StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster looking for some advice. I'm looking at purchasing a Strom 1000 2004 model with rebuilt title. Current owner says was dropped from standing still. Cosmetic damage which was repaired. It has 38K miles on it and owner asking 3300 for it.

Would yall have issues purchasing this bike? I've never bought with rebuilt title before but stroms are few and far between in my area. Looking to buy used and under 4,000 dollars. Any advice or pointers would be appreciated. Thanks for any input given.

·
Registered
15,074 Posts
I've gotten salvage bikes before. Cosmetically F'd up but fine runners. Being aware of the salvage title and knowing that in some places the bike has to be safety certified before getting a license plate might be comforting enough.
I'm working on an 05 Wee salvage. Calif doesn't have a safety certification that I know of. The lights have to certified operational but that's about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is 38K too high of mileage? Do these bikes typically last long if maintained?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Is 38K too high of mileage? Do these bikes typically last long if maintained?
There was a guy w/ 450,000 miles on a well maintained V1000. 38,000 is just getting it's 1st wind. :cool:

IMHO - If all checks out OK - I'd offer him $3,000.

FYI - I picked up my 2012 V1000 last year w/ 40K miles on the clock for $3,500.

·
Registered
25 Posts
First time poster looking for some advice. I'm looking at purchasing a Strom 1000 2004 model with rebuilt title. Current owner says was dropped from standing still. Cosmetic damage which was repaired. It has 38K miles on it and owner asking 3300 for it.

Would yall have issues purchasing this bike? I've never bought with rebuilt title before but stroms are few and far between in my area. Looking to buy used and under 4,000 dollars. Any advice or pointers would be appreciated. Thanks for any input given.
I recently bought a 650 with 33,000 miles on it, same story, blew over in a violent wind. I brought a flashlight and took a look around the frame for any signs of damage/repair/non-factory welds, looked everywhere for any signs of road rash on metal, test rode it including testing “no hands” for driving straight and true.

The seller was a very credible older fellow and I had no reason not to believe him, he told me which shop had repaired and what all they had done. But in the end I gave him a low offer of Cdn $3,000 in part because of the “rebuilt” title, and a few other maintenance items. Several days later he accepted my offer, perhaps because others wouldn’t pay more for a bike with a rebuilt title.

If you are concerned about his story and don’t feel confident that you can properly detect potential issues, I would take it to a shop for an inspection.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There was a guy w/ 450,000 miles on a well maintained V1000. 38,000 is just getting it's 1st wind. :cool:

IMHO - If all checks out OK - I'd offer him $3,000.

FYI - I picked up my 2012 V1000 last year w/ 40K miles on the clock for $3,500.
Did you find those in local craigslist etc? I'm using KSL classified in utah which is the biggest buy, sell, trade place out here. Got any info on where I could find a good used Strom?

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Its not so uncommon to total a bike from a easy drop. The Ducati 848/1098 series bikes had the pillion pegs mounted to the mainframe. If you dropped the bike right it would bent the pegs and frame. They were easy to bend back but if you went to an insurance company and the frame was bent more often than not they'll total the bike. V-Rods are the same if you lean the bike the rigid mount pegs would catch and bend.

So with that any salvage title bike is worth 50% or less than average retail. Because no one really know what happened to the bike. Was it dropped on its side and ran for 3 minutes starved for oil until someone could shut it off? Or was it dropped in a garage while turned off. Be aware insuring a salvage bike can be an issue. Some insurers will not insure them Also trying to sell a salvage bike really limits your audience unless you price it really right.

A 2004 DL1000 with a good title and lots of farkles would struggle to bring $3,300 or even $2,800. One with a rebuilt/reconstructed/salvage title if cosmetically excellent for me would be in the $1,200/$1,500 range. Or one step pup from parts bike price

The seller can ask what they want but the title status really effects value for a bike that does not have a lot of value to begin with.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
As for finding a used Strom. Shipping coast to coast is about $600 so you can really open up you search area. There are plenty of folks on here who can be remote eye's and ear's for you. All you need to do is ask.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Did you find those in local craigslist etc? I'm using KSL classified in utah which is the biggest buy, sell, trade place out here. Got any info on where I could find a good used Strom?
Yep found mine on the regional Craigs List.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Its not so uncommon to total a bike from a easy drop. The Ducati 848/1098 series bikes had the pillion pegs mounted to the mainframe. If you dropped the bike right it would bent the pegs and frame. If you went to an insurance company and the frame was bent more often than not they'll total the bike. V-Rods are the same if you lean the bike the rigid mount pegs would catch and bend.

So with that any salvage title bike is worth 50% or less than average retail. Because no one really know what happened to the bike. Was it dropped on t side and ran for 3 minutes starved for oil? Also be aware insuring a salvage bike can be an issue. Some insurers will not do it. Also trying to sell a salvage bike really limits your audience unless you price it really right.

A 2004 DL1000 with a good title and lots of farkles would struggle to bring $3,300 or even $2,800. One with a rebuilt/reconstructed/salvage title if cosmetically excellent for me would be in the $1,200/$1,500 range. Or one step pup from arts bike price

The seller can ask what they want but the title status really effects value for a bike that does not have a lot of value to begin with.
That makes sense. Good catch on the age. For some reason, I read it as “2014” and not “2004.”

·
Registered
15,074 Posts
i hate to admit the 05 Wee i got salvage with bent forks and 34000 miles for a bit less than what the new fork tubes cost me.. Seller just didn't want to mess with it. i really didn't need it but WTF.
I got a BMW salvage for $1200. Most folks don't want to bother with the salvage bikes and reselling them is a PITA. Unless you accept that buyers aren't going to offer much.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I wouldn't think the mileage is too high. any title that is not original title will be harder to sell later on and won't sell for as much money, just be aware of that.

Cheers

RLBranson

·
Registered
342 Posts
In Michigan a salvage title cannot be registered for road use. It must be inspected by the state and the salvage title converted to rebuilt.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have bought several “salvage title vehicles”.
My attitude is 50% of value. You will find that when you do sell, that buyers are few and far between.

Kelly Blue Book ; 2004 1000 is worth $3,300.00 and that is with a Clean title.
Offer a lot less, and if he says no, keep shopping, you’ll find something Worth the price.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You probably aren't excited by the answers you've been getting but they're correct. $3000 is too much for salvage title. There are lots of vstroms for sale. I bought my 2003 1000 for $2300 late last year, clean title <45k miles. Including a Corbin seat. I would consider 2004 worth more because of the fairing change but not $700.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
I have bought several “salvage title vehicles”.
My attitude is 50% of value. You will find that when you do sell, that buyers are few and far between.

Kelly Blue Book ; 2004 1000 is worth $3,300.00 and that is with a Clean title.
Offer a lot less, and if he says no, keep shopping, you’ll find something Worth the price.
KBB seems high. I bought my 04 last year for $2200 and that is the price range that they are typically in around here.

·
Registered
295 Posts
oldjeep:

I agree it does seam high, even for a clean title, but I live in California and EVERYTHING cost more out here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts