StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add a few parts for road trips, clutch cable, shift lever etc, in the event of a get-off that breaks things.

Clutch cable for OEM is cheap, but the OEM shift lever is definitely on the pricey side.

Any recommendations for an aftermarket gear shift lever to keep in the road parts kit?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
You might be interested in DL650 - Folding Foot Shift Lever

It will fold the end in a crash and spring back. If you still manage to bend it it can be bent back without breaking. You can keep the OEM in the parts kit but you'll probably never need it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Folding shifter is fine but if you crash and bend the lever down and/or way out, as often does, having small Vice-Grips with you is a WAY good idea. First to try to straighten it out enough to use. And second, if the lever snaps off, either from the fall or as straightening is attemted, you can clamp them on the broken shifter as a make-shift lever.

dave

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
I think the folder lever is the way to go. I replaced my shifter with the folding version after reading here that the stock part was breaking sometimes with tip overs.

+1 on the vice grips. I have a set of needle nose vice grips in the toolkit.

·
Registered
353 Posts
folding lever work as well as OEM

Greywolf,

Do you use that Vstoma model and does it work as well as stock with the folding lever? (never used folding lever before)

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Bent levers

The foot levers both brake and gear, are very tough alloy and are very and I mean very, tough to straighten while at the side of the road. Try 2nd hand from a wrecker, breaker , dismantler whatever you call them Stateside. Or don't fall over!:thumbup:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I have the stock foot controls. People who have the folding tips say they work fine.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
A small aftermarket Suzuki dirt bike shifter with a couple of bends will fit straight on the splined shaft, bypassing the linkage but providing the same physical footpeg->shifter space.

It does reverse the shift pattern and I found it impossible to live with that in commuter traffic - BUT it's really small and will easilly fit under the seat, and as a way to limp home (or finish a trip) I'd put it well above vice grips.

Pete

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Greywolf,

Do you use that Vstoma model and does it work as well as stock with the folding lever? (never used folding lever before)
Yes, but. The bushing quality isn't great, and after a while (~40,000k's) it'll wear and get sloppy.

I took mine off when that became a problem and havn't bothered to push out the bush and replace it - otherwise, yes, it works fine, that was the only problem.
By then I had Plan-B (previous post) in my toolkit and no longer cared.

Pete

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
+1 on the VStroma folding shift lever. Works great, I actually like it better than the stock shifter. Also, it's super easy to install, just be careful not to send the circlip flying when taking it off (it can be hard to find).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I`ll bring this up again. It just happened that my gear shif lever just snipped off on the road. From above mentioned I understood that dr650 shifter fits vstrom, but it is reversed. Is there any other that fits to the vstrom?

·
Premium Member
3,695 Posts
Many of us have the Studebaker folding shifter lever & I thinks it's well made. There was a guy here selling them in the classifieds for almost half of retail last year....can't remember his handle. Full retail is $50:
DL650 - Folding Foot Shift Lever

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
There was a guy here selling them in the classifieds for almost half of retail last year....can't remember his handle. Full retail is $50:
That was me, Motor.......my supply was running out, and the Mod's decided I should have a "Vendor Account" anyway (i.e. pay Verticalscope more $$$$), so if one is looking for the Studie-Shifter, best bet would be Ebay (maybe).....or Pay Vstroma $50 plus shipping. :serious:

·
Premium Member
3,695 Posts
That's too bad...I thought you were doing a good thing.............

·
Registered
342 Posts
Many of us have the Studebaker folding shifter lever & I thinks it's well made. There was a guy here selling them in the classifieds for almost half of retail last year....can't remember his handle. Full retail is $50:
I purchased one of these, but had to replace the bushing because it just fell out after less than 100 km of use. The replacement bushing had to be turned .035" larger in diameter than the original in order to fit correctly.

Other than the above issue, the lever works well and the added .25" length is more comfortable that the stock lever.

·
Vendor
5,846 Posts
Spurred on by the treatment of Narcosis Junky, I checked the other day about the "less expensive" vendor options. VS had a "minimal" fee of $100 a month. You didn't get your own forum, but you would have the "privilege" of interfacing with the members about things you sell. They did away with this option. I don't know why, it seemed to be a good deal for them, but it is gone.

However, I have an idea that might be able to bring the Strommer's merchandise crowd back.

Consider this. A vendor forum that is a cooperative used to market the various home grown products before VS took over. This could be used by all the folks with sales too small to work on their own, but banded together could make the forum payment. One of them would need to take the lead, but I think it could be done.

Mark444, Narcosis Junkie, Dan Vessel, etc, could all come back with the neat stuff that seems to have all but disappeared. Additionally, I have good reason to believe we will soon have the kind of environment back that fostered this innovators.

If your interested, or know someone who should be, shoot me a PM. No guarantees, but I think it could work.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I purchased one of these, but had to replace the bushing because it just fell out after less than 100 km of use. The replacement bushing had to be turned .035" larger in diameter than the original in order to fit correctly.

Other than the above issue, the lever works well and the added .25" length is more comfortable that the stock lever.
I have the same issue. The overall unit is well made, but the bushing is a poor/loose fit. I forsee re-bushing it in the near future.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm going to disagree with the comments about the folding lever being well made. We took three of them on our trip to South America. One the linkage broke and had to be welded, the other two have so much slop in them after 20k miles that they need to be replaced. The connection of the linkage to the shifter is poorly designed and the bushing is clearly too large. I'd keep looking.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts