StromTrooper banner

161 - 172 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Werks basket will happen when I have the funds for it; will probably have to be a 2 step process: buy a used basket, live with it for a while, then send it in when I can afford it and can live with the downtime. I have a Custom Rewind stator sitting in a box, awaiting install!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
348 Posts
re: the holes in the airbox: I have searched and cannot find any references (even very old) as to why somebody would choose to do that to the airbox of this particular bike. Seems to me like they would negate the benefits of ram air and a high flow filter; I imagine they would actually let pre-filter air out of the airbox, rather than letting more air in. So unless any of you can tell me why these holes are a "good idea", I'm just going to seal them up and experiment with different PCIII maps from this site once I get the bike running again.

Thoughts?
Holeshot performance advises that holes in air box helps performance. but that is Vee2 and never seen it done on Vee 1

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,465 Posts
Werks basket will happen when I have the funds for it; will probably have to be a 2 step process: buy a used basket, live with it for a while, then send it in when I can afford it and can live with the downtime. I have a Custom Rewind stator sitting in a box, awaiting install!

You're in good shape then.

It takes a while to develop clutch chudder, I believe. I'm at 50k on an OEM basket & still don't have it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
So, today I did another thing: I learned about motorcycle transmissions! :)

I didn't realize until after I put it together that I missed the steps in the manual that walk thru cleaning out all the oil injection nozzles and channels, so I'm going to have to yank all this out and do that cleaning step.

Ah, well; it'll take me 15 minutes to put this all back, so I'm not too worried about it. At least I learned something today!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
I only had a small window of time tonight, but knocked out pages 3-68 / 3-69: Oil jet cleaning.

This used case I bought is...dirty inside. The bearings all had dirt / crud in them, and these oil jets are dark and foreboding. I think the donor bike it came from probably didn't have it's oil changed very often, or something. Something different than mine, anyway; my previous owner ran semi-synth and so do I, and all my bearings are smooth as butter, and my oil jets are shiny and new looking. So I pulled the jets from my original case and put them in this used case instead of using the originals. The one on the left came out of my bike; on the right is the used bike. Makes me even more confident to use my left case and not the used one!

Tomorrow night (or maybe Thursday) I'll tackle my original right hand case. Need to de-grease it (the outside), and then work pages 3-66 / 3-67: oil pump, oil pressure regulator, oil pressure switch. And then I think it'll be time to put the cases together!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
BTW, here's the video that helped me understand how to put my tranny together! Check it out; it's pretty cool!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Had a little time to do some cleaning today. Got the right-hand case de-gunked, and also part of swingarm (behind the motor). I'm super thankful for whomever it was that I saw on youtube this week that suggested super hot water and Dawn dishwashing detergent. I didn't have any Dawn, but I did have a half a bottle of some Dollar Tree citris degreaser. So I went and bought a parts washing brush from NAPA, put some super hot water in a small container, dumped some of the degreaser in it, and wow...the gunk just kinda came right off! Next up: pages 3-66 / 3-67.

This is where the oil filter goes; it was a gunky mess. Not any more!

Here's a "before" shot. If you can imagine it, I'm taking the picture from the front wheel, pointing toward the back of the bike. Looks super strange with the motor out! And...super gunky. I obviously had a leak somewhere around the rear cylinder, as the back of the motor was filthy too:

And afterwards! I'm about 3/4 of the way done cleaning this area; will finish up maybe tomorrow.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
If u were to look around my garage, my tools, my desk, my life, you'd know that "keeping stuff clean and organized" is not something I care much about! :) Honestly, I'm only cleaning these bike parts enough that gunk doesn't fall into the engine, and so I don't get junk on my sleeves when I brush up against it. :)

Because I know I'm gonna be following @Karlos around on epic adventures involving mud and dirt once this bike is back together, and it's gonna be rode hard and put away wet, so...it'll be dirty again soon. :)

But I must admit...it'll also be nice to start off clean!

161 - 172 of 172 Posts