StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.

I was reading some posts the other day about a new Reevu helmet that has a rearview mirror in it and it got me thinking. I doubt that I would buy or use the helmet due to the rearview mirror being so close to my eyes inside the helmet.

Has anyone mounted a small camera facing rearwards on their bike with a small screen of some kind mounted in the dash area?? This would presumably give you a constant feed that would/could give you a better and wider field of view than mirrors alone. Got to be a safer option I think.

Just a thought. Comments please???

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Has anyone mounted a small camera facing rearwards on their bike with a small screen of some kind mounted in the dash area?? This would presumably give you a constant feed that would/could give you a better and wider field of view than mirrors alone.
What problem are you trying to solve? You wouldn't want to rely on it (and the DOT wouldn't accept it as a substitute for mirrors anyway), so you'd still have to have mirrors.

And how much time do you spend looking behind you anyway? The vast majority of threats to motorcyclists come from the front and sides.

Sorry, I'm a practical guy; the gadget factor doesn't appeal to me. :)

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
And how much time do you spend looking behind you anyway? The vast majority of threats to motorcyclists come from the front and sides.

:)
I spend enough time looking behind me to prevent being surprised by what's beside me. Unless your the fastest thing on the road, you have to keep track of what's behind you. Not to mention keeping an eye peeled for LEO's riding your six.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I spend enough time looking behind me to prevent being surprised by what's beside me. Unless your the fastest thing on the road, you have to keep track of what's behind you. Not to mention keeping an eye peeled for LEO's riding your six.
Right. But good mirrors do all of that (cheaply), so none of that answers the question, "What problem are you trying to solve?"

I don't see the point of an expensive, high-resolution, wide-angle device dedicated to the rear view, which should occupy a small percentage of your attention.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts