole is plugged.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
kjn,

What are you mounting the cutting boards to?
The plan is to use the cutting board as a base plate for the case. The base will be attached to the existing rack.

I realize I might not need a base at all if the box can be satisfactorily attached to the original rack.

Kimble

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
You can also patch up mis-drilled holes with 2 part epoxy or JB weld. Put a piece of tape as a dam on one side of the hole then drizzle in a couple drops of well mixed epoxy to fill the hole. Once dry peel the tape off and the hole is plugged.
Perfect...and I have all that stuff in my shop.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Prototype top case installed. Works good.

Trying to figure out how to post the image on my Samsung Galaxy 8...tech challenged.

Kimble

41 - 56 of 56 Posts