StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of us will take a little jaunt from time to time without all our gear on. This 20 second video is a quick reminder to find some comfortable gear and wear it.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ya that looked allot like there was a higher power involved in that ride. It's one thing to get wiped out by a loose wheel, not getting run over after the fact, definitely never ride without ATGALT.

·
Premium Member
2,760 Posts
Thank goodness he was geared up.

However, that rider had lots of time to make a decision but put himself between two vehicles and didn't leave much of an escape route (and didn't even try to take advantage of what room there was). I never ride in that middle lane if I can avoid it. Gimme the shoulder as an option. Certainly if you are between two other lanes, make sure you're not pacing traffic and keep an escape route open for when the truck decides to change lanes into you or the punk in the green car on your left receives an exciting text message. The wheel was bad luck, but the other menaces in that scene are entirely predictable and, if you're planning for them, the wheel is surprising, but no biggie and you don't need new gear. (New undies, maybe). Simple lane change to the left if you're not keeping pace with that green car. If he was already in the left lane, he might never have noticed the wheel at all.

Sorry, that's the instructor in me talking. I always preach habits, habits, habits for moments just like this. Good habits won't save you all the time, but they will more of the time than bad habits. Same with ATGATT. (Though I have been known ride to the local store and back in shorts and T-shirt when it's killer hot and I'm thirsty.)

That's an educational video for sure. Thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
5,399 Posts
All The Gear That's Appropriate. ☕

·
Registered
502 Posts
As I recall, and if it's the same video, that guy ended up with a broken leg. A stray tire can carry a lot of energy. No guarantees you're safe in a car even.

But you should still wear all the gear all the time.Gives you a fighting chance.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I had a accident last November, Put on new tire and brake pads in anticipation of a ride with friend the next day. I was going to do a 3 mile loop I've done 1000 times as a quick shakedown run. Normally if I was working in the garage I'd have on shorts/jeans, sneakers and t-shirt. Fortunately is was a bit cooler out so I had on jeans, boots and threw on my riding jacket as well as helmet and gloves. PA does not require helmets and there are times when I run to the gas station up the road or test ride a bike w/o a helmet so I can listen for odd sounds.

Other than riding pants I was geared up. 7/10th of a mile into the shakedown run I low-sided the bike slid down the road hit the grassy berm and then rolled a few time until I came to rest against the bike that was now resting upside down.

The eyelet and show strings on my left boot were ground off. Left forearm of my jacket had several spots where it wore through. Left knee of my jeans had holes in them (small strawberry on below my kneecap) and the lense was popped out of my helmet and my ass crack filled with dirt, stones and grass from slide.

I did break the talus in my right foot that required some reassembly but I lived to tell the tale. I'm fairly confident that if I wasn't wear gear this would not have been a life ender but I can assure you the damage would have been a lot worse. Arms, angles, and other skin covered areas would have been ground down to the bone.

Gear is easy in the winter as we use it to keep warm. Its once the mercury starts to rise we need to remember the discomfort of a little sweat is far better than skin grafts or worse.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That is a scary video.

I had a wreck in June, 2018. Pilot error related and resulted in a totaled 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS.

I was ATGATT. Helmet, armored jacket, pants, boots, gloves. All my gear had some damage, mostly minimal to my helmet, jacket, gloves and boots. I still wear the jacket and boots, helmet was replaced immediately.

My First Gear mesh pants took the worst damage. A couple months before the trip I'd upgraded the knee armor (OEM was just foam pads) with hard armor. Good thing. I will wear jeans around town, but I wear Dainese knee guards when I do. Makes me look like a baseball catcher, but my knees are covered.

Pants after event:

Reactions: Solarguy

·
Super Moderator
4,636 Posts
As I recall, and if it's the same video, that guy ended up with a broken leg. A stray tire can carry a lot of energy. No guarantees you're safe in a car even.
Exactly. Here's a friend's Range Rover after being hit by a stray wheel on the Motorway. He would have been doing the 110km/h speed limit. Luckily the wheel went between him and his wife.

·
Registered
591 Posts
My neck skin and cheeks start flapping without a helmet. Nobody wants to see that, so I ALWAYS wear my full-face helmet. 🤪

1 - 14 of 14 Posts