StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new sound, I have not been able to isolate it.

When starting out I am hearing a thump or bump from the area of the rear tire. It sounds like the kickstand popping up into position, but both the side and center stand are secure and the springs are holding well. I hear it mostly when starting out and it speeds up consistent with the tire speed.

I don't feel anything with it. I put the bike on the center stand and manually turned the wheel and didn't feel anything tapping or binding. The wheel clears everything under there. I then ran the rear wheel in gear with the engine and don't hear anything unusual, so it seems to be only when the suspension is under stress?

Any suggestions helpful. I am taking it in for routine maintenance and new chain/sprockets/and lube and adjust next week, but this is concerning me now.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Have you done any maintenance that disturbed the position of the rear caliper? Is your chain starting to bind, or is your exhaust loose? Real worn cush drive in rear sprocket? Shark fins forming on sprockets?:confused:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have one link kinked, that's why I'm changing the chain soon. Otherwise all look good. The sprockets look good too. No mods or changes recently to it. I can't tell if it's my helmet acoustics or what, I think it's coming from the right side too. My caliper seems to have a lot of play in it and I think my brake might be dragging a little, but doesn't explain the thumping I hear.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Had the same noise, went away with chain and sprocket change out

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I have one link kinked, that's why I'm changing the chain soon. Otherwise all look good. The sprockets look good too. No mods or changes recently to it. I can't tell if it's my helmet acoustics or what, I think it's coming from the right side too. My caliper seems to have a lot of play in it and I think my brake might be dragging a little, but doesn't explain the thumping I hear.
It's most likely the links. The noise can be transmitted (ventriloquist) to other areas of the bike.:yesnod:

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Lots of lube inside the chain rollers might temporarily quiet it for diagnosis.

Play in the rear caliper? There should be very little play. Check everything for missing bolts and bolt tightness. Minor drag is normal.

When the rear wheel is off, always check the three bearings (two wheel & one sprocket) for smooth, silent operation, and check that the rubber cushion absorbers are tightly holding the sprocket in place with the wheel turned on its side.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I will be looking closer at it tomorrow night.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts