StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Reasons for going from 1000 to 650 or vice versa ?

Hi !
Need some input from owners that have changed from 1000 to 650 or vice versa.

Most of the comments regarding this comes from people who "defend" their own choice but havent owned both. Soo, is there anyone out there who has owned and driven both for a long time, not just swapped bike with a friend for some miles. I sure would like your impressions off both bikes, regarding power and handling. I'm afraid the 1000 will be a bit bulky.

I plan to do some long trips this summer, but the roads will be twisty as I'm planning to go to Norway. 1 up. Not many parts above 80 mph, mostly around 50 mph.

·
Administrator
17,100 Posts
They are both plenty powerful, plenty fast and plenty fun. Get the one that talks to you the most....I have nothing more to add. Oh and by the way...I have also ridden a 650 more than once, they are great bikes. I just prefer a bigger engine and a slightly heavier/stable bike.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Riding the 650 will prevent all your neighbors and friends from pointing and laughing as you ride by.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I ride a 6Fiddy but have had more than a few opportunities to ride stock & modded litre bikes. . . .(Not to mention one without a clutch lever that had been highsided) :eek:

Weight diff was noticeable in 60 mph and under turns (as was the torque difference). 90+mph roll ons were dramatically different (you don't need to downshift). . .just crack the throttle and zoomzoomzoom.

Personally I wouldn't move up unless I was gonna do long 2 up trips (which I'm not) or unless Suzuki comes up with a DL850 ABS that weighs in around 415 (lbs) or less. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I had a XRV750(Africa twin) -96 once, I thought it was really nice as long as you stayed off the highway, another +15 hp would have made it perfect. So who's closest the 650 or 1000, more power and less weight seems to be the right choice.

Does anyone have any experience off the Leo vince full system, I might be able to get one off those in a deal for a 650.
I'm not after the power just the sound.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dl 650 2005

I rode a BMW R1150RS for much of my riding last year, and rode it to the shop to pick up my 2005 DL650.

In quick turn-around comparison I was very pleased with the power and handling. It has a Scorpion muffler so I get sound too!:rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts