StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've decided to sell my 07 Wee and just listed it locally on craigslist.

I did have some thoughts about value of certain parts and whether or not I'd be best off to sell them separately.

I currently have my bike listed at $3950 as is with 44k miles.

Zumo 550 w/ locking mount
Soft luggage
Givi top box (w/ scuffs)
Givi screen with some obvious wear.
Adjustable windscreen mounts
Older Corbin seat from a dl100
etc.

What are your thoughts on the bike price and the parts value?

Thank you in advance.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Separating makes more money. People will buy the stuff you take off but won't add that value to the price of the bike.

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
What Greywolf said above...........applies to just about ANY bike that you sell. Re-coup some of your farkle $$$ by selling them separately......think of it as "renting the farkle".....:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very true.

In particular, I'm curious how you guys feel about the evaluation of my bike as a whole and what would you suggest I list the farkles for individually? I don't want you to do any work for me, but I trust others opinions more than dated FS threads.

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nelson-Rigg soft luggage.

It also has a Dan Vesel pannier guard to keep the left side off the bike.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
With that many miles I think your pricing is on the money - but that's just me. I recently sold my '09 Wee which was very nicely equipped with lots of meaningful and useful mods for a couple hundred less, the only downside being that it was due for tires and a chain.

It kinda boils down to how you feel about your bike as it is and how you want the new owner to be happy. I'd done so much to my bike that it just wouldn't have been the same useful and practical machine by stripping it back down. I wanted the new owner to enjoy it and take good care of it as-is plus whatever else he wants to do to it.

Maybe overly sentimental of me but I think part of the fun is building on to it and creating something that's appreciated. Kinda like building a custom in a way, except it's a much more limited, slower, cheaper (yet practical) process.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought a 07 as yours 5 years ago for $3500 (5400 miles) with out your farks. Just sold a ZUMO 550 with mount on eBay for $380. Your soft luggage is a asset.

TravelGuy

I've decided to sell my 07 Wee and just listed it locally on craigslist.

I did have some thoughts about value of certain parts and whether or not I'd be best off to sell them separately.

I currently have my bike listed at $3950 as is with 44k miles.

Zumo 550 w/ locking mount
Soft luggage
Givi top box (w/ scuffs)
Givi screen with some obvious wear.
Adjustable windscreen mounts
Older Corbin seat from a dl100
etc.

What are your thoughts on the bike price and the parts value?

Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
With as few low value farkles as you have, I wouldn't bother with the hassle of selling them separately. YMMV

·
Registered
158 Posts
applies to just about ANY bike that you sell. Re-coup some of your farkle $$$ by selling them separately
But... will anybody be interested in buying a 44K mile '07 Wee that had nothing to make it more interesting than a similar, but much lower mile bike for not a lot more??? So you end up making $700 on the farkles separately (rough optimistic guestimate), but then are stuck with a bike that doesn't sell.

Look around in your area and see what other Wees are selling for and what kind of accessories are included with those bikes. Even if there are only a handful of bikes with low miles within $1K of your price, your bike will be hard to sell without the accessories.

Gustavo

·
Registered
36 Posts
First of all, really nice bike. :thumbup:

I am not currently in the market - sold my Intruder recently and SWMBO wants me to wait until the girl child is out of college (next year?) before purchasing another bike.

That said, I will be looking for a used farkeled up Wee when it's time. In my opinion getting things like center stands, engine guards, skid plates, luggage, and other bells and whistles already installed and ready for a big adventure is part of the reason to look for a used bike in the first place. I keep looking at the 'For Sale' section here (wife caught me looking - she said I could look but not touch :yikes:) and the ones I keep going back to have all interesting farkels. The ones that don't have things I want, I start adding up how much it will cost me to add them and compare the costs, usually it isn't worth it - to me anyway. Mileage isn't an issue as much as maintenance and care - but if it has nothing on it, it looks like the owner didn't put much into it, and the could include maintenance.

Just thought you may want the view of a future buyer - YMMV.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Most of the farkels don't add much to the selling price but may help it sell quicker. This is a tough time of the year to sell a bike.

Consider selling the non-Vstrom specific items separately, GPS for example. Use the rest as bait to bring in a buyer.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I'm thinking to sell it like it is but do not include the Zumo.
The stated condition of the other stuff may not get top dollar for them (except maybe the bags)
Seems a fair price but don't know what they run in your area.

·
Registered
831 Posts
When I prepare a motorcycle or scooter for sale, I remove as many accessories as practicable. I've had good luck getting the price I want when selling machines that look as showroom-stock (and clean) as possible. More to the point, my preferred modifications won't be yours, and vice versa.

Some buyers may in fact seek out motorcycles that have been pre-accessorized, as a method of saving a bit of money, but that hasn't been my experience. Not with motorcycles, anyway.

My formula for accessory valuation is straightforward:
-Left in situ when listing vehicle for sale: .10 cents on the dollar
-Removed and sold a la carte: .50 cents on the dollar
These are averages, and will vary according to the condition and demand for a given accessory.

I don't mind the effort required to remove, clean and advertise accessories for sale.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I would remove and resell the GPS, the Corbin seat, and maybe the soft saddlebags. The GPS might not interest a prospective buyer, but has some real value in the resale market. The soft saddlebags could be used on any bike. You might offer them to the eventual buyer of the bike at a decent price. Corbin seats are not to everyone's taste, and again are easily resold quickly for decent money (because they're expensive new and rare used).

·
Registered
347 Posts
What the ROI for your time taking the stuff off, listing it, dealing with idiots, packing and shipping it.

Do the numbers pencil out?

Would you make more money spending that time detailing the bike.

Sometimes time is more valuable then money.

All that said. I typically part the farkles out to other owners.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I would remove and resell the GPS, the Corbin seat, and maybe the soft saddlebags. The GPS might not interest a prospective buyer, but has some real value in the resale market. The soft saddlebags could be used on any bike. You might offer them to the eventual buyer of the bike at a decent price. Corbin seats are not to everyone's taste, and again are easily resold quickly for decent money (because they're expensive new and rare used).

I would agree with this!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree with the general consensus. I've removed the Zumo 550 and will be selling separate as it's the highest values item on the bike. The soft bags are great, but not likely to be worth selling separately and having to ship.

If someone local was interested in swapping seats + cash, we can talk, but otherwise it isn't worth it to me to sell separately and ship because I don't have the stock seat.

Thanks for the insight and advice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts