StromTrooper banner

181 - 200 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
35" inseam. Sargent seat, not stock. I could flat-foot it while on the centerstand, with bent knees, before these links. :) Should be much better now! Plus, I have the peg lowering / gearshift relocation kit to install.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Lots of distractions this weekend, including having to take care of some broken stuff at work most of the day Saturday, but...I got all the motor bolts torqued last night, and got that pesky rear exhaust header pipe installed and tightened.

A while back I bought a lightly used sw-motech skid plate from a trooper here. Since then I've read a few times about how insane it is to get the two kickstand bolts out. So before I put the motor in, I decided I'd attempt to remove those bolts. Might as well; lots of elbow room with no motor in! The came out fairly easily, so I figured I'd be clever and go ahead and mount the bracket while the gettin' was easy.

Then last night, after getting the rear exhaust header pipe installed, I went to install the exhaust "collector"...and...yep...that skid plate bracket is right in the way. :) So, it's going to now have to come off the bike, with the motor in. Ah, well! (I also discovered that I need to buy the two bolts that originally came with the skid plate. They're 2mm longer, and they need to be.)

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,935 Posts
Sounds like the butt-pain I dealt with a couple years ago, when the huge bolts holding the side stand had backed out.

They've stayed put since, but I check them whenever I had the skid plate off (oil changes and such).

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Got the exhaust all bolted up, the oil cooler installed, and the throttle bodies installed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
16,811 Posts
You're in good shape then.

It takes a while to develop clutch chudder, I believe. I'm at 50k on an OEM basket & still don't have it.
I had it on both of my 1000's from practically the beginning, awful fueling made it even worse. Even if you don't believe you have it badly, the difference a WERKS basket makes all around for ride-ability and smoothness is pretty apparent.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,935 Posts
I could be imagining but at just past 51k I THINK I am starting to have some classic chudder symptoms.

I definitely have a lot of noise with the clutch out at idle, which as you mentioned in another thread suggests clutch plate wear.

I'll likely do the Werks fix next winter. I spent way too much time wrenching vs. riding last year and earlier this year.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #187 (Edited)
Last night my goal was to install the radiator and the air box, and get all those electrical connections figured out and tidied up.

As I was looking at the airbox, I decided that yes, I do want to go ahead and remove the P.A.I.R system. So I aborted my current mission, and went to the auto parts store to get some vacuum caps. Got home and installed those caps, then it was time to go pick up my daughter. So I threw a five gallon gas can in the car and filled it up on the way home. That lovely gas that's been in my gas tank for the last 2 years probably needs to go. :)

So I didn't get as far as I wanted, but I'm all set up for a quick turnaround tonight. Hopefully! If all goes well, I'm actually hoping to load fluids and start the motor tonight! It's getting exciting...

(BTW, no need for a lecture about the pair system. :) I've researched probably every post known to man about this and I have made my decision based on everything I've read. The way I'm doing it is completely reversible if I don't like it. Removing that system was the way to go on my last bike, a Blackbird, so I understand it completely. Don't need somebody to link a video about the pros and cons of going to The Darkside ...!)
20200219_221004.jpg
20200219_220946.jpg

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Well, after 25 months of downtime, tonight's the night! Tonight we attempt a test fire!

All the necessary bits and pieces have been bolted in place. Liquid oil and antifreeze have been loaded. Liquid igniter is on board. And now, the countdown has begun!

Will she fire? Will she explode? Will we need to abort the countdown and try again another night? So many questions...let's see what happens!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Awesome! I was looking underneath for any sign of a puddle and - NONE! Awesome. Congratulations.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just curious, did you find/look for a port to plug in an oil pressure gauge and check what you’re getting? I doubt it matters, I’ve just wondered before what kind of pressure these engines run.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
My question is how many volts are you getting? Good job man.
14.6 @ idle!

14.1 @ 5000 rpm.

???

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Ok, here we go!!

I spent all day yesterday working to get the bike ready for a shakedown ride, aiming for this morning.
  • Rear brake: I cleaned it up and installed the new hose...replacing the hose that melted on the exhaust pipe and caught the bike on fire, oh so many years ago. :) The heat shield also burned up and crumbled back then, and somehow I've forgotten to order a new one. So I fashioned one out of an old electrical outlet box (I figure those are supposed to be fire resistant, right?). Got that done and the hose routed well enough that it won't get near the exhaust pipe, and then bolted up the rear brake cyl and res, filled and bled the back brake. Done!
  • Front brakes: torqued all bolts to spec, then attached the front fender (wow...what a pain that thing is!!), the fork brace, and all the hoses. Then I filled and bled the system with my daughter's help, and immediately regretted not buying SS brake lines, CBR brakes, and the brake relocation kit! Man...these stock brakes are terrible. But...Done!
  • Installed and adjusted Adventuretech's peg lowering kit, with the gearshift extender. Done!
  • Installed the new front sprocket.
  • Installed the new chain, pressed the master link on, and adjusted the chain...then torqued the front sprocket bolt. Done!
  • Topped up the oil and antifreeze. Done!
  • Cleaned up under the seat a bit, and installed the seat. Done!
  • Sat on her and started her up, clicking thru a few gears and seeing how the peg kit feels. Done!
  • I left the windshield, the crash bars, the bash plate, and the rear rack off the bike; I want to ride it like that and see if there's a difference in "buzziness" when I put the crash bars back on.
So that was yesterday.

This morning, I procrastinated a bit, trying to work up my nerve to go ride it. :) I mean, after all, I'm the one who put it all together, and I don't trust my abilities very much! But I finally got geared up, and..

I rode it!

I was going to just ride it around the neighborhood and make sure nothing fell off, or leaked. I noticed immediately that the suspension/steering was really weird, but I kept riding, and came in after 15 glorious minutes!

No leaks, no issues; I was stoked! So I went and had some lunch, then Joe texted me and asked if he could come check out my progress. Of course! So as I was waiting for him, I did some more clean up under the seat. I have an air compressor under there that I've never even taken out to look at, so I took it out. It's a decent little thing, so I decided to see how well it works. I plugged it in and checked the air pressure in the front tire, and almost fell over: 9psi!! I immediately checked the back tire, and it was 13psi! Sheesh; no wonder my first ride felt so weird!! Well, I used the little compressor to air up both tires, and it worked just fine. I put my gear on, and Joe showed up...so we went for a ride!!

I went a little farther this time; we stayed out about 20 minutes and I got to do slow stuff, freeway, and a few brief twisties. Man, what a difference PSI makes! My bike now handles as it should. I'll have to mess with the preload a bit, I think, but I'll wait until I get all the "stuff" bolted back on. Front brakes are, just, meh; can't wait to get those replaced. The motor is strong, and the fueling seems to be really good. No decel popping at all, and as far as I can tell, the "jerky" throttle off idle is gone as well. I'm really liking the peg lowering kit, and the shifter extender is sweet! With the rear wheel mod, I can definitely feel a big difference in shifting. Awesome!

Sweet!

So we pulled up back at home and stood around chatting, until Joe said "Hmmm...is that a leak?"

sigh

Yep; something from the sprocket cover area is leaking. Drat! Now instead of putting plastic on and riding it to work tomorrow, I'll instead be chasing / fixing a leak.

Oh, well...nothing to really complain about. My bike has been raised from the dead, and pretty soon I'll be out having fun on it again, and posting videos of me and @Karlos and our Lunchtime Shenanigans. :) And eventually, some longer trips.

Thanks for following me along on this crazy 25 month process; the finish line is in sight!!

181 - 200 of 234 Posts