StromTrooper banner

221 - 233 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Well, there goes another $54 and 3 hrs of my time for nothing. Replaced the oil seals and the o-ring and went for a ride. Came back home, and yep...it still leaks.

Got the little black-light out and tried to find what I could have missed, so looked farther up the motor and found what seems to be the source (but I've thought that before). This is looking at the bike from the sprocket side. So, above the front sprocket, one of the nuts holding the head onto the barrel. That isn't a gasket or an o-ring; it's oil with dye in it, highlighted by the black light.

I'm finding it impossible to get a 10mm wrench in there to tighten it up. And, 10mm is slightly too big, so by the time it actually "bites", it's moved too far to have any room left to tighten/loosen the nut.

Is there some really absorbent material that's also fireproof that I can shove in there on top of the motor so I can ride it around and see if it's leaking from somewhere else? The problem is that it's right in front of the rear exhaust header, so I'm envisioning a gust of wind moving that oil-soaked material backwards, and it catching on fire.

Otherwise, I'm either going to have to find some sort of miracle wrench, or drop this motor simply to see if I can tighten that nut. sigh

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
Got any Permatex Ultra Black RTV? If you can get the area clean enough, a dab of that stuff could perhaps seal the leak temporarily. Long enough to verify it as the actual source of the leak.

I'll look at my own engine and see if I have any other ideas.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Got any Permatex Ultra Black RTV? If you can get the area clean enough, a dab of that stuff could perhaps seal the leak temporarily. Long enough to verify it as the actual source of the leak.

I'll look at my own engine and see if I have any other ideas.
Me too - RTV. If I can get near mine today, I'll have a look, too. WildDoktor, I don't think the oil will ignite on the header pipe and even in the off chance that it did, there wouldn't be enough to fuel the fire long enough to ignite anything else flammable.

Frustrating, I know.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm pretty sure this is his replacement engine :cool:
Yeah, I know. Just found it ironic that he found the same roadblock on the replacement engine.

BTW, WildDoktor, what are your plans for the original engine? That must be almost factory new at this stage. I can't remember exactly where you stopped work on it.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
I took a look at my DL1000. Whatever that is that's leaking must be covered by the same big plastic piece that covers the front sprocket area. Mine is still installed. So the RTV idea is all I've got at this point.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have had good results by cleaning the suspect area with brake cleaner and then applying spray foot powder to the area. I looked at my bike today and the nut you show in the pic is moist with oil. I have the rear wheel off and the shock removed. I can see that oil has come from higher up and collected along the cyl head. I would remove the seat, raise the tank and clean from the cam cover down. Apply the powder and run the motor while on the center stand. Looking for the leak while the bike sits static will avoid the air currents that spread leaks while riding.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
WildDoktor, I don't think the oil will ignite on the header pipe and even in the off chance that it did, there wouldn't be enough to fuel the fire long enough to ignite anything else flammable.
Oh, good point! I forgot that the exhaust under the motor has oil all over it and it's never ignited. Good call. :)

BTW, WildDoktor, what are your plans for the original engine?
Selling it all! The heads are already gone, and somebody here is asking about the crank, rods, and pistons. I really need to get it all listed on ebay and offer a slight discount for folks here, but...other stuff keeps derailing that plan!

Whatever that is that's leaking must be covered by the same big plastic piece that covers the front sprocket area. Mine is still installed. So the RTV idea is all I've got at this point.
That nut is up above the sprocket area...you almost have to lay on your back and look up past the sprocket area to see it.

I have had good results by cleaning the suspect area with brake cleaner and then applying spray foot powder to the area. I looked at my bike today and the nut you show in the pic is moist with oil. I have the rear wheel off and the shock removed. I can see that oil has come from higher up and collected along the cyl head. I would remove the seat, raise the tank and clean from the cam cover down. Apply the powder and run the motor while on the center stand. Looking for the leak while the bike sits static will avoid the air currents that spread leaks while riding.
I have dye in the oil; so I can see the oil by shining a black light on the motor. I can't see any oil above that nut, but it is really hard to see the bottom of the valve cover without removing more stuff (I have the seat off and the tank raised a couple inches, but need to take off more plastic to really get the tank out of the way). I did slightly loosen and then re-tighten the 4 valve cover screws, thinking maybe I'd over- or under-tightened them after checking valve clearances (before I installed the motor). If anything, they were too tight; so maybe that'll help.

Here's something I may have failed to mention: the bike only leaks if I take it out on the freeway. I ran it around town for 30 minutes, then stopped at a friend's house and left it running; zero leaks. It sat there for almost 10 minutes running, and zero leaks. I went from there to the freeway (a mile away) and ran it up and back a mile or two. Pulled up in my garage (1/4 mile off the freeway), and it's leaking.

Got a deal to go to tonight and won't be able to work on it again for a few days, so I thank you all for your input! I sure can't wait to "just ride"!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
Well, we lost the last 7 days of posts. This site has more issues and unscheduled maintenance outages than every other forum I visit combined!!

So, I'll re-post for historical purposes (unless this gets deleted, too...).

I am marking Sunday, March 22, 2020 as the day that my bike was officially placed back into service. :)

March 21, I'd almost given up. After countless hours (and too many $$), I still hadn't been able to find the leak. So I had myself a little pity party (nobody showed up...even more depressing!), had a little talk with Jesus, then decided that "it's Saturday, and I have nothing else pressing to do (and the whole state is on lock-down anyway), so I might as well give it one more try."

I took up the now familiar and uncomfortable position on the cement garage floor and was "prompted" to remove the left cover (again). I did so, and it seems that the last 3 times I had that cover off I had put the rubber grommet (that holds the stator wires) in the wrong place! Rather than "straddling" the little U-shaped cutout, I'd been putting it "outboard" of the cutout; in the empty hole. How'd I miss that? Well, I put it in the correct spot, re-used the cheaper green cover gasket, and put it back together. I then cleaned up the oil as best as I could, added the bit that I'd lost, and went for a ride.

Got half-way home, and ran out of gas. :-/ My wife came and rescued me. :)

But while sitting on the side of the road waiting for her, Glory-Be; I noticed that there was no oil leaking above the clutch pushrod seal!!

But, there was still some freshly leaked oil under the motor.

So after getting back to my garage, I checked the drain plug. I had gotten clever and added an o-ring that I had laying around to the drain plug, figuring I could maybe prevent myself from stripping out the bolt by not over-tightening it. Well, it turns out the o-ring had shredded when I tightened the drain plug, and oil was leaking out. Duh! So I removed the rest of the o-ring and cinched down the drain plug. Cleaned up all the leaked oil and went for a ride.

Glory-Be, there was no oil leaking from the drain plug!

But, there seemed to be a tiny bit coming from the left cover, and from the shift-shaft housing. I gently tried to tighten the left cover bolts (star pattern), and they turned about 1/8 of a turn. Did the same with the shift shaft cover, but those turned almost 1/2 a turn each!

So I cleaned up the leaked oil and checked the oil level, and went for a ride.

Astonishingly, when I rolled back up into my garage, I had ZERO LEAKS!! So I turned back around and went for a longer ride (about an hour); rolled back up into my garage, and...Glory-Be...NO LEAKS!!

So I texted @Karlos with the good news and asked if he'd go ride with me the next day. He was stoked for me, but he decided that robbing his neighbor blind was more fun than riding with me, so I texted another friend...the guy I rode with a couple months ago who owns a Hardley something-something and a BMW FG700GS. He was ready for a ride, so we planned one for Sunday.

I rolled out at 9:45am (55 degrees F), and rolled back into my garage at 3:15pm (70F). 5.5hrs in absolutely gorgeous weather. 5 of those on the bike; .5 of those hiking down to a waterfall and back up. Roughly 120 miles total; 50-60 of those miles on the dirt. Several tiny water crossings, a few mud puddles, some super rough washboard sections, a couple inches of air a couple different times over waterbars. And no matter how many times I checked (probably 10 times at least!), NO LEAKS!!

One additional unfortunate thing about not riding for 2 years, 2 months, and about 2 weeks is that I forgot that I needed to charge my helmet camera, so I got zero footage of the event. And because my phone is now 2 years older, that battery died too, so no pictures!

But...that doesn't even matter. I can't express how relieved I am to finally have my bike back. It's almost surreal to see it sitting in my garage, fully ride-ready, flithy from an actual RIDE!! It's actually weird to look at it an know that it's complete; that I don't have to go out there and sit on that cold, hard floor and puzzle things out before I can ride it. I can simply throw my gear on, throw my leg over it, and GO RIDE!!

Crazy. :)

So, I think that's it! Thank you all for humoring me thru this crazy last 2 years; I hope to now start posting in the "ride reports" section, and start posting "Lunchtime Shenanigans" videos to my youtube channel again!! :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
Yeah; turned out to be leaking from 4 different places!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
well, well. glad to see you've finally got it back on the road.
And using your shock, for which I again thank you! :)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

221 - 233 of 233 Posts