StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so now that I have installed (and like) the adventuretech GPS mount, I am second guessing whether or not to use my iphone 6+ or get a GPS. I have read many threads here about each.

I love the iphone (its huge) but am thinking, here in lower NY/CT (cold and rainy at times and lots of potential sticky fingers) that i may not want to potentially forget my fancy iphone+ on the bike. And the phone is such a distraction in the first place that i want it packed away. Which means, I am in market for a GPS. Yes the spending just never ends with this bike! Its as bad as a boat. A hole in the pavement you throw money in.

I am not doing any super long trips. Just lots of multi-hour day trips from home with the occasional overnighter. 800-900$ for a top garmin seems ludicrous. Or is it really amazing and worth it? I don't mind paying for top quality. But expensive does not always mean better.

So any suggestions (recent experiences) for a GPS to get? I do like the idea of trip planning. I did that for my last overnighter using google maps and printed the map. So being able to pre-plan a trip on my PC and then get it on the GPS sounds awesome. And although I don't have a headset yet (for music) i really think that is on my horizon too. So being able to play some (not loud) music would be great. Not sure if that has anything to do with the GPS or not. And finally, I don't really like voice instructions with a GPS. I prefer the occasional looking at the map if i need to. That is unless you can load Snoop Dogs voice in the GPS :wink2:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am also considering getting a GPS, as I am often finding myself lost after taking alternate routes that look interesting.
Electronics seem to be obsolete/outdated as soon as you get them because of little features that get put into a new model. A lot of those features I will probably never use.
So, I will be watching this thread with great interest.

·
Premium Member
4,666 Posts
iPhone 4s used fo $100 or less gives you a lot of flexibility with the many apps available ( that don't need a cell plan )

I use my iphone 5 but carry a 4 as a spare.
There are loads of waterproof solutions starting with a zip lock bag.

GPS standalone are a dying segment. You lock into one manufacturer and they are expensive so you still risk a valuable item

You already know iOS. Stick with it.
$50 gets you TomTom North America with its unique Winding Roads which from your riding description will provide loads of surprises and fun.

The interface is clunky but it works and the Winding Roads feature makes up for it
Buy it on one device - use it on others - regular easy updates and you've got your tunes or Audible books as a bonus .

MotionXGPS is tradition GPS that works without cell connection.

There are others ...CoPilot - don't spend money on dated tech is my advice. Used iphones are cheap and durable

Electronics seem to be obsolete/outdated as soon as you get them because of little features that get put into a new model.
This exactly why you want to divorce the software from the device.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually have an unused iPhone 4. But there is no plan with it anymore. So how would a phone without a data plan function as a GPS on the go? Doesn't it need a cellular signal to use GPS functionality? Or am I missing something?

Locally maps dont work for me. Its pretty congested here. I tried it. A large area map doesn't show enough road detail. Zoomed in maps require flipping pages alot. I want digital! I stopped using my Hagstroms years ago. Thats right HagSTROM.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm in the MotionX camp, I have MotionX GPS.:| $1.99 to buy, then $5.99 so you can download and use custom map sources.

I'm like you, I have a spare iPhone 5 left over from an upgrade.:| It doesn't have a plan associated with it, so it's only good for 911 calls (I think).:| However, Wi-Fi, GPS, and Bluetooth still work.:| There is a bit of a learning curve with MotionX.:| You want to set up your maps and download the needed segments while you are on your home wi-fi, and that can take a LONG time.:| If you want to download a large area, download it in segments totaling less than 100,000 tiles, then grab the next section.:| Don't worry about overlap, it will only download the tiles for that section if you haven't yet downloaded them.:| You can play with upper and lower zoom levels to tailor how close or far back you want to look, the the closer you get (more detailed), the more tiles you will have to download. :|

There is one niggle I'm still trying to figure out, and I'll admit that I haven't played with it too much in non-cell mode.:| When using the phone in non-cell service mode, it seems that some movement is needed before it starts tracking on the map, then it's fine.:| Before then, it just shows the "No Data" tiles.:| It's a little frustrating, because I want to look at the downloaded maps for an area 250 miles away, but it's being goofy on what it shows.:| I need to drive a little to see if that kicks it into gear.:| However, I used it on my regular phone (with cell service) last year to do the COBDR, and it did fine.

Another thing to point out is that MotionX GPS doesn't have turn-by-turn voice instructions.:| I heard another one of their products does have that feature, but I use Waze on my main phone for that, because I only need it for street use.

I'm working hard to have this work out.

Caveat::| I'm not riding in any critical areas (yet), and have my main phone, ancient GPS, and paper map as backups.

Additional links

To download satellite imagery and USGS tops maps
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/a/11168/Cheap-Motorcycle-GPS-How-to-Make-One-Using-an-iPhone-for-Under-150

http://tlcfaq.com/main/2013/08/motion-x-custom-maps/

http://www.bemental.me/blog/2015/2/19/custom-maps-with-motionx-gps

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
GPS works on a phone that does not have wifi connection or a cellular data plan?! No friggin way. I will charge my old phone and report back!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
iPhone 4s used fo $100 or less gives you a lot of flexibility with the many apps available ( that don't need a cell plan )

I use my iphone 5 but carry a 4 as a spare.
There are loads of waterproof solutions starting with a zip lock bag.

GPS standalone are a dying segment. You lock into one manufacturer and they are expensive so you still risk a valuable item

You already know iOS. Stick with it.
$50 gets you TomTom North America with its unique Winding Roads which from your riding description will provide loads of surprises and fun.

The interface is clunky but it works and the Winding Roads feature makes up for it
Buy it on one device - use it on others - regular easy updates and you've got your tunes or Audible books as a bonus .

MotionXGPS is tradition GPS that works without cell connection.

There are others ...CoPilot - don't spend money on dated tech is my advice. Used iphones are cheap and durable

This exactly why you want to divorce the software from the device.
Can you read the screen of your I phone in bright sunshine? To me that is the biggest challenge to find a device, be it GPS or phone that is clearly readable regardless of conditions. The ziplock bag sounds great for rain but in real life is dangerous because it is rather reflective and the touchscreen works only so so through it.

·
Premium Member
4,666 Posts
Can you read the screen of your I phone in bright sunshine? To me that is the biggest challenge to find a device, be it GPS or phone that is clearly readable regardless of conditions. The ziplock bag sounds great for rain but in real life is dangerous because it is rather reflective and the touchscreen works only so so through it.
25,000 km with an iphone says your fears are unwarranted. 10,000 in June alone.
I set my X mount so I can tilt the screen away a bit from sun position

This was very flat glary day at 11,000' on Beartooth Pass with the iPhone 5

The iPhone 4 was not as bright as the 5 and this cover was annoying for reflection but could be moved and was designed for touch screen

In rain of course its brighter and you are really not doing much with the screen by way of using it while riding

Most times the phone just sits in the X mount directly accessible.
Was nice tonight ....complicated ride to a AirBnD was effortless all the while listening to a superb Audible book.

I can also use voice nav if I choose tho rarely do. Some mount their nav device too far away for easy use and reading.
Volume is easily accessible with the side buttons,

I like the way the TomTom app shows you exactly what you see - signage etc at junctions

·
Premium Member
4,666 Posts
GPS works on a phone that does not have wifi connection or a cellular data plan?! No friggin way. I will charge my old phone and report back!
Of course....this is hardest myth to overcome that a smartphone needs wifi or cellular to work as a GPS.
IT DOESN'T.

Some apps like Google or MotionXDriver and others need a network.

MotionxGPS, Co-Pilot, TomTom and others do not....period, full stop.

Just like any GPS - it just needs to see the sky.

You do need to download the maps to the phone initially. TomTom $50 gets you all of North America and free updates ( it's come a long way ).

If you google

iphone on a motorcycle

in images you'll see dozens of photos of mounts and with the iphones on.

We carry these

From Frieq - I just clamped in the Xmount upside down and ran the power cable in from the bottom.

Nice thing with the Xmount it accommodates different solutions.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm a GPS nOOb and had been using various methods such as an old smart phone and then tried a auto type Garmin. I really disliked the poor visibility of the screens in the daylight - took my concentration off the road too much plus had to remove my glove to use them.

I bit he bullet an the Tom Tom Rider for $348. It does let me download custom maps and has a winding roads feature. Plus it's glove friendly and waterproof. Another cool feature is it will record your route which I like so it you ride with someone who takes you on some nice roads you can record it for future use. The biggest complaint I read is the menu system is kind of clunky and I agree. Have been playing with it some but haven't done anything serious yet - but will be taking on a 4 day trip this weekend so we'll see how it performs.

As posted above I'm sure there are other cheaper options that can utilized but I was ready for simple solution.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just ordered that case! Thank you. Will use it on the beach and on the bike. Nice find.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yeah, the touch screen on an iPhone does have its challenges when you are wearing gloves. I tried putting some conductive thread in the tip of my glove, very unreliable. I found a $5 capacitive pen at Amazon and put it on a fly-fishing retractor, which in attached to my CamelBak. Works ok off-road where you can stop for a second to make adjustments, but it can be tricky on-road because you have to focus on hitting the right spot while bouncing. Dangerous because you are taking your eyes off the road to long to make adjustments.

Another niggle with MotionX GPS on a cell phone with cell coverage. If you in an area where you have spotty coverage, you get messages in the middle of the screen saying that you lost network coverage, and you have to touch the box to make it go away. I haven't used my GPS-only iPhone yet in that scenario, do I can't comment.

Frankly, I don't bother with MotionX GPS on anything other than trails or in areas where cell coverage is abominable. Waze or Google Maps is better for 99% of the roads, and I've found many dirt forest roads in Google Maps. Google Maps even works out of cell coverage and uses the last map tile it downloaded. I'm sure you can run off that tile if you get way back on a forest road.

BTW, I'm committed to making my GPS-only iPhone work, I'm not spending $300-500+ for a GPS at this time, hopefully never.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
These are some great tips.
I can't wait to try this. I must have an old phone laying around somewhere.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Love my Zumo GPS, bought a smaller older model 220...waterproof, nice to setup routes etc...however not with liftime maps.
A cheaper route would be a cheap automobile Garmin with lifetime updates, available for $100. or so....not waterproof but you can get a case or a plastic bag with zipties....does not eat up data on your cell phone and works in areas where your cell phone won't.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts