StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a chain & sprockets for my 2007 DL1000. Any recommendations? I want to return to stock gear (17/41 I believe).

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Agree on Blair:thumbup:
Mike

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Yep, go with Blair. Insist on a steel rear sprocket though, my aluminum one is hooking slightly after 10,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
17/43

When mine wore out I switched sprockets - 17 tooth front 43 tooth rear and a DID Gold X-ring chain with 1 extra link.
A great improvement; 6 th gear is useable.
I think Suzuki should make the Vee stock with 17/43.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Go with the 530 size chain and sprockets,,,, & on the chain to not skimp..
Get the best... $$$$ & if your sprocket carrier goes on and off real easy replace your sprocket dampeners,,,, Makes for a smooth ride,,,
Mike

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I have been VERY happy with the 530 chain and sprockets I got from Blair. :thumbup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. What is the point of converting to a 530 chain? It is a bit amusing that whenever I had bikes with a 530 chain people converted to a 525 for weight savings, but when the bike comes with a 525 then people convert to the 530 for superior strength and durability. I suppose...

I already email Blair. I will look into the 530 conversion. I have +2 on the rear now, but I want to return to stock for a cross country trip I plan to go on soon.

·
Registered
22,265 Posts
Thanks for the replies. What is the point of converting to a 530 chain?
on sportbikes, mod mods are aligned to racing and being faster,

with an adventure bike, mods lean toward longevity and lower maintenance

chain & sprocket wear initiates when the roller impacts the face of the sporcket tooth, a 530 chain is 20% wider than a 525, and that much more surface area to spread the force of the impact

if your planning a 15,000 trip, that difference could mean having a chain or sprocket fail before you get back home

I use an oem SV1k/tLR/TLS front sprocket (why did suzuki feel it prudent to put 530 driveline on those but not the DL1k:confused:) and a sunstar steel 42t rear, cheap DID o-ring chain

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Thanks for the replies. What is the point of converting to a 530 chain? It is a bit amusing that whenever I had bikes with a 530 chain people converted to a 525 for weight savings, but when the bike comes with a 525 then people convert to the 530 for superior strength and durability. I suppose...

I converted to 530 for the increased durability and reduced maintenance as noted, but also because it's a much more common size, and if I ever have a chain problem in some remote backwater, I stand a far better chance of scaring up parts before some toothless dude tells me I got a purty mouth.

That's probably being a bit paranoid, I guess, but I've been riding shafties for the last ten years and chains still sorta give me the willies. They're just... out there. All those parts, so exposed and vulnerable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts