StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just browsing Chaparral Motosports website for my wee Strom and saw that Rekluse has a centrifugal clutch kit for the 650. Has anybody tried it on the Strom? Just curious how they liked it and how it held up.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,190 Posts
I don't have any input on the DL 650 version. The 650 would be much easier on the basket I would think. But I did work on a clutch basket where the owner had been using a Rekluse for the DL 1000. I would highly recommend staying away from that one! It was tearing up the clutch basket pretty bad. Supposedly that unit was an early/prototype unit but I don't know if they made changes since then.

I also done a clutch basket for a customer with a EFM Auto Clutch and it is completely different in how it fits into the system. It won't cause the problems the other did.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I don't have one on my vstrom, but i have a buddy with a BMW, it he loves and i rode it too, it was cool, really nice not having to slip the clutch going up crappy 4x4 roads, it's like an automatic, just give it gas to go the speed you want to go,,i've been thinking of getting one for the wee,,

·
Registered
149 Posts
It was tearing up the clutch basket pretty bad. Supposedly that unit was an early/prototype unit but I don't know if they made changes since then.
On their website they indicate there is a basket liner as part of the kit. Perhaps that's their solution to that issue. How much $$ are they? The "Buy now" link isn't working for me.

https://rekluse.com/product/radiusx-clutch/

Sp56

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I have had one on my 2003 WR450f since about 2004 ?? :confused:

I think it is different to the ones they sell today.

It works great but takes some getting use to, if you let the RPM's fall too far the gearbox and motor will disconnect so there is no engine braking, a quick blip on the throttle will have it engaged again.

When you get into the real steep hilly stuff is where it shines, no clutch abuse and you can't stall the motor no matter how badly you stuff up but you can't clutch start the bike either.

I have the kit that allows me to use the clutch if I want to, it feels strange, with low RPM's there is no tension on the clutch but if you bring the RPM's up it will feel like a normal cable operated clutch.

I would say unless you have a physical problem using a clutch, spend 90% of your time in very steep country climbing logs and stuff or stop start traffic for hours on end I would not bother on a Strom.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,190 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I put one in two months ago. I've tested it on several rough jeep trails and it makes walking my DL650 trough tricky rocky sections MUCH easier. I also like that I don't have to perfectly feather the clutch while descending steep sections. You just concentrate on braking without worrying if you lock the rear wheel.
Otherwis if functions just like a normal clutch on the street.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts