StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason my ABS red light lit up, been on all day when I'm riding. Figured I'd throw a bone out for some answers. :headbang:

·
Registered
118 Posts
The manual says "Warning" Riding the motorcycle with the ABS Indicator light on can be hazardous. It goes on to say that brakes will work normally, but ABS is not functioning, then goes on to say you should have the system checked by an authorized Suzuki dealer as soon as possible. Good luck~!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
If the light doesn't go off at about 3mph, the ABS unit is malfunctioning and you have normal brakes, not ABS. You didn't by any chance pull a fuse to turn it off and forget to put it back did you?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure what the problem is, I had a problem with the starter switch which I replaced and also took out the battery a few times........had my bike in a parking lot for 2 weeks waiting for a part....hehe! Other than that I washed my bike yesterday. Maybe its some type of sensor problem. I have no idea. I've never even changed the oil in a car b4..........tried learning but all my dad did was yell at me and call me stupid in so many other words.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Along the line of what Greywolf was saying, check the fuse. I put an on/off switch downstream of the fuse to make my ABS switchable. While there are a number of things that will cause the ABS light to illuminate, the power source would be a good place to start.
-Kevin

·
Registered
211 Posts
My ABS light is yellow and my oil light is red. Maybe the older models had a red ABS light or you are dealing with something more serious. :thumbdown:

·
38,104 Posts
The ABS lights did change color. There is no color associated meaning, just whether the light is on or off. Somebody probably decided after a couple of years a warning color rather than a stop color was more appropriate.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I had trouble with my light staying on. Turned out that when I changed the rear tire and reinstalled the sensor, I got interrupted and didn't torque the bolt that holds it. It fell out 30 miles later.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
If it is red are you sure it is not the charge light?

My ABS light is amber.

[I know Pat said they did change color depending on the year model but I just thought I'd throw up the question].

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I had trouble with my light staying on. Turned out that when I changed the rear tire and reinstalled the sensor, I got interrupted and didn't torque the bolt that holds it. It fell out 30 miles later.
I had a similar experience. The bolt didn't fall out before I discovered it, but was loose enough to cause the light to stay on. Check the sensors first, easy stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
If it is red are you sure it is not the charge light?

My ABS light is amber.
My K8 ABS is red - but location of ABS light below the needle pointer within the speedo - one cant get confused with all the lights which are between speedo and tacho, right?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the light doesn't go off at about 3mph, the ABS unit is malfunctioning and you have normal brakes, not ABS. You didn't by any chance pull a fuse to turn it off and forget to put it back did you?

The light does go off after I take off or hit about 3mph but then lights up and stays lit up for good, until I repeat the process. ABS was fine until I washed my bike....hehe!

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
u should check the error code for ABS - check the factory manual for procedures - dont need special tool for that - basically u just jump the ABS diagnostic plug location within the side panels near the positive battery post and read the flashing ABS light to see what the code is.

·
38,104 Posts
See p13-89 in the service manual for the DTC code procedures. The jumper connects the orange and the black/white wires on the ABS diagnostic plug. You might want to try clearing the stored DTC codes in case there was just something temporary from getting wet.

The ABS light will be flashing the DTC codes when the jumper is in place. If no codes are stored, the flashing will be regular. If codes are stored, the flashing will be irregular. To clear the codes, start by removing the jumper. After 12.5 seconds DTC deletion mode begins.

In the DTC deletion mode, switch the ABS plug jumper from
disconnected to connected 3 times, each time leaving it connected for more than 1
second.

After deleting DTC with the jumper connected, the system resumes the self-diagnosis mode again and outputs the DTC.

If the flashing is now regular, ride the bike to see if things are working. If not, the DTC code needs to be read according to the manual to pinpoint the problem area.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also notice all my lights now flicker when in idle or low rpms and when I use the turning signals. I replaced a small piece in the right handle switch, had the brass piece melt into the plastic and solved that problem. Bike sat for about 2 weeks, maybe the alternator needs to be replaced. :headbang:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Went for a 5 hour ride today with some buds and my friggin gauges were cutting out, happened probably 30-40 times while I was riding. clock went 0000 and my red light went on when the heat meter went to the top bar, then every thing went back to normal. All 30-40 episodes lasted maybe 1 second each. wtf!!!!

·
38,104 Posts
The clock should either go to 1:00 or CHEC. A CHEC will turn on the red light and fill the right side bars. The usual reason for a CHEC is the kill switch or the sidestand switch. The latter is more often the problem and easy to check. Electrically connect the wires together that go the the sidestand switch and see if things calm down. Just don't ride with the stand down.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks GW, I will keep an eye on the stand, maybe it was my new boots...hehe! Man, now I'm leaking. I think its coming from my right shock area, up high.

·
38,104 Posts
Thanks GW, I will keep an eye on the stand, maybe it was my new boots...hehe! Man, now I'm leaking. I think its coming from my right shock area, up high.
Check the preload on the shock. If you can't crank it up to display five lines, the hydraulic system may be leaking fluid.

·
Registered
323 Posts
You may want to check out those Battery connections ,you mentioned haveing removed it several times ,maybe you did not tighten them properly ,this could be the cause of all the dash problems ...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts