StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Off Wee-ing in the woods
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a set of tourances on the yesterday and now I have a front end wobble that I didn't have before. I did a little digging and it seems that the wobble questions haven't been coming up for a year or so.

It could be a combination of things. It was the first time I've mounted tires, but everything seemed to go fine and I think I got it pretty well balanced. I'm going to try to get the balance checked tomorrow for sure.

Thanks

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
It is the tire....not the balance. I love mine, and the wobbles seems to get less with mileage.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Have any ideas what would cause a wobble? At what speed does the wobble happen and how bad is it?

Rich

·
Registered
942 Posts
I have about 50 miles on a new set of Tourances and noticed right away that the bike seems squirrly or wobbly, at highway speeds. It feels kind of like riding over those bridges with metal grates. On the one hand I'm upset that the bike doesn't feel smooth as silk on a brand new set of well-reputed quality tires, but on the other hand I'm glad to hear it's not just me; which might indicate poor mounting/balancing (I had the shop do it). I kind of assumed it would go away with miles, but I'm curious how many?

[EDITED: after really thinking about it, I notice it most right at 60mph. On tomorrow's ride I'll find some open pavement and hold the speed steady a several speeds, at 10 mph increments, and note when the wobble shows up. If it gets progressively worse, then it's straight back to the shop for a re-mount/balance. If it only exists at a single speed, I'll make a phone call at the shop to see what they recommend. It may be a balance issue.]

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I got a new set of Tourances this summer. The front was mounted a couple of weeks after the rear on the first day of a 4,900KM road trip. I noticed the "wobble" immediately. For me it comes at 40KPH (25MPH) and only lasts for a few KPH. It reminds me of riding over tar snakes with the Trailwings.
It is not a problem at higher speeds but I would be concerned if it was.
I remembered reading that others had experienced the same thing with the Tourance. All of the references I saw mentioned it happening at lower speeds so if it is getting worse with speed I would check to see if your balance is off.

·
Registered
273 Posts
No problem with my Tourance's. They've been on for about 2K miles now. And wobbles are not caused by a balance problem. Balance is up and down. Wobbles are side to side. Old school was that most wobbles actually originate in the rear - overloading, carrying weight up high, bad shocks, or a bad tire. Put it on the center stand so the rear tire is off the ground. Spin it or put it in a gear at idle speed. Stand back and see if the tire moves side to side. If it does - check that the tire bead is seated on the rim 360 degrees - both sides. If the bead is okay - try to see if the tread moves side to side.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
942 Posts
I went for a 160 mile ride yesterday, on two lane mountain highways and back roads (all paved). Never noticed the slightest bit of wobble. Now that I think about it, the wobble I experienced riding to work and back was probably caused by "tar snakes" and/or turbulence from riding in traffic. When it's just me on a well-paved road, it's smooth as silk.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Serious wobble, only between 40-43 MPH on both accel and decel.

I WON'T be purchasing another Tourance front. I love the rear but the front has way too many issues. Too bad, if it wasn't for the stinking wobble it would be the perfect tire for the Strom.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts