StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Another noob question- how do I splice 3 12 gauge wires (one from switch; two from pair of aux light) in the fairing area? Is there a unique connector?

Thanks again.
John

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
(3) single butt connectors (male and female)
(1) 3-pole polarized connector (male and female)
(1) soldering iron and (3) pieces of heat-shrink tubing

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This might sound overly simple- why not just twist, apply proper size wire nut and wrap with some serious tape that wont come undone.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
This might sound overly simple- why not just twist, apply proper size wire nut and wrap with some serious tape that wont come undone.
Works well in a dry, enclosed, non mobile environment such as a switch box in a structure, not so well in any sort of vehicle.

·
Registered
944 Posts
From personal experiences of making mistakes, I now use marine-grade components. Google the specific items you want and preface them with 'marine grade' and you'll find high-quality parts. I recently added an oil temp gauge/sensor project on my Wee using marine grade wiring/connectors/switches/relays and am confident that I will not have problems with moisture. BTW, the kit came from Motosens of Germany. It's a top-notch kit but the process of ordering and getting it to the USA was a total nightmare.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
12 gauge? That would carry 30 amps in the relatively cool environment of a motorcycle. What amperage will it carry, and what wire size would be handier?

I ran a #12 negative wire from my battery post to the front of the bike to serve as a negative bus. I connect all the negatives from the various gadgets to this one bus wire.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
12 gauge? That would carry 30 amps in the relatively cool environment of a motorcycle. What amperage will it carry, and what wire size would be handier?

I ran a #12 negative wire from my battery post to the front of the bike to serve as a negative bus. I connect all the negatives from the various gadgets to this one bus wire.
Its actually for my 10 watt aux lamps. A friend gave the wire to me.

I know its overkill; do I need to use smaller gauge?

John

·
Registered
22,323 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gonna attempt soldering the connection- something akin to the western union splice, solder, then add two layers of heat shrink.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Been crazy and havent done this wiring yet.

However, given PT's work, Im wondering if two 12 gauge stranded wires (pos and neg) could be used joining the fuse panel to a dedicated spot in the cowling where these device wires could be joined to the pos and neg- two female cig connection sockets, 4 usbs (2 dual sockets) and dual aux lights of 10 watts each. Maybe ring connections on the wires, then bolted together?

Thanks,
John

Or does this defeat the fuse panel purpose?

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
You seem to be talking about something like a terminal strip. You can get the "Euro" type at Radio Shack.

FFS, you don't need to run 12 gauge wire for those piddling little loads. 16 gauge would be plenty.

There is a down side to running larger wires than you need -- they're bulky, stiff, and hard to work with.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Posi Lock waterproof connectors

Posi-Lock(R) - The Best Connectors You'll Ever Use!

you can undo/redo them with just a twist or three, not to mention they are reusable. They are expensive at about 1.50 each compared to butt/crimp connectors, but since they last damn near forever, and are reusable, they easily pay for themselves.

You can find em on ebay, amazon and even webbikeworld sells em

I won't ever use another crimp/butt connection again. :thumbup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts