StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ciao,

My wife and I are planning a 3 week tour of Italy from mid-September to early October this year. we will start in Milan and for the first part of the trip, will rent a Moto Guzzi Norge GT 8V in Mandello de Lario for a 3 day ride through the Alps. We are hoping for good weather and plan to cross Passo de Stelvio and San Leonardo In Passiria. We are also hoping to head over to Cortina d'Ampezzo. I am looking for any suggestions of good roads for 2 up sport tour riding - if the weather is good in the high alps and/or if the weather is not so good, some of the lower elevation roads. We are looking to cover 200-300KM per day. Any suggestions of where to go as well as where to stay away from would be gladly accepted.

Grazie,
Don

·
Registered
22 Posts
We're going to Torino in late September and wanted to rent a bike and tour the Alps a bit. Do you know what's required to be able to rent a vehicle and drive over seas?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drivers license, credit card and experience riding is all that was asked of me. Plus a $2K deposit that is refundable if the bike is returned undamaged. Bike comes with liability coverage. I will work with my insurance to see if they have coverage for damage. I had to give a 20% deposit to hold the bike. Will pay the balance when I pick it up.

We will be riding September 18-20, leaving from Mandello on the East side of Lake Como. We plan to ride East from there across this pass - File:The Stelvio pass.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I sure hope we have good weather.

Where are you planning to ride?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Staying in Torino. Haven't drawn out a plan yet or did much research but I'm hoping it's feasible to to ride east through the alps and into some of the other countries. I thought there was more required to drive in Europe than your US license. ?

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
John Hermann's book, "Motorcycle Journeys Through the Alps" will have virtually all the info you will need as far as routing, places to stay, etc..
It is available on Amazon
Motorcycle Journeys Through the Alps & Beyond: John Hermann: 9781884313707: Amazon.com: Books

It is a little pricey, but sometimes it goes on sale. I picked one up for $30.00 abiut 6 mnths ago. You might try the used thing as well.

Riding theAlps is the experience of a lifetime. Have a great trip!!

Rod

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Drrod. I will check the book out.

As far as renting a car or bike in Italy, everything I have seen says it is real easy. I will look more just to be sure though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi motornutt!
I'm Italian, so i think I could give you some advice:
first, I think you should know that the weather in the eastern Italian Alps usually has no compromises: it could be amazingly excellent or incredibly crap for days! However, the period you choose for your trip could be ok, we usually got the best weather from june to august but in recent years things are changing a little bit (maybe because of the global warming effects) and so even in september / october I think the weather will be fine.
About your trip itself, you should give a look here: Motorbike holiday in Trentino Alto Adige. Motorcyling tours from the Dolomites to lake Garda
it's an Italian official site where you can find quite all the news you need, from hotels to routes suggestions, to have a great riding experience in our beautiful north-east region! :thumbup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ciao Venega,

Thank you for the advise and recommendation. I live and ride in the Colorado Rocky Mountains, so know how the weather can be unpredictable. We can typically ride in the high mountains into October, but it varies each year and is all about the timing. We are hoping we get lucky and get good weather during our trip to Italy, but if the weather is bad, we will find some roads at lower elevation and enjoy the ride..

I will check out the site you recommended.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Thanks for the hints. I'll also be in Europe in August for about three weeks, starting ending Holland (Yeah, I know, but our daughter is working there at the moment :) ). Any tips on bike hire, places to see, places to avoid ?. The Alps were already high on my list of places to ride.

Also, what's a reasonable distance in a day. In Oz, 1000km a day is possible, but about the rational limit at more or less legal speeds, 400k's is a morning ride, I'm guessing with more towns average speeds will be lower, but I'd appreciate comments.

Thanks
Pete

·
Registered
639 Posts
Good news.
I am riding the Stelvio this summer, but from Zurich through the Swiss National Forest and onto the Stelvio then down through the Italian side and back. Make sure you fill up at every opportunity, you'll use a lot of fuel riding up the Pass, and it will be slow as roads are slower. As for riding on the highway, I've ridden from London to Zurich in 11 hours, just over 1100kms, many times. So 1000km days are ok, but you'll miss a lot. I'll be going before you so I'll hopefully gain some tips to share. I've been up in the car, but never the same........

·
Registered
639 Posts
One other thing. Try to book all in a one off credit card, as you'll be liable for ALL traffic infractions, and you WILL be billed and charged for by the rental company, having a foreign license does not proclude you from fines. And try not to act American, they can spot you a mile off and you will be a target for pick pockets.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
One other thing. Try to book all in a one off credit card, as you'll be liable for ALL traffic infractions, and you WILL be billed and charged for by the rental company, having a foreign license does not proclude you from fines. And try not to act American, they can spot you a mile off and you will be a target for pick pockets.
:), Australian - well , NZ born, but I live in OZ, so yeah, I get where you are coming from.

Many thanks
Pete

·
Registered
639 Posts
:), Australian - well , NZ born, but I live in OZ, so yeah, I get where you are coming from.

Many thanks
Pete
Sorry, it was meant for the other chap, I just got lazy and replied to both :beatnik:

But if you plan to ride from Holland, to where and back? Go north and get some real harse landscapes or south and enjoy some German beer and a ride through the SchwarzWald....

·
Registered
639 Posts
How does one act American?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
You don't see it because you live it, but from over here, I can spot an American a mile off, yo wear sneakers with dockers, and fanny packs, you talk loud and generally being brash, so can the pick pockets and even the local merchants will spot you on vacation and hike up prices. Don't be offended, it's just the way it is, just like tourists that get off the plane in Miami and get carjacked within a mile of the airport.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Thanks for the hints. I'll also be in Europe in August for about three weeks, starting ending Holland (Yeah, I know, but our daughter is working there at the moment :) ). Any tips on bike hire, places to see, places to avoid ?. The Alps were already high on my list of places to ride.

Also, what's a reasonable distance in a day. In Oz, 1000km a day is possible, but about the rational limit at more or less legal speeds, 400k's is a morning ride, I'm guessing with more towns average speeds will be lower, but I'd appreciate comments.

Thanks
Pete
Hey :thumbup:

In the process of cleaning up links and clicked this instead :confused:...

July+August are the WORST months for holidaying EU and the Alps....a billion ++ Europeans are on school hols and "on the road". The Alps are JAMMED!!
Make it early Sept to mid-Oct. and the place is yours. The towns, accomodation, roads, lookouts...all yours.

With only 3 weeks total-overall don't waste time on commuting via Autobahns etc from NL to CH/AT/F/IT....a total waste of time, you want the diamonds, not the rubble.
Use Air Berlin discount flights from NL to Zuerich/ CH and rent from there!!.
Then fly back to AUS (at least Sing Air + Emirates) straight from Zuerich.

A "good day" in the Alps is around 250km....any more and you've flown past all the good stuff, haven't seen anything, haven't stopped anywhere, missed all the photo spots.
It's tight, it's slow and waaayyy beyond anything we know in AUS as a "twisty road" !!
Most of your days you'll spend less than an accumulated 20mins beyond 3. gear....no joke!
That's, if you're riding backblocks stuff....main roads could turn into 350km/day.

For loads of decent info-without-the-crap check AlpineRoads.com • Index page for an English-based Alps-forum, loads more links and worthwhile connects from there.

Follow advice from a guy called Michael J there!!
He's an old hand at this and a barrel of knowledge.

Or check in with the AusTouring.com guys at their ADV-meet at the Lake Leake ADV-Meet in Tassie (which also just happens to be a Vee/Wee- Strom-Meet of the Southerners) early March for a face-to-face.

Meet up with most of the guys of the Alps-Rides of '01,'07,'09 and '13 incl. some of their O/S members who are visiting Southern Tasmania for the occasion.

###########################################

A few "teaser-pics" of the recent Sept/Oct 2013 AusTouring Forum ride.....

Tornanti #3, backroads of the Western Alps (Switzerland/ Italy/ France)

It'd taken another 4 years to get cranked up for the sequel, but time was good, the Aussie-$$ flying high, the September-October time slot perfect as ever after a wet European summer...and the third "Tornanti" rumbled away in its usual haphazard style.

This time is was the backblocks of the western half of the European Alps, discovering the southern parts of Switzerland, then follow the Main Alpine Ridge south to the Mediterranean Coast, bouncing back and forth across the Italian-French border on the smallest and most scenic roads and tracks to be found, dirt included.

From historical fetes at Swiss castles...

to delicious single-laners after some fresh snow high up...

Breathtaking vistas of the Main Alpine Ridge

Some weird rocks you can ride through

A bit of "getting lost" here and there

Cruising above Lake Geneva

Snoozing in some incredible digs in the vineyards oif the Lower Valais, own wine-cellar included.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts