StromTrooper banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Still might be worth your time to shop around and see what else may be out there.
Absolutely. No time at the moment unless forced into it. House shopping right now and failing miserably. Bloody infuriating.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the Halifax area. I have an '83 Honda Shadow that I'm 'rebuilding' (not too successfully!) but found my insurer, RBC (they're owned by Aviva now) refused to insure it because, while I've had a bike license since I was 16, I have never insured a motorcycle ever. Haven't really ridden since I was that age, really. Now, when I was married in my early thirties, RBC offered rates that noone else could even TOUCH. Not even TD with a company discount. I had previously been with Wawanessa and Primum through brokers, going up and down like a yo-yo. I told my broker that if he could come within $400/yr of RBC's rate, I'd have stayed with them. They couldn't even come close to THAT. Now, RBC offered me a good rate on the SV650 I just bought, but I got similar rates through a company here in Dartmouth, I think it was MacLeod Lorway? Oddly enough, they offered a fair rate for my Shadow... through Aviva! Go figure...

Good LUCK with the house thing. I found it hard to get into a place years back. Couldn't even imagine it now. I went with a mini-home for the affordability, but I wouldn't if I had to do over again. For instance, the only reason RBC/Aviva insures me on it is because I HAD insurance on it with them, so I'm grandfathered in. But that could be revoked at any time. Everything is 'in limbo' with the mini-homes, because they're not considered a house, but they're also not a trailer...

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
@Troy Jollimore
is that $400.00 for Full coverage ?, if it's only PLPD then Aviva should offer the same or similar to my Alberta rates:
'17 FJR1300ES............. $140.00 / yr
'18 Vstrom 650.............. $116.00 / yr

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
curse you Alberta, you've got the rockies AND cheap insurance...... and most of my remaining family.
Time to move and be with your family, did I mentioned we only have one tax...no HST :p

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Reactions: Damirio

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I'm in the Halifax area. I have an '83 Honda Shadow that I'm 'rebuilding' (not too successfully!) but found my insurer, RBC (they're owned by Aviva now) refused to insure it because, while I've had a bike license since I was 16, I have never insured a motorcycle ever. Haven't really ridden since I was that age, really. Now, when I was married in my early thirties, RBC offered rates that noone else could even TOUCH. Not even TD with a company discount. I had previously been with Wawanessa and Primum through brokers, going up and down like a yo-yo. I told my broker that if he could come within $400/yr of RBC's rate, I'd have stayed with them. They couldn't even come close to THAT. Now, RBC offered me a good rate on the SV650 I just bought, but I got similar rates through a company here in Dartmouth, I think it was MacLeod Lorway? Oddly enough, they offered a fair rate for my Shadow... through Aviva! Go figure...

Good LUCK with the house thing. I found it hard to get into a place years back. Couldn't even imagine it now. I went with a mini-home for the affordability, but I wouldn't if I had to do over again. For instance, the only reason RBC/Aviva insures me on it is because I HAD insurance on it with them, so I'm grandfathered in. But that could be revoked at any time. Everything is 'in limbo' with the mini-homes, because they're not considered a house, but they're also not a trailer...
When we were looking for a house in Atlantic Canada 6 years ago, we ruled out New Brunswick. They had low house prices, but the was a reason. The insurance companies raised their rates so high that home owners couldn't afford to have insurance. When the bank holding the mortgage found out the house had no insurance they foreclosed and a bunch of people lost their homes. Then these houses getting auctioned off for balance owing and down came the prices of houses in general in NB.

Houses are getting sold down here in the Valley now almost as soon as they are listed and have multiple offers sometimes a hundred thousand over asking. Same story closer to the city.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
all across Canada Real Estate market is hot, good time "to sell", not very good "to buy"...some experts believe the market will adjust itself soon, getting back to more reasonable levels, but nobody wants to speculate "when and by how much"

·
Registered
478 Posts
some experts believe the market will adjust itself soon, getting back to more reasonable levels,
you can find an "expert" to say just about anything for the right price.

can't see the market getting any better when there aren't enough homes now and our man child PM plans to welcome another 400,000 "new" Canadians this year.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Edmonton, Alberta here. I insure with The Personal along with my automobile. Carry a million public liability, property damage (PLPD) plus the mandatory medical coverage. No comprehensive, collision etc. 2011 Wee with one at fault accident in the last three years. (only one in 54 years of driving) $6.50 per month for the bike.
Mike

21 - 30 of 30 Posts