StromTrooper banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please share your experiences rebuilding the DL1000 Shock. Who rebuilt your shock? Which spring did you use? Which valving? How much did you spend? What mistakes did you make and what lessons did you learn?

I have a good used DL1000 Shock and it will be rebuilt for my DL650-ABS Wee Strom. I am not interested in other options than rebuilding the DL1000 shock. That much of what I am doing is a done deal.

I can go with Sasquach (here and here) for a full rebuild for $450. I am sure that would be a good deal for me. Or I can work with a local mechanic I like who works on my bikes and does sportbike and racebike suspension. In that case I would be more involved in decisions about springs, valving, price.

I am leaning toward Sasquach for now.

Specifics for my bike:
- 100% street riding on Sporty Tires - 0% off-asphalt riding
- Goal is the best compromise for both Solo and 2 up (Rider 180#, passenger 160#, w/o riding gear, cargo)
- Bike has Sonic 2.0 springs in the front forks - no other suspension mods
- Bike's ABS Module makes for a tighter fitting shock than non-ABS DL's

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I just got mine back from Sasquatch, have yet to put it on (the weather has been GREAT here so I keep riding...where the hell is winter???).

Actually I still have the original shock on my bike, and sent him a used one I picked up off this board a few years ago so he could rebuild it while I could continue to ride, swapping it out when I have the bike down for maintenance (valve check, etc).

The price was very reasonable and he tuned it to the projected weight of me and my typical trip cargo (heavier spring). Also, as you know, the work he does allows him to easily rebuild at a future date when it gets worn out again, but for only around $100.

I thought it was a great deal, so I went this route.

I'm sure others will contribute their experiences soon.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got mine back from Sasquatch, have yet to put it on (the weather has been GREAT here so I keep riding...where the hell is winter???).

Actually I still have the original shock on my bike, and sent him a used one I picked up off this board a few years ago so he could rebuild it while I could continue to ride, swapping it out when I have the bike down for maintenance (valve check, etc).

The price was very reasonable and he tuned it to the projected weight of me and my typical trip cargo (heavier spring). Also, as you know, the work he does allows him to easily rebuild at a future date when it gets worn out again, but for only around $100.

I thought it was a great deal, so I went this route.

I'm sure others will contribute their experiences soon.
Don, what did Jay do for your specific bike? What spring? Valving? What were you looking for the shock to do for you? Dirt? 2-up?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Cory, I wish I could give you those specifics, but the only paper that came back with the rebuild states, "V strom Stage II shock rebuild w/spring".

I believe the internal valving is stock. The spring is new; it must be POWERFUL, because it's painted RED :green_lol:

Before I sent it in, Jay had me complete a worksheet that asks for riding style, road/off-road ratio, 2-up (y/n), and rider's weight. I indicated that I have controlled and not-too-aggressive riding style, 95/5 road, never 2-up, gave my weight and estimate of cargo for a typical 1-week trip (say 550 lbs total).

With that info, he mod'd the shock. I have yet to try it out, as mentioned.

But Jay knows these bikes, he knows suspensions, and he's a great guy to work with, so I have the utmost confidence in his product.

And I have to admit: I'm a numb-butt when it comes to suspensions; I wouldn't know a good setup from bad. I just twist the throttle and smile.

Just by you going to a DL1000 shock is an improvement, and by talking to Jay and letting him know what you're after, I can guarantee he will deliver.

Good luck, and let me know how you make out! -Don

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have a Sasquatch full rebuild on an OEM shock on my '09 Wee. I run pretty heavily loaded on my trips, so a stronger spring had to be used.

I also followed Jay's recommendations on the front forks -- GT Emulators, stronger springs, ATF fluid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts