Strom Trooper banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
OEM center stand on the way...Babbitts Suzuki Parts House. $257 shipped.
That's what I did. Fair warning. Installing the two springs on the center stand will make you whisper sweet nothings at your bike. Consider buying one of those brake spring tools that allow the mechanic to install the springs between two brake shoes.

I got so frustrated trying to hook the spring on, that I heated a 3/8" piece of steel and hammered it flat, cut a notch in it and used that to pry the spring over the pin and hook it on. When the stand is in the up position the springs are stretched the least......still a job for your average gorilla.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The fork brace and peg lowering kit from Adventure Tech are on the way.

I'm reading about the Mccruise cruise control system...

Any comments about this device?

Thanks,

Kimble

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
check out the Saddlemen seats for the vstrom. They're nice and wide and a little taller than the stocker which will help your longer legs. I've been using this seat for years and really like the support, and ability to move around (I'm using their Adventure Track, but would recommend the all-vinyl one since the suede on the adventure track will hold water if you don't waterproof spray it).

SW-MOTECH Center Stand - trouble free for 10 years now. It's incredibly well built, easy to lift the bike, and never ever drags when in the twists - way better looking than the Suzuki version.

Madstad bracket with the stock shield will get you 95% of the way there.......I like mine because in the hot, it allows you to almost make the shield near horizontal for maximum airflow, yet still adjust it later for maximum wind blocking for other times.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
check out the Saddlemen seats for the vstrom. They're nice and wide and a little taller than the stocker which will help your longer legs. I've been using this seat for years and really like the support, and ability to move around (I'm using their Adventure Track, but would recommend the all-vinyl one since the suede on the adventure track will hold water if you don't waterproof spray it).

SW-MOTECH Center Stand - trouble free for 10 years now. It's incredibly well built, easy to lift the bike, and never ever drags when in the twists - way better looking than the Suzuki version.

Madstad bracket with the stock shield will get you 95% of the way there.......I like mine because in the hot, it allows you to almost make the shield near horizontal for maximum airflow, yet still adjust it later for maximum wind blocking for other times.
Great info...

Have been looking at the Saddleman seat. Will check out the Madstand bracket.

Thanks...

Kimble

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Great info...

Have been looking at the Saddleman seat. Will check out the Madstand bracket.

Thanks...

Kimble
Fresh from Madstand today:

"Thanks for checking in about this. Our system that's designed for the 2017 - up Vstrom 650 and 1000 does not share the same hole pattern as the factory windshield and is sold as complete kit only, which includes a pair of adjustable brackets (height and angle), the touring windshield and attachment hardware."

·
Registered
136 Posts
Anybody thinking about installing a centerstand on a DL1000 should watch this video starting at around 5:00. This technique will allow you to get those springs installed in about 5 seconds once you get the rope/cord routed. It's a genius idea.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Looking for a sheepskin cover that fits the seat...

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks,

Kimble

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
The fork brace and peg lowering kit from Adventure Tech are on the way.

I'm reading about the Mccruise cruise control system...

Any comments about this device?

Thanks,

Kimble
Add the mirror extenders, or go Tuono.

As far as McCruise I have no experience with them. I have installed two Rostra's, one on my '07 and one on my '15. Recent threads on the 2017+ and Rostra have vetted out some issues getting the Rostra to run right. I am not sure if it is installation errors, or that Suzuki's Traction Control and other new electronics are causing the problem.

I can say this. I will never have another x-country bike without a electronic cruise...it is just plain fantastic on those 10 hr days.

Consider the givi Airflow windshield too....

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
...This technique will allow you to get those springs installed in about 5 seconds once you get the rope/cord routed. It's a genius idea.
This reminded me of one of the stories in one of the James Herriot veterinarian books. Use of a lightweight rope/cord to aid in birthing sheep. A loop is made in the rope and that's used to pull/shift an unborn lamb's hoof into position so the lamb can be delivered. Interesting.

:smile2:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Taking a hard look at the givi Airflow windshield. Also looking at the California Scientific. I got the peg lowering kit installed a couple of days ago. Good improvement for my long legs.

Again...

Thanks for the great advice...

Kimble

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm riding my newly acquired 2012 DL1000 across Canada from Toronto to its new home in Victoria, BC. Have some 3000 Kms of rider familiarization under my belt. Like yourself, 6' 2" 215 lbs 34 inseams.

The PO was similar in stature. Bike came with side mirror extenders, 1" bar risers, foot pegs lowered 1", aftermarket sargeant seat, and a few other goodies. These items mentioned fit me well. My bike came with a centre stand, great for checking oil level.

Shouldn't have to lower the seat for your stature.

I can say that cruise control is a must for long distance touring such as this trip I'm on. Will be investing when I get home. Self-cancelling signals are nice as well.

Good luck. Cheers

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
I have the Givi AF on one bike and the Madstad on the other. For high speed buffeting I still give the edge to the Madstad (because it is more adjustable) but they are a bit pricey. I prefer the blended acrylic Madstad as well - no scratches as the Givi poly is soft. I got my Givi for about half the US price direct from Italy on a Black Friday sale. :wink2:

Taking a hard look at the givi Airflow windshield. Also looking at the California Scientific. I got the peg lowering kit installed a couple of days ago. Good improvement for my long legs.

Again...

Thanks for the great advice...

Kimble

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Settled on the Givi Airflow. Installed today...

So far so good. Light years ahead of the OEM.

Next project:

Luggage. I'm astounded at the prices for what you get. Tried an inexpensive top case from Amazon. For $60 shipped, not too bad. Sadly, no way to make it fit the OEM rack without buying all kinds of alternate hardware or an expensive mounting plate. Turned into a real PITA. Most of the similar cases I fear will turn out the same.

Took a good long look at the Pelican products. I really like these. In my opinion, way too expensive. That got me thinking...

I use several MTM Case Guard products. Looked at their offerings and found a couple a promising candidates. I figure I can fabricate a mounting plate/adapter and drill some holes for hardware and make it work.

The case from Amazon ( MTM ACR12-72 or MTM ACR7-18) Ammo Crate) for $23/$17 shipped or the Seahorse SE-520 (About $48). Planning to try the AC12-72 first.

I figure the hardware will cost $15. Not worried about the color. I can deal with that later if I want.

The bottom line is I'm fairly certain I can come up with a case in a couple of days that's close to the Pelican product for about $40-$60.

Stuff on the way....I'll let you know how it goes.

All the best...

Kimble

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
The MTM stuff looks only a little more heavily constructed than Rubbermaid storage bins. At a minimum go with the Seahorse cases or go to your local Harbor Freight and check out the Apache cases.

In todays market if you can get a set of decent panniers and racks for around $500 that's inexpensive. If you want an eye opener check out Jesse or Touratech pannier systems racks and top cases.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
The MTM stuff looks only a little more heavily constructed than Rubbermaid storage bins. At a minimum go with the Seahorse cases or go to your local Harbor Freight and check out the Apache cases.

In todays market if you can get a set of decent panniers and racks for around $500 that's inexpensive. If you want an eye opener check out Jesse or Touratech pannier systems racks and top cases.
Interesting that you brought this up...

I cancelled the MTM case. Not because of the quality. I own a couple. The size of the Seahorse SE-540 was more suited as a top case. Still considering the SE-520 for a pannier when the time comes.

Thanks for your input.

Kimble

·
Registered
35 Posts
+ 1 on the Rostra cruise control. At least for my '07. Very affordable, easy installation with a bunch of write ups from other owners. No tingling hand.

K54

21 - 40 of 56 Posts