StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to power a gps, emer light/pump, and chg a cell phone. What is the best product to accomplish this without having to pull the seat off and plug one of these in some cheap cigarette lighter adapter? If it can be up near the dash that would be great too. For DL650 Thanks,

·
Administrator
17,093 Posts
Powerlet.....end of discussion!

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Yeah, go for the Powerlet. Even marine grade cigarette lighters aren't robust enough for the bike.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
+3 Powerlet

Go to their web site and look. They actually make a specific kit for the V-Strom that mounts the socket on the left side of the dash.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a marine grade power outlet that works great. I have it mounted flush in the black plastic cowling, just right of the right edge of my wind screen . It powers my Valentine 1. Two years of riding without any issues. I bought the heavy duty version with a rubberized covering which cost around $15.00.
-----------
Wingz

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I have a marine grade power outlet that works great.
Mine works great most of the time. My Powerlet works great all of the time. The difference is in the positive capture of the Powerlet.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do all you Powerlet guys use the V-Strom model with 11/16" hole?

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Do all you Powerlet guys use the V-Strom model with 11/16" hole?

Yes. This is the V-Strom kit.
You need to remember that a Powerlet outlet is no a cigarette lighter outlet they are different sizes. If you need to use a cigarette lighter socket then you will need an adapter like the PAC-002 or you will need to rewire the device with a Powerlet plug however if you do that be careful about the output voltages. Many cigarette lighter plugs actually step the output voltage down to 5 Volts.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Yes. This is the V-Strom kit.
You need to remember that a Powerlet outlet is no a cigarette lighter outlet they are different sizes. If you need to use a cigarette lighter socket then you will need an adapter like the PAC-002 or you will need to rewire the device with a Powerlet plug however if you do that be careful about the output voltages. Many cigarette lighter plugs actually step the output voltage down to 5 Volts.
I find this kinda confusing...everything I bought GPS,Radar detector,etc all use cigarette plug ins so what exactly is the powerlet for if not for that?
Sorry im so dense :rolleyes:
One other thing I noticed..on the powerlet page it says not recommended for heated clothing but the pdf instructions say uses ie: heated vest?

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
A Powerlet socket is not the same size as a cigarette socket.
It is smaller and has a positive lock arrangement that a cigarette socket does not this produces a better and more reliable connection particularly on a bike.
A single Powerlet socket is not going to be any good for multiple items. If you want to run things like GPS and Radar detectors you are better to hard wire those straight to a suitable fuse box like the Blue Seas unit mounted under your seat.
Can't comment on heated clothing it's not that cold here.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I bought a 12V weather resistant plug from Wallmart and mounted it up by the ignition switch. It's been there for over 20K miles and works like a champ. I use it for charging my cell phone or running my 12V compressor to re-inflate tires.

I have it wired directly to the battery (via a fuse) so I can use with the bike off.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe my original post is confusing things. The only thing I've found at parts stores is a cheap looking direct wire to battery unit. Two thin ga wires leading to a female plastic housing that a radar detector or phone would would normally plug into in a car. It is cheap, no fuse, and the wires are short. The only way to use them would be to plug devices into it and store them under the seat. Otherwise water would be an issue. So, I'm looking for an upgrade. Looks like the Powerlet should do the trick. And if I'm reading it correctly, I can use my extreme charge if I buy the adapter and keep the seat on as well. http://www.xtremechargers.com/ Pretty cool stuff.

·
Registered
334 Posts
go to Aerostich (and remember this company, it's one of the best for the type of riding we typically do) and check out these two items.

first i recommend and have used for over 10,000 miles this outlet:

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/All-Weather-Power-Outlet-Standard-Adapter-Plug-p-18317.html

you can mount this to the LEFT side of the interior of your fairing (to the black plastic piece that comes out when removing the tupperware) with two small screws. better yet, they sell double-sided tape of the sort that automotive companies use to install body panels (read: permanent). that's what i used and i mounted two of them to the inside of the actual painted body panel, again, on the left side and high enough that i could run power cables to the devices i needed powered. once more, they have been there for more then 10,000 miles.

i soldered both of them together and terminated them with some bullet connecters (use the connectors of your choice) so i can quickly disconnect them when removing the tupperware. i then ran a single heavier gauge set of wires back to the battery with an inline micro-blade fuse, again, terminated in bullet connectors one the business side and ring terminals at the battery. i simply reversed the male and female ends so it can only go back together one way. (there IS a positive and negative polarity to these cigarette outlets.) the run from the battery was easily tucked along the frame. the rest of the wiring, including the blade fuse and bullet connectors, tuck into the pocket that already holds the large bundle of OEM wires.

you can find the blade fuse here:
http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/In-Line-Blade-Fuse-Holder-p-16297.html

but i used radio shack to find mine. I run a 3amp micro blade fuse (like a regular blade fuse but smaller) which powers my Garmin GPSMAP 60cx and can also charge a cell phone at the same time. i intended to run a radar detector off of it as well. i carry a couple extra fuses (i did blow a fuse on the 3600 mile ride to wyoming and back which finished up yesterday) and a couple 10 amp fuses as well in the tool kit. if you look at that part of your fairing, it doesn't catch much water even in a hard rain and my outlets have never given me a lick of trouble in any circumstance-- even in the severe thunderstorm we hit outside the badlands in south dakota last thursday.

you can also mount this outlet into your fairing if you'd like.
http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Panel-Mount-Outlet-p-18318.html

all the rest of the gear: the bullet connectors, the soldering gun, solder, heat shrink, and wire can be bought from radio shack. the entire process took me 2 hours.

let me know if you have any questions. the power cords run neatly from the corner of my tankbag and my bar-mounted GPS down to the outlets without a hitch.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've got a wally world special mounted to my other bike (VL800 cruiser with a fairing) and never had a problem with it. Might not be as pretty as the powerlet ones but does the trick.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
A Powerlet socket is not the same size as a cigarette socket.
It is smaller
This confused me as well. I see where you say it is smaller, but does it accept the male end of a typical cigarette plug (the type of plugs that come with say a battery tender, car vacuum, etc.)? Probably a dumb question, but I was not sure.
Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
204 Posts
After doing some research, I have the answer right in my garage. I am going to "borrow" the one that is on my ATV that I never use, it has a nice weatherproof rubber cover with it as well. Okay so I'm a cheap bastard, I know.

·
Registered
108 Posts
go to Aerostich (and remember this company, it's one of the best for the type of riding we typically do) and check out these two items.

first i recommend and have used for over 10,000 miles this outlet:

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/All-Weather-Power-Outlet-Standard-Adapter-Plug-p-18317.html

you can mount this to the LEFT side of the interior of your fairing (to the black plastic piece that comes out when removing the tupperware) with two small screws. better yet, they sell double-sided tape of the sort that automotive companies use to install body panels (read: permanent). that's what i used and i mounted two of them to the inside of the actual painted body panel, again, on the left side and high enough that i could run power cables to the devices i needed powered. once more, they have been there for more then 10,000 miles.

i soldered both of them together and terminated them with some bullet connecters (use the connectors of your choice) so i can quickly disconnect them when removing the tupperware. i then ran a single heavier gauge set of wires back to the battery with an inline micro-blade fuse, again, terminated in bullet connectors one the business side and ring terminals at the battery. i simply reversed the male and female ends so it can only go back together one way. (there IS a positive and negative polarity to these cigarette outlets.) the run from the battery was easily tucked along the frame. the rest of the wiring, including the blade fuse and bullet connectors, tuck into the pocket that already holds the large bundle of OEM wires.

you can find the blade fuse here:
http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/In-Line-Blade-Fuse-Holder-p-16297.html

but i used radio shack to find mine. I run a 3amp micro blade fuse (like a regular blade fuse but smaller) which powers my Garmin GPSMAP 60cx and can also charge a cell phone at the same time. i intended to run a radar detector off of it as well. i carry a couple extra fuses (i did blow a fuse on the 3600 mile ride to wyoming and back which finished up yesterday) and a couple 10 amp fuses as well in the tool kit. if you look at that part of your fairing, it doesn't catch much water even in a hard rain and my outlets have never given me a lick of trouble in any circumstance-- even in the severe thunderstorm we hit outside the badlands in south dakota last thursday.

you can also mount this outlet into your fairing if you'd like.
http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Panel-Mount-Outlet-p-18318.html

all the rest of the gear: the bullet connectors, the soldering gun, solder, heat shrink, and wire can be bought from radio shack. the entire process took me 2 hours.

let me know if you have any questions. the power cords run neatly from the corner of my tankbag and my bar-mounted GPS down to the outlets without a hitch.
thanks for the post!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts