StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I just had a disturbing phone call from Allstate. She said something about Allstate can't insure my V-Strom even though they renewed the insurance on it on Saturday and confirmed it with an email and temporary liability card. I think she may have said something about it being a sport bike, but I don't know because the line went dead (bad mobile service in Nova Scotia).

If what she said is true, I will need a new insurance company for both bikes, car, truck and house. I need recommendations from your experiences, please.

Thank you,
Glenn

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe try a local broker and they will shop around and find the best for your situation and area?
Yeah, that is a thought. Why don't I ever think of that? Thanks man.

Reactions: nuke

·
Registered
571 Posts
I use Echelon for the bikes (have to get to them through a broker, I use NFP) and TD for the house and cars. Td is a bit more expensive than I'd like, but I've had 2 claims in the past 3 years (one at fault when my son totalled my Kia Soul, and one not when someone hit me while I was stopped at a red light). Both were handled flawlessly, promptly, and I was well compensated for my losses both times.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use Echelon for the bikes (have to get to them through a broker, I use NFP) and TD for the house and cars. Td is a bit more expensive than I'd like, but I've had 2 claims in the past 3 years (one at fault when my son totalled my Kia Soul, and one not when someone hit me while I was stopped at a red light). Both were handled flawlessly, promptly, and I was well compensated for my losses both times.
Thank you. Echelon, hmmm, that's a new one on me. I guess I should start broker shopping.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I just moved to Quebec and just started using CAA for vehicles, home, and a camper trailer. Their prices are ok and the application process was good. Haven't had any claims yet. YMMV...

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Calgary, AB - Aviva Insurance
'17 FJR1300ES............. $140.00 / yr
'18 Vstrom 650.............. $116.00 / yr
PLPD - Personal liability and property damage coverage

• Wow
Reactions: pvwheeler

·
Premium Member
6,225 Posts
Christopher South, R.I.B. (Ont), CIP
Insurance Broker, SurNet Insurance Group Inc.
[email protected]
P
: 416-546-8969
F: 866-491-4002

Great guy and a rider ,,.saved me lots...ideally keep all your insurance with one company to save money.
Let me know how it works out.

Reactions: slovcan

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you, guys! All great information. Talk to a broker. Aviva and Intact I've heard of. I'm a CAA member and had travel insurance through them before. I'm also a Costco member and had travel insurance through them before at lower cost than CAA. So, I'll check with both of them, as well. And yes, I will get all insurance with the same outfit. That's what I did with Allstate. I will give them one chance to fix whatever is wrong today. Then, if they don't fix it, they lose everything. Like someone said, though, they won't care if they lose a $2,000/year client.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I started using Primmum many years ago when they were the ”official” insurance company of the Canadian Motorcycle Associaition. At some point they became part of the TD Meloche group. Since then I have given them my house, car, truck, trailer business in addition to the 2 motor cycles I have at the moment.
They have stuck with me through one house flood, two car write offs and a deer strike. I buy their “accident forgiveness” option so premiums have mot gone up in response to any of that.

I don’t know if they’re the best but they have been good to me over the years. Maybe I too should shop around.

*****I also buy the waiver of depreciation option on new vehicles (It get more expensive with age). About 15 years ago I rolled down over an embankment in a Golf TDI after falling asleep at the wheel at highway speeds. The car was 18 months old with 94,000 kms (!) and they wrote me a cheque for a new one plus hst!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, good folks, here's today's update. After emailing my local insurance agent (calling just goes to a call center), they worked on it all day. Their underwriter dept said I had to sign a form acknowledging that they wouldn't pay more than $12,307 if my bike got written off. I asked why because I don't have collision coverage and the bike is 20 years old and worth about a third of that (worth every penny to me!). They are trying to get an answer, but agree it is stupid. Now, last night's agent that phoned wrote to say it was a glitch because she didn't realize they had insured the bike before. A mistake, not a glitch. Anyway, it's over. Thanks for all the great suggestions.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts