StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'm back in the boat of trying to decide if i want to do the pea shooter mod on my wee...some of the video clips it sounds pretty decent in, others not so much...so for those that have done it i have a couple of questions?

what does it sound like at freeway speeds? i'm a commuter on my wee, and if it's going to buzz or do any bad annoying noises then i will probably avoid it.

is it possible to re-attach the pea shooter via welding or something else if i take it off and decide i don't like it? i don't see why not, but maybe this is a question for someone that may have removed the pea shooter then put it back on?

are there other reasons not to do this? I've read through the threads here, but am still undecided...

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I did it and absolutely could not tell the difference while I was riding. I ride with a helmet. At idle it wasn't really lounder, just less un-rumbly.

V-Strom riders behind me have noticed the sound and expressed generally favorable opinions of the slightly increased low-frequency burble.

I removed it by using a metal-cutting Dremel blade that was small enough in diameter to cut from inside the pea-shooter. This eliminated the need to remove the end cap.

Replacement of the pea shooter would be a much more invasive procedure.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I also used a Dremel to cut mine off but I left a centimeter remaining so that if I wanted to return to stock I could. As for sound it is fine on the Hwy but sounds a little more throaty at lower speeds

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I didn't like the sound of a strom I bought with the pea shooter-ectomy. I hammered a 1" copper pipe coupling onto the stub bringing it close to original and liked that sound better.

·
Registered
107 Posts
For me, it wasn't enough. I replaced my exhaust with used Scorpion system from fellow member. Now my stock exhaust is less desirable because I cut it up a little bit. Do you want it to sound so so or awesome?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For me, it wasn't enough. I replaced my exhaust with used Scorpion system from fellow member. Now my stock exhaust is less desirable because I cut it up a little bit. Do you want it to sound so so or awesome?
Well I would love for it to sound awesome.... But! I cannot justify the cost of an exhaust right now when there are so many other farkles that need to be purchased. So sounding so so is okay with me.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning a lot more towards the mod now. My main concern was the noise at freeway speed, but it sounds like its not noticeable.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think the key to sounding decent is to not cut off the inner tube (peashooter) all the way back to main muffler body. Only cut 2/3 of it or less.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Opinions are mixed but descriptions may include words like "blat" and "fart". That's a very expensive part you are considering altering. If it matters, it's also illegal to modify a muffler to alter the sound in most, possibly all, states. If you ever want to sell the bike, it may be a problem.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
My main concern was the noise at freeway speed, but it sounds like its not noticeable.
Which begs the question: "Why bother?"

I have no soul-crushing remorse for my pea-shooterectomy, but it's really a pretty pointless excersize in moto-modification.

GW: It would be delightfully ironic to have a V-Strom owner hassled over a pea-shooterectomy, whilst the world abounds with open-piped cruisers.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
GW: It would be delightfully ironic to have a V-Strom owner hassled over a pea-shooterectomy, whilst the world abounds with open-piped cruisers.
That's why I said, "if it matters". There may be a time when more states go to licensing inspections. While other riders are putting the stock pipes on for inspection, pea shooter cutters are out shopping for copper pipe.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Which begs the question: "Why bother?"

I have no soul-crushing remorse for my pea-shooterectomy, but it's really a pretty pointless excersize in moto-modification.

well i want the thumper noise and lower rpm noise as i go through town...and by freeway noise, i meant that i don't want any farting or wheezing or buzzing noises that would be annoying...i don't mind listening to exhaust on the freeway...heck my previous bike was an XL1200N that had Hooker Pipes on it, and that thing was loud enough that I had to have ear plugs in the whole time!!:jawdrop: (i was younger at the time and that all i really wanted was a loud harley)

anyways, there is also some concern with what GW brought up, but i also don't plan selling the bike anytime soon either...

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
If you decide to do it, you should try packing copper wool around the inside, between the pea-shooter and the hole it sits in. It improved the sound.

If you want to undo it, it's very easy. A standard copper pipe union will fit right over the nub end. I cut one in half and did both sides. Just bonk the copper piece on with a mallet; it will fit tight and return the sound to stock.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Actually, from what I can recall, I think mine sounded a lot like the bike in the video.

I left about 25% of my peashooter in place.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oops, I failed to read your sig line.

All I can do is pray for you.
well the bike is sold now anyways...and i'm way way way more happy on my wee then i ever was on the HD....

that guy is awesome!

Actually, from what I can recall, I think mine sounded a lot like the bike in the video.

I left about 25% of my peashooter in place.
seems that if you do leave some of it on it helps the sound a bit...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you decide to do it, you should try packing copper wool around the inside, between the pea-shooter and the hole it sits in. It improved the sound.

If you want to undo it, it's very easy. A standard copper pipe union will fit right over the nub end. I cut one in half and did both sides. Just bonk the copper piece on with a mallet; it will fit tight and return the sound to stock.
that's good to hear...

well i'm still leaning on doing the mod now...and once i get the wee back together again i will probably go for this mod...

so the inside of the muffler cap is packed with the copper wool? i could see where that would help baffle it a little bit and clean up the noise

1 - 20 of 26 Posts