StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to lower his bike at least an inch, prefer 1.5". I see that there is a large, wide "dog bone" in between two semi-triangular plates. Which piece(s)needs to be replaced and who sells a good kit at a reasonable price?

Thx.

Ron

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Adventure Tech LLC. Rick is the man.

Thanks. I bought links from him on my previous 650 and they worked fine. His lowest is 1" and I wouldn't mind a little more than that but can't find much else out there.

Btw, I love your John Wayne quote. That's been my personal motto from the first time I saw The Shootist in 1979.

·
Administrator
16,788 Posts
Never go more than an inch, install lower seat and wear higher heel boots as well. Are you looking to flat foot or balls of your feet?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Rick's dog bones, at Adventuretech, go up to 1-1/8". More than that, and you risk safety issues with your suspension (and fork, if you're raising the forks at the same time -- which I've always done to maintain the same bike geometry).

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've never used them but I believe that links from Soupys Performance claim up to a 4" drop. As stated above though, there is a physical limit to dropping the rear as the links do not change the travel of the swing arm. At some point the wheel is going to get up-close and personal with the under side. And of course the geometry gets a little chopperesque.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've never used them but I believe that links from Soupys Performance claim up to a 4" drop. As stated above though, there is a physical limit to dropping the rear as the links do not change the travel of the swing arm. At some point the wheel is going to get up-close and personal with the under side. And of course the geometry gets a little chopperesque.
They can claim whatever they want but 4" drop can't be safe ...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Agreed. I'm not recommending them. Just answering the OP's question. And giving the same warning as you. My hope is that Soupy would recommend having the shock altered to reduce travel if used for more than 1" or so drop.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Never go more than an inch, install lower seat and wear higher heel boots as well. Are you looking to flat foot or balls of your feet?
Just my balls >:)

And thanks guys. I ordered the 1" from Adventure tech. I also removed those thick rubber spacer things from under the seat. That was good for a half inch.

Ron

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the Adventuretechs today. Have any of you guys put these on?

The three bolts face the right side of the bike. Two of them are blocked by exhaust, one completely and one partially. I cant figure a way to get a socket or a torque wrench on them. I may let the dealer service department do it but I don't trust them to give a crap if it's done right or not. Torque settings, etc.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I got the Adventuretechs today. Have any of you guys put these on?

The three bolts face the right side of the bike. Two of them are blocked by exhaust, one completely and one partially. I cant figure a way to get a socket or a torque wrench on them. I may let the dealer service department do it but I don't trust them to give a crap if it's done right or not. Torque settings, etc.
I just got in Rick's links as well... but for a 650. Everything is easily accessible. From what I can see of the 1000, if you can just slip an open ended wrench around the right side bolts as a stop, you should be able to unscrew with a socket from the left, and then wiggle the bolts out.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got in Rick's links as well... but for a 650. Everything is easily accessible. From what I can see of the 1000, if you can just slip an open ended wrench around the right side bolts as a stop, you should be able to unscrew with a socket from the left, and then wiggle the bolts out.
Thanks. I can probably get the nuts loose that way but I was worried about torquing them. Theres no way to get a torque wrench in there, on the right side. Is it possible to get an accurate torque from the bolt side. I'm not sure.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'm relatively confident you can set torque from either the nut or bolt side...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I lowered my 14 V1000 using a Soupys adjustable link. I lowered the front and rear about 3/4". Easy to install, but probably not as sturdy as the Adventuretech design. I wasn't sure how far I wanted to drop the bike so I went with the adjustable. Another advantage is that I can torque the bolts from the left side while blocking the end wrench on the right. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The practical limit on lowering the V-2 is the taper on the front fork uppers. It only allows you to slide the forks up (triple tree down) to where that taper begins. To keep essentially the same geometry that means the 1.+" drop on the rear is how far to go.

There are more radical ways go lower and still be perfectly safe. Try what you've done so far. You have made the right choice.

If it ever became a matter of not being able to use the bike (and you want to keep it) you can consider 17" front wheel and the adjustable dog bones. If you intend to be landing big-time motocross jumps you'll need a rubber bump stop on the rear shock :wink2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Will Murph's Lowering Links Fit a 2017 V-Strom 650 ABS

Murph provides lowering links for a DL650 and DL1000 without regard to model or year of production. I ordered a set for my 2017 DL650 and commented on the order form to ensure they will fit the 2017 model. Murph called and told me he thinks they will fit the 2017, but I should check a forum and he will check his sources. The order is on hold until this is resolved. Anyone know if the Murph lowering links will fit a 2017 V-Strom 650?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I installed the Murph Kit lowering links. They fit my 2017 Wee fine. Lowered the front a corresponding 0.75 inches. Didn't notice any additional effort to put bike on the (suzuki brand) center stand. Need to take a little more care when putting the bike on the side stand as it stands up a bit more.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts